Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who owns this car and likes outlaw 356 cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
Anyone recognize this car?
I've got questions and would very much like to speak with the builder/owner.
Looks like they love outlaw 365 cars, just like me too!
Thanks!

BTW: This is a repost from my request on Facebook for those of you who follow the Porsche 914 group.

Click to view attachment
carr914
the 356 might just be a car in restoration - looks like the windshield is out
Cairo94507
On my last Irish Green 914-6, a '70, I did that same set-up for oil coolers. 1 behind each fog light grill and it worked like a charm. beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 1 2022, 05:44 AM) *

On my last Irish Green 914-6, a '70, I did that same set-up for oil coolers. 1 behind each fog light grill and it worked like a charm. beerchug.gif

@Cairo94507 Any photos of how it was setup, I didn't think it was possible...I love the clean look! I'm sure I'll end up with some kind of center cooler, but like thinking outside the box.

Re: 356
I'm not on f'book, where's that 356 located? Doesn't look like any in my area that I'm aware of.
Cairo94507
@JmuRiz - These are the only photos I have of that oil cooler system. Back then the VW oil coolers were almost free. I had a friend who had a whole bunch of SS line and all I had to do was buy a few fittings. I installed the thermostat on the firewall on the passenger side. The whole system was probably around $100.

I also eliminated the "warts" on that car. I was running a 3.0 with CIS. Be kind, that was back around 1985 and this was my daily driver and a 914-6 was not really worth a lot.

Note - the tires you see in the work in progress photos are rollers while I was doing the body/paint work. I did not drive with those almost bald tires. I ran deep sixes on the car and these tires were on the 14" rims that came on the car. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
-JR-
Thanks Cairo!

This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. I want to build my car with a similar oil cooler setup. I prefer this to the GT front bumper cut out. However I'm "hoping" it get enough oil cooler !AND! condenser core shoved into these areas. Likely have some electric fans installed as well.

I'll be running a 3.6L

Any idea what size or types of coil coolers you used and how were the oil temps on your 3.0 in the heat?
Cairo94507
If I recall correctly they were VW 411 coolers. The temps we're always at the thermostat set temperature about 195 degrees unless I was really driving it hard and it might have crept up to 220 maybe. I know I never had an overheating issue.

The only thing I would consider differently is to use a hard GT line set-up running the length of the longs instead of the SS flex-line I used. I would also likely use rubber lines, like the factory oil lines on a 6, for the remainder of the system. Mostly for aesthetics and any noise or vibration. beerchug.gif

It's funny this old system came up now. I am just getting ready to re-do the thermostat location on my current car. The thermostat is in the frunk and it belongs on the firewall on the passenger side. So we will be relocating it and then making new rubber lines on both ends of the hard GT lines. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.