Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted pictures of your crusty Alternator Harnesses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
We have set up to mass produce the alternator harnesses and will be selling them at $48 each, we are doing a promotion on these and need some pictures of how these things fail, and how many have been melted inside the crunchy plastic that has charred.

Looking for some carnage to show why it's a good idea to check yours out. I threw out ones that were pretty melted, kind of wished I saved a few for pics.

What do ya got?
930cabman
The year was 1987 and the Ford dealers from upstate NY were having a similar contest, "The ugly truck contest" I won with a 1967 Dodge power wagon. The prize was a brand new 1987 Ford Ranger with 12 miles.

It's great for the brand and creates good energy in the community. Thanks for offering, I am sure someone has something quite ugly
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 8 2022, 05:04 AM) *

The year was 1987 and the Ford dealers from upstate NY were having a similar contest, "The ugly truck contest" I won with a 1967 Dodge power wagon. The prize was a brand new 1987 Ford Ranger with 12 miles.

It's great for the brand and creates good energy in the community. Thanks for offering, I am sure someone has something quite ugly

Today the power wagon is worth 80k the ranger 1100.00
GregAmy
biggrin.gif

Mine came apart in pieces and went straight into the recycling bin, long gone.

But I already got a new one so I'm solid. smile.gif
brant
Just threw an ugly one away

rfinegan
Pretty ugly alt wire...I have no idea about the Tin grommet shownClick to view attachment
rfinegan
Voltage Regulator connection...Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 8 2022, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 8 2022, 05:04 AM) *

Today the power wagon is worth 80k the ranger 1100.00

Funny, sorry for the highjack, but a couple years ago I found a 1970 W200 Power Wagon from AZ, original paint, 85k miles. Only take her out a couple times a year, but she is a beast

back to business, I would volunteer as a judge for the "crusty harness"
JamesM
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 8 2022, 01:29 AM) *

We have set up to mass produce the alternator harnesses and will be selling them at $48 each, we are doing a promotion on these and need some pictures of how these things fail, and how many have been melted inside the crunchy plastic that has charred.

Looking for some carnage to show why it's a good idea to check yours out. I threw out ones that were pretty melted, kind of wished I saved a few for pics.

What do ya got?

That seems like a good deal. I bought a new alternator harness 20 years ago from R.E.S. and pretty sure I paid at least double that, even back then. Granted im pretty sure the R.E.S. harness was built to survive the apocalypse, seems like overkill now when a new one can be had for 48 bucks!
whiterabbit
True Story: I had just finished a two year restoration of my '75 914. All systems GO! I ask my wife to join me for the first "shake down" drive. We get two houses down the street and smoke starts billowing from the engine cover. I shut it down, we jump out of the car, open the engine cover, LOTS of white smoke, neighbors start to panic and offer to call the fire department. Smoke clears. After investigation, a portion of the insulation on the alternator harness had chaffed to the point of shorting out on the engine tin then , heating up and catching on fire. Crisis averted. It could have been waaaay worse. This of course happened after multiple engine start ups and shut downs during the restoration process. Found a pic of the burned end. See post #15 below.
Type 47
Enginge #2

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(whiterabbit @ Dec 8 2022, 03:58 PM) *

True Story: I had just finished a two year restoration of my '75 914. All systems GO! I ask my wife to join me for the first "shake down" drive. We get two houses down the street and smoke starts billowing from the engine cover. I shut it down, we jump out of the car, open the engine cover, LOTS of white smoke, neighbors start to panic and offer to call the fire department. Smoke clears. After investigation, a portion of the insulation on the alternator harness had chaffed to the point of shorting out on the engine tin then , heating up and catching on fire. Crisis averted. It could have been waaaay worse. This of course happened after multiple engine start ups and shut downs during the restoration process. Harness is long gone.

Could be a candidate if the harness is still around
simonjb
Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 8 2022, 03:29 AM) *

What do ya got?

I will take two, but cannot find on the website, thanks
whiterabbit
Found the pic of my flamed alternator harness…Click to view attachment
bkrantz
1973 2.0
930cabman
QUOTE(whiterabbit @ Dec 9 2022, 07:00 PM) *

Found the pic of my flamed alternator harness…Click to view attachment

I nominate this one
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 8 2022, 03:29 AM) *

What do ya got?

@Mikey914 Is the harness you're setting up to produce going to be different than the one you currently make and sell for $70?

https://914rubber.com/alternator-wiring-harness-1

Mikey914
It's the same one, I have just changed the economy of scale and made 50 of these. I feel that these are dangerous enough I'd rather take less for them, and get them to folks that may not even realize they need them. I'm also making an improved version designed for higher current output that upgraded alternators will produce.
-Mark
Type 47
any winner yet?
GBX0073
Type 47
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Dec 12 2022, 04:13 PM) *

any winner yet?

so who was the winner?
Mikey914
Still waiting for a crispy one. I know they are out there.

So Far @whiterabbit is winning.

I'll close this out end of this month
GregAmy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 26 2023, 08:37 AM) *

Still waiting for a crispy one. I know they are out there.

If they get too crispy then there's nothing left to photograph...well, maybe take some shots of the shiny red fire trucks...
Morrie
I wanted to chime in and say this is a nice part. I replaced the one in my car when I had the engine out recently. The new one is the proper length and terminals and drops right in. If you are replacing the alternator, replace the harness at the same time. These are unfused direct connection to your battery through the starter lug so if things go wrong they go REALLY wrong.
914rrr
Here's what's left of mine...

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
for my 74 Bahia Red

GregAmy
I'm about to post a photo of my almost-new 914Rubber one just so I can say...

"Stop being a cheap screw and give someone a new one already!"

'Cause everone needz a new onez...'cept me.

Make it happen, Mark.
914rrr
... I found another piece of mine. I think rodents were chewing on part of it !!

Click to view attachment
whiterabbit
@Mikey914 Did you select a winner for this super awesome part yet?
808 WRX
Yesterday, I uncovered my parts car to see how the harness looked...found this guy staring at me poke.gif

Set my live catch trap last night with a little cat food and he is ready to find a new home.

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
I'm thinking that's a winner...
cholland_
Any idea when the $48 harness will be out?
GregAmy
QUOTE(whiterabbit @ Mar 6 2023, 08:46 AM) *

@Mikey914 Did you select a winner for this super awesome part yet?

icon_bump.gif
914werke
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 6 2023, 02:32 PM) *
I'm thinking that's a winner...

agree.gif laugh.gif
Type 47
from my email notifications from 914 Rubber...

Congratulation to 914World user whiterabbit whose image was selected as the winner of our ugly alternator harness contest! He will be receiving a brand new alternator wiring harness as well as a $50 914Rubber gift card!

So when I originally saw this post, I rushed out to take a picture of my harness...5 months later we have a winner...maybe I should have taken a little longer to get creative.

So glad I didn't have to deal with a possum. or is that an opossum?

I think the possum deserves at least a coupon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.