Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 912E - need help with 2.0 motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
x98boardwell
Hello!!

I own a 76' 912E. The car came to me with the entire top end apart. This included the intake runners, smog/air injectors, smog pump, wiring, etc...

I am looking for some help with reassembling and utilizing some pics to better guide me.

I realize this is different due to me having the "E" electronic fuel injection but that is mainly wiring and adding a few things into the intake. Would appreciate any advice or guidance so I can put this back together and get it running prior to the tearing apart to paint and rebuild.

Thanks for any help!
Bryan
rick 918-S
I believe there are a couple guys on here that have E's welcome.png
krazykonrad
welcome.png What can we help with?
914werke
I have an complete motor including FI that came out of Ralph Meany's shop after his passed few yrs ago. Just been sitting in a corner since.
LMK I can take a few pics.
jim_hoyland
? Can a 912e fit into a 914 ?
JeffBowlsby
You have the workshop manual right?

Here are a few photos of a stock 912E engine bay with L-Jet:
Krieger
Hopefully you have all the correct parts.
x98boardwell
Guys, thanks for all the help and pics. I had "email notification" turned on but for some reason didn't receive any alerts so I just checked back to check in.

I believe I do have all the parts. The main one I'm missing that I can see right away is on the drivers side of the motor (LHD) there is a tube that comes up and allows an injector of some sort sit on an angle around the round filter. I am definitely missing that from what i can tell.

I also don't have any guidance on how the fuel lines are ran and it's not clear in the pictures.

Any other information surrounding this would be helpful. Do we know how the tube that comes up (maybe that's the 5th injector or cold start solenoid) attaches to the intake runners or near the fuel injectors? No clear image. I'm guessing thats the #2 cylinder... closest to front of car on drivers side?

I do have a relatively bad PDF copy of the workshop manual but unsure if it's complete and the pictures are hard to see. It also focuses on fixing things rather than disassembly and reassembly if that makes sense so it's not spelling out the order at which items need to be attached. I am in CA so will be reinstalling the air injectors and tubes also.

Thanks again for helping!
wonkipop
QUOTE(x98boardwell @ Nov 12 2022, 01:02 PM) *

Guys, thanks for all the help and pics. I had "email notification" turned on but for some reason didn't receive any alerts so I just checked back to check in.

I believe I do have all the parts. The main one I'm missing that I can see right away is on the drivers side of the motor (LHD) there is a tube that comes up and allows an injector of some sort sit on an angle around the round filter. I am definitely missing that from what i can tell.

I also don't have any guidance on how the fuel lines are ran and it's not clear in the pictures.

Any other information surrounding this would be helpful. Do we know how the tube that comes up (maybe that's the 5th injector or cold start solenoid) attaches to the intake runners or near the fuel injectors? No clear image. I'm guessing thats the #2 cylinder... closest to front of car on drivers side?

I do have a relatively bad PDF copy of the workshop manual but unsure if it's complete and the pictures are hard to see. It also focuses on fixing things rather than disassembly and reassembly if that makes sense so it's not spelling out the order at which items need to be attached. I am in CA so will be reinstalling the air injectors and tubes also.

Thanks again for helping!

the tube you are talking about is the fresh air injection (smog pump).
it might also do exhaust gas recirculation.
not really sure how they work exactly, but imagine its very similar to smog pump on 75/76 2.0 D jet 914s.

its the one bit that is not on a 74 914 1.8 L jet so i don't know much about how the smog pump works. the 75 1.8 did run exhaust gas recirculation in california but not the smog pump.

a lot of the rest of the FI system will be very similar if not almost identical to 1.8 L jet 914s.

somewhere i have come across some diagrams and stuff for 912 E which i might have filed away. will have a look when i get some time.
wonkipop
ok, i knew i'd seen the 912 L jet somewhere.

it was on mr. bowlsby's fantastic website.

link to a a little tech publication he has there.
i think originally the booklet might have been made by someone on the 912 registry.

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Man08.pdf

another one from mr. b's website covering the smog pump on the 75/76 914 Djet.
a factory tech publication that goes right through changes for 75 MY and shows the smog pump. imagine smog pump on 912E fairly similar.

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zMan_1975_S...iningManual.pdf

can't help much more than that.
912 E is not a car that ever came to australia.
pretty rare car for even for the USA?

looks like a 912 E had both exhaust gas recirculation and a smog pump.
double the trouble. biggrin.gif

looking at all those engine photos posted above i can recognize a lot of the L jet components that are also on our 1.8s. just in slightly different spots sometimes compared to the 914. an interesting mish mash of parts, some from 2.0 D jet some from or similar to 1.8 L jet.

i imagine the fuel rails and fuel circuit plumbing is close if not identical to a 1.8 L jet.
use a 1,8 L jet fuel hose diagram for guidance? injectors are different, but not by much, just a different flow rate. there are diagrams posted around the web for 1.8 fuel line layout.
the L jet manual link to mr. b's website has a vac hose diagram in it for a 912 E.

good luck. beerchug.gif

ps you could use the 914 factory manual, section on fuel injection to help you out with some of the L jet components. how to get them on and off etc. most of that stuff will be the same. aux air valves, decel valves etc etc.

here is a link to the 914 factory manuals. all you need is the section (volume) on fuel injection. download that bit. L jet stuff is in there.

http://p914-6info.net/Manuals.htm
wonkipop
this is what i can spot using that very nice factory photo of engine mr. b posted up above in his very good gallery of mostly unmolested engines.

the round filter is part of the air injection system and is hooked up to the pump driven off the fan. it would have a plumbing array of hard pipes coming off it running down into the cylinder heads where there should be ports. i believe it will also run a pipe around the back of the engine under all the intake plumbing and connect to similar ports on the rhs head.

the exhaust gas recirculation looks like it sits right next to it. maybe mounted off same bracket or adjacent bracket. that will be a pipe that comes up from below off muffler or exhaust header. this is vacuum operated off a port on the throttle body. should be the port that is on the upstream side of the throttle plate. this will also have a pipe coming out of it (a hard pipe not a hose) that will connect into the intake flexible section that runs between the air cleaner the throttle body. it feeds exhaust gas into the engine intake only under certain conditions. usually at cruise part throttle when engine vacuum operates the vacuum valve on the EGR.

thats all the obvious smog equipment. apart from the distributor, which is actually the main bit of smog equipment! smile.gif

i can't tell in photos how that is hooked up in a 912E.
there was a subtle variety of ways it was connected in the 914 L jets from 74 through 75.
the way it finally ended up with the california 75 1.8s was that -
1) the vacuum advance side of the vac can on the distributor was left disconnected.
hose tucked under intake plenum. the vac retard side of can was hooked up to a vacuum port on the engine intake plenum (downstream) side of the throttle plate.
i'm guessing, but its an educated guess that the 912E was the same as that.

EDIT - ps. i was just taking a bit of a look at the vac hose diagram in the booklet that i posted a link to on mr. b's website and i'm not sure that vac hose diagram is entirely trustworthy. its got the vac advance can hose on the distributor hooked up to the EGR valve. i can't see how that would do anything (might even be bad). those vac cans and vac valves only work off engine vacuum. looking at some of the photos of engines above i can see the vac line from the EGR going into the throttle body. that makes sense. so maybe you better be careful with that vac hose diagram in the 912 E L jet booklet. on that same front i have seen some pretty mucked up vac hose diagrams for 1.8 L jets and it took us quite a bit of work to sort out how they really went in 74/75.

Click to view attachment
x98boardwell
Thank you for all that info. The links were super helpful!!! The site has been down due to the hack so I couldn't access anything until I randomly tried today.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.