Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would this be a good lite duty welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
My Harbor Freight flyer came in the mail yesterday clap.gif

I seen this welder and it has me thinking blink.gif I have NEVER welded anything before. I have had a few times in the past few years that I could have really used one or someone that had one. I don't have any real welding that needs to be done on the teener other than replacing the bottom section of the passenger side jack post plate. But I want one so here's the specs:

Chicago Eletric Welding System
87 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER

For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux cored gasless operations.

Welding current range: 25 to 87 amps
Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
Open voltage: 19 to 30
Duty cycle: 20% @ 75 amps, 45% @ 50 amps
Draws 21 amps @ 120 volts
Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030'' to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored

Includes: 2 lb. spool of flux cored wire, handheld face shield, brush hammer, fuse power line; Weight: 55.8 lbs.

tat2dphreak
I think it would be ok, but I shopped around and bought a used Lincoln for less than the HF specials... with the regulator, too...

MIG welding is super easy, you can always take a continuing ed. class for practice... just practice is all it takes to learn welding though...
Always Looking
I have this welder w/o the mig function - wire feed only. I have never welded before, but can get strong (albeit ugly) welds. The included face shield is for shit. I bought the autodarkening one for $55. It works fine for me.

My wife approved the purchase since one of the first things I welded was the futon frame.

Have fun welder.gif
Sammy
I have one of those HF welders, but with only the flux core option. It is up on a shelf in my garage with dust on it. Wanna buy it? I'll give you a good deal on it.
I have never, ever been able to run a decent bead with it no matter what. Neither have two of my friends who are very good welders.
Jenny's brother Jeff borrowed it for a while, he gave it back and said he couldn't get anything welded with it.
Biggest POS I ever bought. Like I said, I'll give you a deal on it.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Aug 9 2005, 10:13 AM)
My Harbor Freight flyer came in the mail yesterday  :clap:

I seen this welder and it has me thinking  :blink: I have NEVER welded anything before. I have had a few times in the past few years that I could have really used one or someone that had one. I don't have any real welding that needs to be done on the teener other than replacing the bottom section of the passenger side jack post plate. But I want one so here's the specs:

Chicago Eletric Welding System
87 AMP, 115 VOLT FLUX AND MIG WELDER

For mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. Weld with gas or perform flux cored gasless operations.

Welding current range: 25 to 87 amps
Input: single phase 115 volts, 60 Hz
Open voltage: 19 to 30
Duty cycle: 20% @ 75 amps, 45% @ 50 amps
Draws 21 amps @ 120 volts
Weldable wires: 0.023'' to 0.035'' steel and stainless steel, 0.030'' to 0.035'' aluminum, 0.030'' flux-cored

Includes: 2 lb. spool of flux cored wire, handheld face shield, brush hammer, fuse power line; Weight: 55.8 lbs.

It's a decent one IMHO. The infinite control is a plus compared to others with just low, med, and high..

I use mine on the highest setting most of the time as it is kinda weak as welders go.

I've had mine for four years with no problems. welded so many things, so many ways. It definately is a light duty machine....

The inert gas option is a plus.

I tested the 20% duty cycle of mine and it was absolutely true.

After the thing heats up, for every one minute of welding, it needed 4 minutes of cooling. A 10 minute rest usually resets the built in thermo protection.

I've done BBQ's to 3/16" steel. I did however get the largest wire tip it suggested.

For sheet metal they're great. I do weld like the guys at the O.C.C. and tack, tack, tack. =-)

My second welder is a 220V AC/DC reverse polarity stick welder for the thick knarly work. I wish that one was more portable..... (heavy beatch)
Got that one used on Craigslist. Half price and used NEVER.

I had parts start to come apart with the 110V welder. It became a pain in the @ss trying to find parts to repair it.

I don't know if i'd buy another 110V wire feed used just because I might inherit some little nagging problems. (Hey , reminds of a 914.....) laugh.gif
tdgray
I would go with a Lincoln 110 if your thinking of small but mighty.

I have one and have been very pleased. I have mine outfitted with the mig kit also. Lays out a nice bead... well as nice as my crappy welding skills allow. biggrin.gif
Engman
The Lincoln or the Hobart. You want the gas, the flux core stuff works if you are in a pinch but the gas is much easier on those areas with a lil rust. The flux core will pop and spit. I have the Hobart 110 - nice - very happy with it.

M
Brew
Get rid of the flux-core junk on a 110V welder, it's nothing but trouble. Do not buy a wire fed welder that doesnt have a gas kit option!

That being said, you can find better deals in your local classifieds on good used welders than the brand new stuff at HF. Dont get me wrong, I've got plenty of HF tools in my garage, and their welder would probably be fine for what you're going to use it for, but since you dont seem like you're in a big hurry to buy one, you might as well wait for a real welder to pop up. MNSHO.
Mr.C
I've been cruising this forum trying to get a handle on things before I purchase a welder. I'm thinking the Lincoln 135 at Lowes or maybe the 175. Anyways check out what they say about Harbor Freight stuff here. http://www.weldingweb.com/index.php?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.