Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: caliper grease
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smrz914
I'm rebuilding my calipers and was wondering if the grease is really necessary. Is brake fluid enough?
rick 918-S
I don't know if it's nessesary... But it can't hurt. I use it for just that reason.
sean_v8_914
yup
RON S.
Very defininately that little dab of grease is important.

If after you've popped out the pistons,you smear a thin layer of caliper grease around the sides of it before re-installing,over the long haul,the piston will remain lubed up so it won't seize in the bore.

I've had a car or two in my lifetime w/a 100k miles or so on'em,and get in one one day to go to work,and after the first stop,have a brake piston not retract.

Driving back to the house w/a glowing rotor is not fun.After disassembly,I've always found that the grease has slowly been used up over time.A little re-greasing,and I'm back in business for another 100k.

The grease is important!

Ron
smrz914
well that settles it. The stuff they gave me looks thinner then I expected. It's more of fluid, not thick like a grease. Sound right?
Thanks
davep
That sounds like the old VW B2 brake assembly paste. Kind of like runny blue jello. I use it all the time when assembling calipers and master cylinders. I don't think it is hydroscopic like brake fluid, so it can be kept around for years without going bad. It lubricates the seals and does not promote rusting of the metal parts. Brake fluid is probably okay if the parts are going to be put in service right away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.