Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Hello
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Monson
Hi there,
I finally got off my arse and joined your site. I bought my 914 about 2 months ago. It is a white '74 2.0l that isn't running. The previous owner put Weber 40IDF's on it and did the install and fueling all wrong. So now, the engine and tranny are out of the car for a rebuild. The car is a little tired, but is complete (including the old fuel injection and a couple of boxes of various parts).

Long term plans for the car are up in the air. I have come to this from the world of Subarus, and my daily driver is a MY00 2.5RS with 225 normally aspirated horsepower. The 914 might be an Ej25 conversion, or maybe the more traditional 914-6.

I do want to mention that I work for Tom Conway at Carquip. I realize that many of you have great respect for Tom's knowledge and great disdain for his boutique pricing. I just don't want my membership here to be confused with my employment or his business. I am not here as a vendor and will not push parts from the business. Anything I ever put up in the FS section will be from my own collection. And if people ever want to contact me as a representative of Carquip, please do so through Carquip's e-mail outside the board.

Thanks for having me. smile.gif

Matt Monson
JoeSharp
Welcom Matt. Now show some pics of the car.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Matt Monson
I'll see what I can do. Does this site host, or do I need to come up with my own host?
smg914
Welcome Matt and we're all glad you took the plunge and signed up with 914world.com. We will be happy to give you our advice if you ask for it. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your car and helping you get it back on the road for you to enjoy.
Allan
wavey.gif
Matt Monson
Well,
Here's my current plan for the car. The heads appear to be a brand new rebuild. But I have no idea what, if anything was done on the bottom end, and the car has 130k on it.

Once I teardown the motor, I'll know more what I am dealing with. If I am lucky it will already have Euro spec P&C's on it. If he hasn't replaced the cam, I will be getting the Web cam for the Webers, and reassemble the engine with no headgasket to get the CR up. A set of European Racing headers will serve for exhaust duty.

What I don't know about this formula is where it will put me horsepower-wise. I am guessing 120-125, if I am lucky. Any of you guys currently running a set up similar to this?

I have driven a freshly rebuilt '75 2.0l with Weber 46's on it, and power seemed adequate for the short term. I figure get the car out on the road and to some trackdays while I learn the nuances of the 914, and then I can think about more power next year...
rick 918-S
Cool, this is a vendor nutreal site. Welcome to the madness! monkeydance.gif
Jenny
when posting, at the bottom of your reply there's a section for File Attachments. (the section below all the smilies) Just to the right of it is a browse box. You can upload any pictures from your computer. It helps to resize the picture so it doesn't take up too much space. I think around 500X500 is good.

Welcome!!

Jen
Matt Monson
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Aug 9 2005, 10:48 AM)
Cool, this is a vendor nutreal site. Welcome to the madness! monkeydance.gif

yeah,
One of my big pet peeves is vendors on boards who claim to be furthering technical knowledge while subtley pushing their parts... agree.gif
markb
Welcome, Matt! wavey.gif When posting pics, make sure the file is small enough, don't preview the post, and (unless you collage them beforehand) only one pic per post. Now the obligitory...
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

laugh.gif
GWN7
Hello and Welcome beerchug.gif
theol00
Welcome clap.gif
jet1
Welcome! wavey.gif
Matt Monson
Thanks for the hearty welcome folks. The digi cam isn't in the shop today, but I promise to take it home tommorow night and snap some photos. Like I said, it is a pretty complete car. It does have the appearance group and all 5 of the four bolt Fuchs in really good shape. Pictures to follow...
sjhowitson
beerchug.gif
Welcome and Cheers
Ferg
Wow, missed your post earlier...
Great to see your going to get it working and on the road.
I'll stop by next nice day with the 3.2 car and that should change your mind about a subie swap real quick wink.gif

Ferg.
TonyAKAVW
Welcome, Matt. I remember PMing with you back and forth a couple times over at the NASIOC board.

There are a number of us over here doing Subaru conversions so when you get to it, there will be plenty of good information available.

In terms of type IV motors, there's much more knowledge available here than on Subaru engines. I am not very knowledgable about the type IVs, but I heave heard some problems lately with cams and lifters not matching, and causing major problems with rebuilds. There are a number of threads here regarding the matter, as well as estimates of HP for various engines.

Good luck and welcome to the board! It will suck a lot of time from your life, so be prepared smile.gif

-Tony
Matt Monson
QUOTE (Ferg @ Aug 9 2005, 02:19 PM)
Wow, missed your post earlier...
Great to see your going to get it working and on the road.
I'll stop by next nice day with the 3.2 car and that should change your mind about a subie swap real quick wink.gif

Ferg.

I would love a ride in your car. I don't know if I would go all the way to a 3.2, though. Tom has a nice little 2.4E builder here that I could do a good GT build on...
Ferg
Well, you do work at the right place to do a six swap... laugh.gif

I do want to see the car, since I missed it by a day dry.gif

Ferg
VegasRacer
Hi Matt - Welcome to The Club. smile.gif

We are having a 3 day event just a short drive from you in Moab, Utah.
Any chance you can join us for the Red Rocks Classic Sept. 23 - 25?
A running 914 is not required.
redshift
QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Aug 9 2005, 02:12 PM)
I am not here as a vendor and will not push parts from the business.

Matt Monson

WELCOME! (SPAMMER) laugh.gif

M(iles)
brant
Matt,

nice to meet you.
Ferg almost got that car.
good score on your part!

you Stole it I hear!!!!!!!!!!!

brant
GS9146Driver
beer.gif Welcome to the wonderful world of Porschedom! boldblue.gif
Good Luck,
Geo
MecGen
Hey

Welcome to the board smilie_pokal.gif

later
Matt Monson
This thread is no longer worthless... cool.gif
Matt Monson
ass end...
Ferg
Good God man! what's holding up the other side, not another factory jack I hope?!? Are both rear wheels off? Can you tell I don't trust factory jacks...

Ferg.

Oh and it looks nice smile.gif
Matt Monson
dash and instruments. 1 small crack in the dash...
Matt Monson
All 5 wheels are this clean...
Matt Monson
No Mike, It's on jackstands...
Matt Monson
teh motor...
Ferg
whew, I was hoping it was on stands.
looks like a nice find.

Ferg.
Matt Monson
I think this is where the motor goes... confused24.gif
Matt Monson
Is this a transmission?
Matt Monson
An interior shot...
Matt Monson
The door cards are pretty tired, and no pockets. I might keep them pocketless...
Matt Monson
The top is good except for seals and two of the clips...
Matt Monson
And last but not least, teh weberz...
Matt Monson
hmmm. Let's try the gauges again.

And any carpet or trim, (horn button) you see missing, it is because I have already removed it. Like I mentioned before it was a very complete car...
tat2dphreak
Welcome!! wavey.gif good looking car!
TonyAKAVW
Looks great. The only rust that I can see is down at the base of the firewall, and the battery tray, but it looks to be fully intact and maybe not rusted through.

I think that car is definitely asking for an EJ25 biggrin.gif

-Tony
Matt Monson
The rust really isn't very bad. Instead of the usually battery tray rust destroying the PS rear suspension, it knocked a hole in the inner fender and drained forward. There is some rust along the PS doorjam as well, but the jackpoints are rock solid. I couldn't take a picture of the rear trunk, but it leaked as some point and rusted out towards the back. There is a hack of a welding job holding a homemade plate in there. I will probably re-do it correctly at some point.

Initially, I just want to get the engine and tranny rebuilt, and replace the bad seals and try to get the car on the road before the first snow...

An Ej25 swap won't be considered until I can finish the replacement engine for my 2.5RS (Ej257 case shown in the background of the carb picture). As a side note, I spoke to Dana at Renegade today and their EJ series swap kit is officially complete...
Scott S
Hi Matt...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.