Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to original Malaga Red on sweet '76!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
Waited over a year for my restoration painter to take my car. He gave me a slot in October a year ago and was faithful to that, so I took the car to him then.

The Scarlet Red paint job before I got the car was an excellent/first-class one and he said it was so good he would not have to take down to bare metal. It's an LA car and I think was repainted in So Cal.

Paint was severely oxidized on lids, beyond recovery, and both lids also had hail damage - strangely no hail damage anywhere else. Rust was minimal, only tiny areas on top along trim and holes for sail trim. Scotty Burnett looked car over and said it was about the most rust-free 914 he'd ever seen.

I'm electing to not put vinyl on the sails. I can always add it later if I want. I like the clean look of a painted sail area. RickB45, a passionate 914 owner & good friend recommended it.

I do not like red, but the darker Malaga Red I do like. I love that it is rare as well and I think the car will really pop with it - AND it will be back to its original color. Yooo-hoo! piratenanner.gif ALL "MORE BETTER"!

Here are progress photos:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Can't wait. Hoping I can finish engine top-end rebuild before he finishes! I think end of January is his target.....

GN
StarBear
Yay!! Keep us posted. Wishing you and your car a bright red future!
Cairo94507
Finally seeing fresh color on your car is a huge milestone that is so rewarding. beerchug.gif
barefoot
Another 76 in same color:

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the very first 914 I decided to keep forever was a 76 malaga with white interior, mahle alloys and air conditioning. Had many adventures with that car
Gatornapper
George! Wow! Is that cool! Makes mine even more special!

"keep forever"......you still have it?

Friend RickB45 nailed me an original brown interior complete (sans dash & carpet) that are in extremely good condition and they will go in the car once the engine is back in it.

Cannot imagine white interior!

One of my last pics of mine in its Scarlet Red (ugh!)....that I'll be so glad to be done with.....

IPB Image

GN

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 17 2022, 10:48 AM) *

the very first 914 I decided to keep forever was a 76 malaga with white interior, mahle alloys and air conditioning. Had many adventures with that car

Gatornapper
Stunning body mods too! Beautiful!

QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 17 2022, 09:57 AM) *

Another 76 in same color:

Click to view attachment

troth
Click to view attachment

We drove my Malaga ‘75 from Tampa, FL to the last Rennsport in Monterey. It was flooded out in a hurricane a couple years ago. Currently awaiting restoration and a six conversion at PMB. I think we are going to keep the original color sunglasses.gif

Looks a lot like the old ruby red 356’s.
IPB Image
Jett
Nice… we are working on an original paint (same color) 76 2.0 in the same color… 46k miles. There are some parts of the car that look new, although it has speakers in the doors sad.gif
Gatornapper
Troth -

Wow. Wish I could get mine rebuilt by Eric! You will have one gem of a 914 when he is done. And a 6 to boot. Congrats!

Please keep us posted.

Mine had 60,600 original on it when I got it after sitting in a friends new barn for 12 years. I put 6,000 miles on it before pulling the engine for a top-end rebuild and the paint restoration.....

GN

QUOTE(troth @ Dec 17 2022, 12:22 PM) *

We drove my Malaga ‘75 from Tampa, FL to the last Rennsport in Monterey. It was flooded out in a hurricane a couple years ago. Currently awaiting restoration and a six conversion at PMB. I think we are going to keep the original color sunglasses.gif

Looks a lot like the old ruby red 356’s.
IPB Image
Gatornapper
Jett - wow, I thought mine was great with 60k miles, 46 is amazing.

Yeah, mine has speakers in doors to but they are going bye-bye. Have nice original brown interior with clean door cards to hide the holes in the metal. Brown interior will go in after engine does, so may be a while........

GN

QUOTE(Jett @ Dec 17 2022, 01:18 PM) *

Nice… we are working on an original paint (same color) 76 2.0 in the same color… 46k miles. There are some parts of the car that look new, although it has speakers in the doors sad.gif

Gatornapper
I can't wait to get the 14 back, engine in, and then the "new-to-me" brown interior in - think the brown will be stunning with the Malaga Red.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

What do you all think? While brown interior won't be original to my car, it will be original.....

GN
Jett
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Dec 17 2022, 06:09 PM) *

I can't wait to get the 14 back, engine in, and then the "new-to-me" brown interior in - think the brown will be stunning with the Malaga Red.....

What do you all think? While brown interior won't be original to my car, it will be original.....

GN

Looks great
Gatornapper
Way overdue - been crazy busy on 944 S, 928 5-spd, converting my 20 year old tractor shed to 2-car garage for these two cars......

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gatornapper
More.....yes, car has to go back to painter to do black under engine lid grill......have to get engine in first......

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
rick 918-S
first.gif
Gatornapper
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cairo94507
Very nicely done. Adding 2 garage stalls, all the better. beerchug.gif
Jett
Great looking car and Dog!
Geezer914
Nice job, love the color with the Mahales
flyer86d
I’m not a red guy but that is a fine red!

Charlie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.