Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yellow zinc plating?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
Another tact to my posting in the Classifieds for yellow zinc seatbelt anchor spacers might be to get the originals cleaned and replated.
Anyone here do such plating for two small parts? No need for a special run; can wait until a next scheduled run as I do have ones that will work, just not like factory OEM. smile.gif

Pic of current ones:
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I might have a couple already done. Give me the measurements for the washer and if I have some, I’ll send them to you.
lesorubcheek
If you can't find any, I'd be happy to run them through my home-brew process. Been playing around with plating for a few months and still learning, so not perfect by any means, but hopefully good enough for use. Here's a brake caliper for reference. After cleaning, parts need a few strikes with zinc, then a dichromate dip for the gold color effect (and protection). Just let me know if you'd like me to give 'em a try.
Click to view attachment

Dan
StarBear
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2022, 05:15 PM) *

I might have a couple already done. Give me the measurements for the washer and if I have some, I’ll send them to you.

@mepstein Great, Mark!
O.D.= 28mm. I.D.= 12mm. Thickness = 4mm.
StarBear
QUOTE(lesorubcheek @ Nov 11 2022, 06:31 PM) *

If you can't find any, I'd be happy to run them through my home-brew process. Been playing around with plating for a few months and still learning, so not perfect by any means, but hopefully good enough for use. Here's a brake caliper for reference. After cleaning, parts need a few strikes with zinc, then a dichromate dip for the gold color effect (and protection). Just let me know if you'd like me to give 'em a try.
Click to view attachment

Dan

Dan; Very generous of you. Even if Mark has some (above) I’d be glad to let you practice and see how they turn out. A few others on the car can use replacing, too. dry.gif
Will PM you.
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 11 2022, 06:17 PM) *

Dan; Very generous of you. Even if Mark has some (above) I’d be glad to let you practice and see how they turn out. A few others on the car can use replacing, too. dry.gif
Will PM you.

More than happy to give'm a shot. Send whatever you'd like, as long as it's smaller that a brake caliper half, it'll fit in the cooler, er uh, chemical tank, that I rigged up for plating. I'm not gonna say what I used to plate the throttle cross member and rod since my wife may read these posts one day. biggrin.gif

Dan
stownsen914
There's a fellow over on the Pelican board that does small batches of plating. Shaun at Tru6 is his handle, I believe. Reasonable prices.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 11 2022, 04:12 PM) *

Another tact to my posting in the Classifieds for yellow zinc seatbelt anchor spacers might be to get the originals cleaned and replated.
Anyone here do such plating for two small parts? No need for a special run; can wait until a next scheduled run as I do have ones that will work, just not like factory OEM. smile.gif

Pic of current ones:
Click to view attachment

Steve
Wire brush till very bright. Do the same to all your dull steel fasteners and deliver to
Quality Plating in Paterson, NJ
I think it is called yellow chromate
Talk to Mark
Very reasonable.
Rory
StarBear
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 11 2022, 11:48 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 11 2022, 04:12 PM) *

Pic of current ones:
Click to view attachment

Steve
Wire brush till very bright. Do the same to all your dull steel fasteners and deliver to
Quality Plating in Paterson, NJ
I think it is called yellow chromate
Talk to Mark
Very reasonable.
Rory

Thanks, Rory! That’s a great contact to keep in my car support list stable.
SR
gandalf_025
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Nov 11 2022, 08:27 PM) *

There's a fellow over on the Pelican board that does small batches of plating. Shaun at Tru6 is his handle, I believe. Reasonable prices.

He does not do plating himself.. He is a middle man that provides the service and charges for his "Value Added" service of cleaning the parts before plating and then tumbling and polishing after..

His prices reflect his value added...
sixnotfour
PMB does it Every Day..
TonyA
Built this plating system but have not perfected the process yet. I’ll let you know. I plan on doing a bunch. Click to view attachment
lesorubcheek
QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 12 2022, 07:54 PM) *

Built this plating system but have not perfected the process yet. I’ll let you know. I plan on doing a bunch.

Nice! rocking nana.gif

Dan
StarBear
QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 12 2022, 08:54 PM) *

Built this plating system but have not perfected the process yet. I’ll let you know. I plan on doing a bunch. Click to view attachment

Tony; I never knew! Be careful!
StarBear
QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 11 2022, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2022, 05:15 PM) *

@mepstein Great, Mark!
O.D.= 28mm. I.D.= 12mm. Thickness = 4mm.

@mepstein Mark; any luck finding two nice ones (that’s what she said)? I found some near substitutes at the local hardware store and new ones are “significant back order”. The repeated ones turned out to be more pitted than realized. Thanks!
Van B
Steve-o,
I bought a caswell plating kit for my project. I’m not anywhere close to getting to plating, but I’d be happy to add your parts in when I get to it. But it will probably be a few months until I’m to that point wacko.gif
nathanxnathan
I did some plating with a Caswell setup over the long weekend. It took a bit of failure to get to the point of being happy with the finish, but I did a lot of parts and they came out really awesome in the end. Most of what I did was mid sized stuff — a bunch of camber plates and rear shock/sway bar bolts, lug nuts, front turn signal housing brackets, front lid releases, pedal cluster stuff, and other misc stuff. Smaller stuff is going to be a challenge but I have a plan. Those washers would be easy. It helps to have a blasting setup imo.

Getting everything is a bit $$ — the kit, the power supply, and the heater notably, but with all the parts I've got ready to plate, having it done by a place would be a lot more and also it would be really hard to keep straight what goes to what hardware-wise.

I have like 3 cars worth of stuff to plate and I got though about 1/3 of it so far. I need to get more of the Caswell zinc powder and the liquid, and I'm going to do another round of plating soon.
StarBear
QUOTE(Van B @ Nov 30 2022, 08:34 PM) *

Steve-o,
I bought a caswell plating kit for my project. I’m not anywhere close to getting to plating, but I’d be happy to add your parts in when I get to it. But it will probably be a few months until I’m to that point wacko.gif

Van; Thanks. No rush for now as the close ones I got from the hardware store suffice, but not accurate size or thickness. Will stay in touch.
lesorubcheek
Steve allowed me to give it my best shot on these washers, but unfortunately after rust removal using diluted phosphoric acid, they were pitted badly. I did 4 layers of zinc, but it didn't help fill the pitting.
Click to view attachment

Unfortunately, with 914World dead, we had no way to communicate. I gave 'em a quick dichromate dip and just tried to get 'em back to Steve as quickly as possible. Really sorry they didn't turn out any better.
Click to view attachment
I really don't know a solution to pitting other than grind it down, or build it up with welding and then grind, but that's getting pretty involved for washers. Hopefully some new ones will be available soon.

Dan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.