Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picture request re Seat Belts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
I need to replace my original non-retractable belts with something else. I am considering the Seatbelt Planet retractable belts that bolt in at the bottom anchor. Anyone have pictures of this conversion on their car and comments on how it works? Did you have to modify the back pad? Also, any issues with the receiver part? beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we had some specific ones made up by them for the 70-71 914 only and they work great

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 28 2022, 09:00 AM) *

I need to replace my original non-retractable belts with something else. I am considering the Seatbelt Planet retractable belts that bolt in at the bottom anchor. Anyone have pictures of this conversion on their car and comments on how it works? Did you have to modify the back pad? Also, any issues with the receiver part? beerchug.gif

Cairo94507
Might you have a picture Doc? I sort of assume they will work great; but if they do not look right, they will not do. beerchug.gif
914sgofast2
I would love to see an "as installed" picture of the retractable seat belt package that Auto Atlanta sells as well. I have a 1970 and am getting fed up with the stock factory belts that are always in the way or hanging out the door.
Anyone tried the Auto Atlanta belts and have a picture to share with us?
nathanxnathan
It sounds like the whole "thing" mounts right at the upper bolt where the stock ones mount. This doesn't seem like a great option for a stock sort of car.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Seat-Belts-srch.html

Without the recess in the firewall and the late relay board cover that happened I think mid 72, I don't see where else the assembly could go?
mxkinn01
Cairo,
I have a brand new (still in the bag) set from Seat Belt Planet. I ordered for my 73 that I never used. Let me know if you want them at a discounted price.
Thanks
Mike
Click to view attachment
914sgofast2
No one has an “as installed” photo ?
datapace
There's a photo of what they look liked installed in this thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257079
Cairo94507
I appreciate the picture @datapace . I can't do that on my car.
Cairo94507
@mxkinn01 Thanks for the great offer. However, if they are for a '73, they will not fit my car unless I modify the firewall for the retractor which I believe lives down at the bottom by the floor. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
@Cairo94507 - Michael - I know you're not willing to modify your chassis, but...
Clearly, my firewall isn't quite stock. I had SeatBelt planet make me a set with an extra 14" of length and they work a treat. That said, I wonder if there's a chance we could work up a mount that would allow you to secure the retractor down low, like this.

Note that I'm going to need to do something just like this on the Ferrari build since it'll have some sort of door bar, like my LS car and that passes through the fire wall right where the retractor normally lives.

I'll take a look at the chassis today and let you know what I can come up with.
mxkinn01
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 29 2022, 04:45 AM) *

@mxkinn01 Thanks for the great offer. However, if they are for a '73, they will not fit my car unless I modify the firewall for the retractor which I believe lives down at the bottom by the floor. beerchug.gif

No worries. Now I see you have an early car. I thought yours just didn't retract anymore. I guess I should have read the earlier post.
Mike
Cairo94507
PM to Chris @tygaboy pray.gif . Thanks for the pictures everyone. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 29 2022, 10:16 AM) *

@Cairo94507 - Michael - I know you're not willing to modify your chassis, but...
Clearly, my firewall isn't quite stock. I had SeatBelt planet make me a set with an extra 14" of length and they work a treat. That said, I wonder if there's a chance we could work up a mount that would allow you to secure the retractor down low, like this.

Note that I'm going to need to do something just like this on the Ferrari build since it'll have some sort of door bar, like my LS car and that passes through the fire wall right where the retractor normally lives.

I'll take a look at the chassis today and let you know what I can come up with.

The 914 retractable seat belt was superseded by the 944 seat belt. Because of it's mounting location, the 944 belt is longer than the 914 belt, but otherwise the same. You may be able to get 944 belts that would work with the lower mounting location.

Clay
Cairo94507
Thanks Clay- I will check into that. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.