Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein RSR Struts - how much lower ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
making plans for the 911's winter suspension refit. (you can pretend it'd for the 914.6...) and considering options. always liked the idea of the Bilstein raised-spindle RSR struts that should give me at least as much suspension travel as stock with a lowered front end, and the damping i want.

so - how much is the spindle raised over stock, and can i use standard non-centerlock hubs ? (i'm already set for the S calipers i'll need with the 3.5" brake spacing ...
Brad Roberts
The problem with raised struts: your 15 inch wheel cant be used. The ball joint will hit the rim half (with the RSR's I have seen/had in my possession.

Safely.. you can raise them 10-12mm's.

B
seanery
are 16" fuchs ok or do you need to go to 17" wheels?
Brad Roberts
We have been abot to get away with 16's on a raised 19mm strut.

B
seanery
What are you putting on the black 3.6?
Brad Roberts
Stock Carrera Boge struts with Koni's.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 25 2003, 02:07 PM)
The problem with raised struts: your 15 inch wheel cant be used. The ball joint will hit the rim half...

okay, no problem - the track wheels are already 16's and i have no problem transitioning everything there - maybe even use the 16's for street use (the set i have now is fake Fuchs...), sell the 15's (or keep them for the 914.6) and get a set of 16" Real Fuchs (in 7 & 9) for track use - or 17's ...

i hafta go re-check my original RSR specs - didn't they use 15" 's ? i've seen photographs of several '73 RSR's with bolt-hub Fuchs, as well as track-use '74+ RSR's with centerlocks. did the centerlock wheels have more space in the rim -- or were the '74+ cars on 16's ?

so - to re-ask the question - how much is the spindle on the factory-fresh Bilstein RSR strut raised ? seems i'm remembering 19 or 20mm ...
Brad Roberts
They say 19mm.

The problem is: I measured the last set I had here and they where only raised 4mm's from stock.

I dont know where the 19 number is coming from.. I dont think it was a total from bottom.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.