Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Motosan
Sorry if this has been covered before but just wanted to ask before I jump into this on my project.
The 914 I am restoring has a single din head unit that I have just decided to replace with a new unit. I would like to install a pair of speakers(using the 914 rubber speaker pods) and a very small amp in addition to the new head unit. The car already seems to drop voltage with any extra demand, so I’m trying to go about this the best way possible.
Would upgrading the battery and running a separate fuse block be the best option?
I was looking at an Odyssey pc925 as a possible option.
Thanks!
Mikey914
Check your battery, check your grounds, check your alternator output and the harness. Iwould run an extra fuse, but unless your drawing a significant amperage that should cover it.
You can go to LED headlights to reduce a consumer. I know a guy. sunglasses.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Motosan @ Dec 14 2022, 07:01 AM) *

Sorry if this has been covered before but just wanted to ask before I jump into this on my project.
The 914 I am restoring has a single din head unit that I have just decided to replace with a new unit. I would like to install a pair of speakers(using the 914 rubber speaker pods) and a very small amp in addition to the new head unit. The car already seems to drop voltage with any extra demand, so I’m trying to go about this the best way possible.
Would upgrading the battery and running a separate fuse block be the best option?
Thanks!

I ran a separate hella fuse block under the dash and powered it with fused supply direct from the battery,I did plan on a small sub but not happening now but still good to have the stereo thats not powered of the stock fuseboard.
FlacaProductions
Greetings,
Start with this thread - I did nearly exactly what Brent @BBrock did with the same amp, speakers and wiring setup. I fished my main power wire though the speedo cable hole rather than the snorkel. Add the head of your choice. Just last week, I added a small, powered sub that REALLY filled things out - I couldn't be happier.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2801031

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Motosan
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 13 2022, 11:50 AM) *

Check your battery, check your grounds, check your alternator output and the harness. Iwould run an extra fuse, but unless your drawing a significant amperage that should cover it.

I included the led bulb replacements in my last order with you! I just received two very large boxes yesterday!
Thanks!!Click to view attachment
Motosan
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 13 2022, 11:51 AM) *

Greetings,
Start with this thread - I did nearly exactly what Brent @BBrock did with the same amp, speakers and wiring setup. I fished my main power wire though the speedo cable hole rather than the snorkel. Add the head of your choice. Just last week, I added a small, powered sub that REALLY filled things out - I couldn't be happier.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2801031

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Exactly what I was looking for! I appreciate it.
Chris914n6
The 914 wiring could barely handle 70s stereo needs. I ran a dedicated 8 gauge to a fuse block under the dash.

Any standard size battery will handle a HU and 2 channel amp to 6.5" speakers and a powered sub small enough to fit in a 914.

If you have any voltage problems it will be at night with all the lights on, in which case just buy LEDs, as they are a worthwhile upgrade on their own.
porschetub
QUOTE(Motosan @ Dec 14 2022, 07:01 AM) *

Thanks!

I ran a separate hella fuse block under the dash and powered it with fused supply direct from the battery,I did plan on a small sub but not happening now but still good to have the stereo thats not powered of the stock fuseboard.
gereed75
Check this option http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=Subwoofer

Reallly like this. Draws very little amperage
sb914
QUOTE(Motosan @ Dec 13 2022, 12:04 PM) *

I included the led bulb replacements in my last order with you! I just received two very large boxes yesterday!

Nice quiver !
GregAmy
QUOTE(Motosan @ Dec 13 2022, 02:01 PM) *
...The car already seems to drop voltage with any extra demand...

I'm just here to note that if you're basing voltage/load decisions off the stock center console voltmeter...don't. It's crap.

Measure voltage directly at the battery for useful analysis. - GA
dr914@autoatlanta.com
nothing extra needed, with the unit wired properly the current alternator and wiring will work just fine without adding anything. You may also want to install a sub woofer where the passenger foam filler is located

QUOTE(Motosan @ Dec 13 2022, 12:01 PM) *

Thanks!

Garland
In 2016 I installed a powered sub, and an Alpine amp for the factory located speakers, and a set of satellite speakers. Factory alternator, See my build link at the bottom of the post for details.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Motosan
QUOTE(sb914 @ Dec 14 2022, 06:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Motosan @ Dec 13 2022, 12:04 PM) *

Nice quiver !

Thanks! They are all fun in their own way.
Mikey914
The LEDs are a HUGE upgrade. You will like them.
Spoke
As others have mentioned, the voltage droop you see in the 914 is mainly due to the 50 year old wiring and connectors. Your best bet is to run a separate wire directly from the battery to the amp. If it's a big amp you may want to place one of those 1F capacitors next to the amp for plenty of instantaneous energy.
barnfind9141972
I use an 8 inch subwoofer in a fiberglass custom enclosure that’s an exact spec of the foam block and an amplifier underneath the passenger seat. The amplifier has a power straight from the battery with a fuse and I have two JBL 6.5 speakers in 914Rubber enclosures wired directly to a pioneer head unit that’s powered by the empty accessory block on the fuse panel and the cigar lighter. 0 voltage drop and no issues on a Walmart battery.
DC_neun_vierzehn
Good stuff in this thread. Thanks all.
CCE
QUOTE(barnfind9141972 @ Dec 18 2022, 10:39 PM) *

I use an 8 inch subwoofer in a fiberglass custom enclosure that’s an exact spec of the foam block and an amplifier underneath the passenger seat. The amplifier has a power straight from the battery with a fuse and I have two JBL 6.5 speakers in 914Rubber enclosures wired directly to a pioneer head unit that’s powered by the empty accessory block on the fuse panel and the cigar lighter. 0 voltage drop and no issues on a Walmart battery.

Do you have an image on how it looks? I have an 8” sub, that I could use.
914pipe
This is my configuration and is more than enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-TPS-A350-4-...32-63e904010ad0

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO629-Premium-6...386675&th=1

And a dual coil sub-woofer (2ohms each coil) fitted in the passenger foot rest.
The amp is very small. I fixed behind the glove compartment.

LOUD!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.