Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Next stupid question - jack stands at body donuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikeyb33
me=dumbass, round 2:

re. my previous thread, looking to find a suitable "jack adaptor" so's I could jack up the side of my car using the car's jack point, & put the car on jack stands.

Bought a sww-weet "jack pad" from Automotion.com. It came in on Saturday.
So I went out to the garage with my spiffy new jack pad,
dragged the floor jack over to the car,
dug out some 2x4's & chocked the opp. side wheels,
went looking for the jack stands, and then (and only then, dammit) it occurred to me:

The tops of my jack stands are square(ish).
The lift/support points on the car are those round 'donuts'...
...so how TF do I support the latter, using the former?

Was thinking of getting some chunks of wood (4x4's, say), and using a hole-cutter to "counter-bore" a hole in the wood, of same approx. diameter and as deep as the donut protrudes from the car. Then, I dunno, maybe notch the wood to correspond to the tops of the jack stands. Or something. I don't want to have to buy new jack stands just to fit the body-donuts.

Does anyone have any better ideas? What have you folks done?
(I liked the idea someone suggested in my prev. post, of using the rear trailing arm pivot tube - but that still leaves me puzzled on what to do with the front.)

yeah I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than necessary - (refer to top line of this post...)
mike
chilli
Put the stands on the doughnuts and let the car down, or put 2X4 on stands and let the car down,

For the front put stands under the front torsion bars mounts, unless rust will not allow it.
mike driving.gif
lapuwali
square peg, round hole, works fine anyway.

andys
Mike,

This is what I did. I made these from 2" water pipe.

Andy
andys
Detailed pic
Aaron Cox
andy! wow...thats a great idea!!!! you should make them smile.gif

BTW - i have wicked tall jackstands, so i support the car by the tube part pf the rear trailing arms (in the cradle of the stand) and up front under the A arms....
mikeyb33
excellent, Smithers...
thanks for the suggestions folks! Good ideas.

(yeah Andy you should sell those.. that part looks seriously cool & useful)

mike
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 9 2005, 11:58 AM)
andy! wow...thats a great idea!!!! you should make them smile.gif

agree.gif

I thought of something like this to weld to the top of my jackstands a while back... I have a cheap, small floor jack and the cup thing for the jack is a PERFECT fit on the donut... I thought about buying 3 more of the $30 jacks and pulling that part off smile.gif course, that would RUIN 4 jacks... to make a good set of stands! lol2.gif
RustyWa
QUOTE (andys @ Aug 9 2005, 09:53 AM)
Mike,

This is what I did. I made these from 2" water pipe.

Andy

I made a pair also. They work "gud"!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.