Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Car won't start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg Bell
Guys,

I can't get my car to start. I had just filled up the tank and jumped in the car when the car refused to start. The fuel pump went clickety click (some sort of facet pump installed when the PO did a carb install) but the car did not start. I have noticed this happening lately. Usually I would push in the clutch and turn the key again and it would go. Sometimes it seemed like I had to push in the clutch a little harder, but it would always start after 2-3 tries. Today, nada. I sat for about five minutes and never got it to turn over. Again, the fuel pump comes on but there is no starter activity. I guess it is a short or something. Help!
redshift
From cold?

May be the ignition switch, behind the key cylinder, may be dirty connections at the relay board, the starter solenoid may have expired.

Re-seat everything in the relay box, after a good cleaning (battery disconected first!)

If you can't get it to turn over, move the car to flat ground, TAKE IT OUT OF GEAR, and take a BIG screw driver, and tap the poles on the starter together.. does it do anything?

That was the starter test..

M
lapuwali
No start as in the starter doesn't even turn? Check for power at the yellow wire on the back of the starter and at the relay board. If you get power there, and you also have power at the big red wire on the back of the starter, try tapping on the body of the starter with a wrench. If that doesn't get it to turn, then pull the starter out and try hooking it directly to a battery to see if it turns. Most likely, the starter has died.

If you don't get power at the yellow wire, check the relay board, then the ignition switch. If you don't get any power at the red wire on the starter, check your battery, as it's probably dead, or nearly so.
tdgray
Don't overlook the obvious.

Check your grounds. Tranny strap tight? Good connections from battery to starter etc?

a.munoz3
i had same problem and it was my ignition switch
smooth_eddy
Be sure to get the AAA plus membership. Cost about $100 bucks, but you get 3 tow's a year. Well worth the money and be sure to specify the flat bed tow truck. Good luck. I battle hot starts myself. My GF knows the cue when to jump out and push, biggrin.gif See ya, Eddy
Greg Bell
Guys,

I had my car towed home. I just went out and it started up on the first try. I then tried again and the starter didn't react (as above). What is involved in replacing the ignition switch. The starter is definitely still good. The car will start and run fine--if the signal gets to the starter. It started as being a problem every once in a while, and now it doesn't start more than it does.

BMITCHELL
The pelican site has a step by step for changing the ignition switch. I had to do it for my 74. I need to do it for my 73 now which is intermittent. I put in a remote starter switch in the engine bay for help when timing. Sometimes now i have to use it when it doesn't start.
Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.