Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Momo Hub Clarification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
The Double S
I have a 1970 914 but I suspect the previous owners used a late donor car when originally restoring. The dash and a number of other things look to be from a late car. I suspect the steering column is also late...maybe?

Looking to upgrade the steering wheel to a 370mm Protipo and as I'm looking at it I suspect I will need the late Momo Hub, part# 8002.

Can anyone confirm based on the attached pictures?

Currently the car has a 350mm Dino 5 bolt wheel on it and is set up for the 2 wire horn button.

Thanks in advance.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
The Double S
Click to view attachment
The Double S
Click to view attachment
Retroracer
hi - looks like you have the indicator + wiper stalks - so that would indicate a late model steering column; although one could envision constructing some Frankenstein hybrid using a combo of late/early bits....? Best way is to check where the column attaches to the dash frame - the early type has a smooth casting there, the later ones have bent sheet metal.

- Tony
The Double S
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 3 2022, 12:45 PM) *

hi - looks like you have the indicator + wiper stalks - so that would indicate a late model steering column; although one could envision constructing some Frankenstein hybrid using a combo of late/early bits....? Best way is to check where the column attaches to the dash frame - the early type has a smooth casting there, the later ones have bent sheet metal.

- Tony

That's fitting because the nickname for the car has been Frankenstein lol.

To clarify, are you talking about where the steering column runs through the tunnel behind the lower dash? I'll see if I can get a good pic.
The Double S
@Retroracer This is about the best shot I could get under there

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
I think that shot is too far down from the console - you want a shot from underneath where the key / steering lock area is.

Also, off topic, and engaging Nanny mode: putting my electrical wiring hat on, looking at the pic and seeing a red wire (possibly +12V?) cable tied to a sharp metal edge makes me shudder a little. Pls think about securing it in a safer manner or sheathing it somehow...? Nanny mode disengaged.

- Tony
The Double S
Thanks for the safety check. The car is actually not running and the battery is pulled. If I would have took a picture a few inches to the right of the masterpiece of electrical work from the previous owner, that Nanny might have turned psychotic. Seriously, good looking out though.

Jumping back to the steering column, PT# from the under side is 91461330613. Picture below:
Click to view attachment
The Double S
Click to view attachment
The Double S
Checking back in. I got the Momo 8002 hub and the fitment is correct to the steering column. Now to get the wheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.