Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuzzy Door Track Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
What’s the advice on removing the fuzzy seal’s aluminum retaining tracks at the top of the doors for paint and/or fuzzy seal replacement?

I’ve already completely destroyed one of them trying to remove it for a complete primer job before paint - not to mention also enlarging the sheet metal screw holes on the door itself (including broken drill bits headbang.gif ) where it mounted. That was done after liberal amounts of penetrating oil to the screws front and back. The little sheet metal screws are frozen solid (on my other door) also, as well as these screws being small and prone to stripping at the philips head. I could just leave it on and tape off really well for paint and primer but I’ll have to remove one track from my parts car to replace the one I’ve already destroyed either way. So, how is this best approached?

Also, is it even possible to remove the old fuzzy seal and replace with a new one, without removal of the aluminum track?

914Sixer
No if your using OEM fuzzy. Original strip had metal base that slides into U shaped channel. Do not know what the reproduction stuff is made of.
Front yard mechanic
Just did this removal today one little screw was stuck so I put needle nose vice grips on the inside to loosen it. Then unscrewed it. Tap the middle down at the screw location then the outside screw location to keep the track from bending smash.gif
bdstone914
I just went thru this with a car. The painter did not mask the fuzzies and i had to remove them. Yes the holes can get over sized. I made some small plates to plates with predrilled holes on the inside of the door..
By the way the standard screw is a 2.2mm x 13mm screw. I got them at Belmetric. I used the 914 Rubber fuzzies and they dont fit well as they are too narrow. I had to pinch the strips so they did not fall out.
Mikey914
Well we have 2 types of rubber strips. The early that is the exact reproduction of the OEM, the late style The late style we added a fuzzy to the surface of the rubber to make if slide on the window without grabbing.

The must be tight or they pop out. Stretching while pushing in with glycerin helps.
Literati914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 4 2022, 06:21 PM) *

..I put needle nose vice grips on the inside to loosen it. Then unscrewed it. Tap the middle down at the screw location then the outside screw location to keep the track from bending smash.gif

I had tried vice grips briefly but they were a bit bigger than I needed, it was clunky and I was already frustrated .. I’ll go back and put a smaller pair on ‘em - thanks.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.