Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - jack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Quinn Moore
Whoops, received an error on this post.

Here's some text.

Looking for a jack...bilstein preferably?. In case I get a flat on the back roads of Wisconsin/ Illinois.
Thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thx,

QM
bdstone914
It is safer to use a scissors jack from a more modern car on the pinch weld. I have seen many original jacks allow the car to pitch forward and bend the jack and or the jack hole. Have also seen them tear the jack hole.
StarBear
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 29 2022, 01:28 PM) *

It is safer to use a scissors jack from a more modern car on the pinch weld. I have seen many original jacks allow the car to pitch forward and bend the jack and or the jack hole. Have also seen them tear the jack hole.

Yep. AMHIK! Great to have for a "preservation" and "originality" piece, but not much else. If this, I have one for you (just shipping).
Quinn Moore
Thanks guys, yes I do recall (mid 80's) my '72 would/could get a little "tippy" with the original jack. I'll go with the scissor jack advice. I'd also like to have a bilstein strapped in there for trips down memory lane. I'll PM starbear.....thank you both.

QM
StarBear
QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Nov 30 2022, 08:16 AM) *

Thanks guys, yes I do recall (mid 80's) my '72 would/could get a little "tippy" with the original jack. I'll go with the scissor jack advice. I'd also like to have a bilstein strapped in there for trips down memory lane. I'll PM starbear.....thank you both.

QM

Here’s the pic. I believe (?) it’s not a 73, but a late one, 75-76, as it has a single piece tongue and a painted, not chrome, cap. Has the green dot!
PM me if you still want it.
Click to view attachment
Quinn Moore
QUOTE(StarBear @ Nov 30 2022, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Nov 30 2022, 08:16 AM) *

QM

Here’s the pic. I believe (?) it’s not a 73, but a late one, 75-76, as it has a single piece tongue and a painted, not chrome, cap. Has the green dot!
PM me if you still want it.
Click to view attachment

I'll take it!
beerchug.gif
Thank you,

QM
Literati914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 29 2022, 12:28 PM) *

This is a subject/issue I’ve had in mind to address at some point…
I really like the original jacks (mainly for the original and streamlined look when mounted and not in use) - and was wondering if there may be a way to improve them. What could be done? I’m thinking of some kind of a plate that would slide onto the bottom to make a more stable base.. then would come off for storage. Of course it still wouldn’t be ideal on a rusty car with weak jack points, but ok otherwise. Thoughts on a good design or in general?

StarBear
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 30 2022, 01:20 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 29 2022, 12:28 PM) *

This is a subject/issue I’ve had in mind to address at some point…
I really like the original jacks (mainly for the original and streamlined look when mounted and not in use) - and was wondering if there may be a way to improve them. What could be done? I’m thinking of some kind of a plate that would slide onto the bottom to make a more stable base.. then would come off for storage. Of course it still wouldn’t be ideal on a rusty car with weak jack points, but ok otherwise. Thoughts on a good design or in general?

Certainly a bigger base would help but only if secured to base to prevent shifting though with the height and attachment hole issue not sure if even attempting a design fix is safe. IMHO these jacks are solely for show and originality. AMHIK!
rhodyguy
You have to carry a set of chocks for the wheels still on the ground if you intend on using a OEM jack. Pray the flat occurs on a level surface.
TheCabinetmaker
I'm one of those who have damaged my car with one of those. Will never use one again. Never!
TheCabinetmaker
Dupe post
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.