Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 getting a new life
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Motosan
Getting ready to start phase one of the build.
1974 2.0l
Parts are all ready to go.
1.New rebuilt transaxle, tangerine racing shift linkage kit, and shift rod bearing.

2. Front and rear bilstein struts, camber plate bushings, ball joints, polybronze control arm bearings, low friction control arm bearings, bump steer kit, drop link bushings, polybronze trail arm bearings, and turbo tie rods.

3. Rebuilt front/rear calipers, pads, calipers, brake lines, tangerine racing master cylinder brace, and a 19mm master cylinder.

4. 914 rubber - door panels, full rubber/seal package, rs door handles, visor package, and h4 lens/led lights.

5. Refurbished dash, knee pad, font/rear targa pads, refurbished seats/center console pad, carpet kit, threshold trim, windshield, mono Indy steering wheel, and a retro manufacturing bluetooth radio.

6. Tangerine racing Evo exhaust and heat exchangers.

Looking forward to giving this car a new life!
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Great start!
billh1963
Looking forward to seeing pictures of the build!
mlindner
Looks like fun Motosan, enjoy the ride and post pics as you go. Mark
Cairo94507
Nice plan Motosan. I may have missed it, is this a new acquisition for you? I see you have spec'd poly-bronze bushings for part of your suspension. What is the intended use for your car? Street driven or tracked?

I had poly-bronze type bushings in past 914-6 cars I street drove and found them to be a bit jarring. I went with Elephant Racing rubber in my current 914-6 and am very happy. By the way, Chuck Moreland at Elephant Racing is a terrific resource to talk about suspension. One of my good friends installed the poly-bronze in his 914-6 during restoration and he said as soon as he drove my car he regretted going poly-bronze in his.

Just food for thought. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
agree.gif
I have all the "no rubber" Elephant suspension parts in my car: Polybronze in the rear, sphericals in the front, no rubber at the tops of any of the shocks.
It's harsh on bumpy roads and sharp-edged bumps. Absolutely awesome when things are smooth(er).
930cabman
Great project, keep us posted with your progress. What are you using for a power plant?
Motosan
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 4 2022, 07:34 AM) *

Nice plan Motosan. I may have missed it, is this a new acquisition for you? I see you have spec'd poly-bronze bushings for part of your suspension. What is the intended use for your car? Street driven or tracked?

I had poly-bronze type bushings in past 914-6 cars I street drove and found them to be a bit jarring. I went with Elephant Racing rubber in my current 914-6 and am very happy. By the way, Chuck Moreland at Elephant Racing is a terrific resource to talk about suspension. One of my good friends installed the poly-bronze in his 914-6 during restoration and he said as soon as he drove my car he regretted going poly-bronze in his.

Just food for thought. beerchug.gif

It’s just a weekend car for me, as yes it is a new acquisition. Lots of canyons out my door, so that was my thought for the bushings. I went back and forth on that one! Hope it works but looking forward to testing.
Motosan
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 4 2022, 08:57 AM) *

Great project, keep us posted with your progress. What are you using for a power plant?

I have a stock 2.0 for now. I have a friend with 2.7 that I might consider down the road.
Motosan
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 4 2022, 08:05 AM) *

agree.gif
I have all the "no rubber" Elephant suspension parts in my car: Polybronze in the rear, sphericals in the front, no rubber at the tops of any of the shocks.
It's harsh on bumpy roads and sharp-edged bumps. Absolutely awesome when things are smooth(er).

That’s good to hear! I’m not going to be using the car for much beyond a couple rallies a year and slow canyon drives.
Motosan
Good news is I now have a working radio. Bad news is it seems half the screws I have come across are stripped and rusted. Going to have to invest in an impact screw driver. Any kits out there that you all have used for replacement hardware??
Motosan
Finally getting some work done. Trans is rebuilt and going in, a few tangerine racing/jwest parts going in, and some interior pieces getting removed.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 4 2022, 10:05 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

I have had delrin and needle bearings in the suspension on my six conversion car over the years. I found the ride to be harsh for street use. I went back to the Elephant rubber replacement bushings years ago and I have been happy with it.

For a pure race car, I would use the needle bearing setup. It moves smooth and does not flex.

Just my $.02

Clay
Motosan
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 18 2023, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 4 2022, 10:05 AM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

I have had delrin and needle bearings in the suspension on my six conversion car over the years. I found the ride to be harsh for street use. I went back to the Elephant rubber replacement bushings years ago and I have been happy with it.

For a pure race car, I would use the needle bearing setup. It moves smooth and does not flex.

Just my $.02

Clay

Thanks for the info!

Motosan
Have the center console out for the shifter install and trying to decide why I would put it back in. Anyone regret not having put it back? Seems like a very big box that holds a couple gauges. Looks like I can replace all the gauges and consolidate them into one dash unit.
bob164
Re: "Any kits out there that you all have used for replacement hardware??"

Here you go for the hardware you might need, see post #8. I'm not saying you should buy the whole list, but it looks like a good reference. Also AA has a kit and Mark at 914RUBBER stated he might be putting area specific kits together.

Good luck with the project.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=Nuts,and,bolts
Geezer914
Nice list of parts! You are going to love how the car shifts with the Tangerine linkage and Renn shifter. If you are not running a rear sway bar, I would add a set of 140 lb rear springs. Good luck with the build.
Motosan
Click to view attachment

Torsion bars were very stuck but turbo tie rods and a arms went on according to plan.
Motosan
Front end almost done, rear end started, and a very rusty/dented exhaust blasted/primed.
Couple of small bumps in the road but making progress!
mlindner
Great job. Did mine four years ago. It was so much fun I wish I could help. Best, Mark
930cabman
QUOTE(Motosan @ Jan 26 2023, 12:16 AM) *

Front end almost done, rear end started, and a very rusty/dented exhaust blasted/primed.
Couple of small bumps in the road but making progress!

What's a road without bumps? Lookin good, keep the momentum
Motosan
Rear bushings, struts, and exhaust all on. Just need to bleed the brakes and adjust the shifter before I finish the first stage of the build.
CCE
QUOTE(Motosan @ Jan 27 2023, 11:12 PM) *

Rear bushings, struts, and exhaust all on. Just need to bleed the brakes and adjust the shifter before I finish the first stage of the build.

Can I ask if the rear springs are the original ones, and in which ring clips did you fit the height on the bilsteins please.
CCE

Can I ask if the rear springs are the original ones, and in which ring clips did you fit the height on the bilsteins please.
Motosan
QUOTE(CCE @ Jan 28 2023, 01:18 AM) *

We used the original springs(I think they are original anyways). They have three green paint marks.
I went back and worth on replacing these but going to drive the car and see how it all turns out before replacing them.
I used the very top clip as it seemed to line up with the original setup and was happy with the ride height. Won’t know for certain until the car is back on the ground, but I’m sure there is going to be some fine tuning with the setup.
Motosan
Brakes bled and almost ready to send off for alinement. Phase one almost done!
Motosan
Car is driving, braking, and shifting! Feels like a new car!
Going to take a couple weeks off and then move on to the interior restoration.
Motosan
Ran into some issues with the key engaging the tumbler. Running out of time and money so decided to just use a push button. The dash already had a cut out from a 90s alarm so I just stuck it there.

Also found a completely rusted out section in the gas tank, so had to replace that as well.
Finished up with swapping out the fuse panel for a new jwest unit. Slowing getting there!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.