Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow Dolly Trailer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
Tow Dolly Trailer

Question to the world?

Has anyone used a tow dolly like this flavor to tow a 914?

Trying to remember if someone used one like this at RRC this year

Thanks for the input

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment
Bagpype
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 2 2022, 09:17 PM) *

Tow Dolly Trailer

Question to the world?

Thanks for the input

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment

I always just rent a uhaul trailer that you can place the entire car on. I don’t want to unnecessarily do any damage to a rear drive car with a tow dolly. Front drive cars can go on it all day. Some rear wheel drives can go on a dolly but I just don’t think the risk is worth it. Unless you’re not hauling it very far at all.
mepstein
I'm not a fan. Especially with your car.
Cairo94507
If I made the commitment to tow my car, it would be a full double-axle trailer with a nose guard on it. But for your car Bob, I would haul it enclosed. beerchug.gif
ndfrigi
Yes sir Bob pls don’t tow your beautiful 914-6 with that kind of dolly!
Retroracer
FWIW - I use one for my car sometimes. Not so much different than a full trailer, the car is equally exposed to the elements. Reversing a full trailer is easier - with a car and dolly you need to plan ahead to NEVER need to reverse the rig...!

The one advantage is that they take up much less storage space than a full trailer, if your property is short on storage area.

- Tony
Chris914n6
They don't play nicely with low cars. Better to flat tow if not full trailering.
mxkinn01
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 2 2022, 06:17 PM) *

Tow Dolly Trailer

Question to the world?

Thanks for the input

Best Bob B

Click to view attachment

Our friends @TMM914 from Canada used one of those to tow from Toronto to salt lake city.
burton73
Well, I guess a rental of a U-Haul unit would work. My only Esperance is in past my 20 Searay Boat behind my 84 full size GMC Jimmy or my motorcycle trailer behind my 72 Bug with 3 250CC motocross Bikes

This was all a very long time ago.

It is a lot of money for a short Aluminum P Hauler. If I could get a deal on one maybe.

LA to Idlewild is not that far of a drive on the streets but Lake Tahoe is a long drive, and I would not want to drive it that far.

The problem is when you have a car finished to the level that my 6 is I am worried that something would happen to it.

Bob B
Cairo94507
Hi Bob @burton73 - I totally get that. I have only trailered (enclosed) my car 1 time and that was when I first brought it home from Los Angeles. I did not want the maiden voyage to be a 6 hour ride through horrible LA traffic and then on Highway 5. Since then it has been to LA a couple of times, always driven there and back.

My car is a driver, not a trailer queen. But, there is something to be said for AC and a comfortable new car ride when the trip is 400-plus miles. My brother and I have talked about buying a double axle low deck trailer with a guard in the front to protect the car, hold tools, straps, etc. I don't know if I would actually use the trailer enough though. Something to think about.

It kind of reminds me of the Sturgis guys who trailer their bikes and stop outside of Sturgis, unload and ride them into town. Those guys arrive nice and fresh looking instead of like they rode 1K miles.... beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.