Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tub weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyA
Does anyone know the weight of a tub. Completely stripped out. But with doors included. No glass nothing.
Thanks
bdstone914
My estimate is 400-500 pounds
jettonjoshua
I agree. I’ve lifted and moved mine several times with 2 friends.
nathanxnathan
Early doors vs late doors makes a big difference even when the whole tub is factored in. Late doors weigh a ton.
mepstein
An early tub is right around 500 bare.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Dec 18 2022, 01:11 PM) *

Early doors vs late doors makes a big difference even when the whole tub is factored in. Late doors weigh a ton.

Is that because of the "Ralph Nader" bar? or is the Window Mechanism that much heavier? I haven't opened them yet but when I carried them into the other garage I couldn't get there fast enough.

Kevin
mate914
QUOTE(TonyA @ Dec 18 2022, 12:16 PM) *

Does anyone know the weight of a tub. Completely stripped out. But with doors included. No glass nothing.
Thanks

500+ .... Why? What are you doing? hope all is well..

Matt
mepstein
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Dec 18 2022, 06:48 PM) *

Is that because of the "Ralph Nader" bar? or is the Window Mechanism that much heavier? I haven't opened them yet but when I carried them into the other garage I couldn't get there fast enough.

Kevin

The crash bar is quite heavy. I’m guessing another 10 lbs.
TonyA
QUOTE(mate914 @ Dec 18 2022, 07:35 PM) *

QUOTE(TonyA @ Dec 18 2022, 12:16 PM) *

Thanks

500+ .... Why? What are you doing? hope all is well..

Matt

I got the BB all stripped out and getting ready for paint. Need to pick up the tub off the lift and on to a cart.
Thanks
nathanxnathan
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Dec 18 2022, 03:48 PM) *

Kevin

Allegedly it's only a 10 lb difference with glass, but idk if I buy it. Early doors weigh almost nothing they're so light. Late doors seem like they weigh about 3–4x as much. I haven't actually weighed them though. Maybe it is like 5 vs 15 or 20 lbs? Seems like the late is more though. It seems like no big thing, but 2 doors, 20 lbs each, that's like 10% of the weight of the whole if it's 400 lb — Just really rough math there...
Craigers17
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Dec 19 2022, 03:15 AM) *

QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Dec 18 2022, 03:48 PM) *

Kevin

Allegedly it's only a 10 lb difference with glass, but idk if I buy it. Early doors weigh almost nothing they're so light. Late doors seem like they weigh about 3–4x as much. I haven't actually weighed them though. Maybe it is like 5 vs 15 or 20 lbs? Seems like the late is more though. It seems like no big thing, but 2 doors, 20 lbs each, that's like 10% of the weight of the whole if it's 400 lb — Just really rough math there...

Stole this from another World post:

"I just weighed an early and a late door. No handles and no panels.
All glass and window mech still in the door.

Early = 46lbs
Late = 54lbs "

mlindner
Its got to be more then 10lbs. I switched mine out and the late doors weigh a ton compared to early. I do have a early door shell I could weigh if someone has a late shell to weigh and compare. Mark
mepstein
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 19 2022, 08:35 AM) *

Its got to be more then 10lbs. I switched mine out and the late doors weigh a ton compared to early. I do have a early door shell I could weigh if someone has a late shell to weigh and compare. Mark

I agree. At least 10lbs. It feels like more when you move the doors around.
VaccaRabite
When I mounted a stripped tub onto the rotisserie many years ago I had a person at each corner. It was heavy but not awful. About 500lbs is right. 2 strong people could load/unload a stripped chassis but it would be sketchy with lots of opportunity to get hurt if you are not smart about it.

Zach
BeatNavy
I happen to have a stripped late door in the garage. I happen to have a bathroom scale. And I happen to have time on my hands (apparently).

Looks like a stripped late door checks in at 36 lbs. That's no glass, no window mechanism, no panel. I also stripped the coating inside the door, but the interior door latch is on it. Neither of those things would add or detract much, I would think.
TonyA
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 19 2022, 09:55 AM) *

I happen to have a stripped late door in the garage. I happen to have a bathroom scale. And I happen to have time on my hands (apparently).

Looks like a stripped late door checks in at 36 lbs. That's no glass, no window mechanism, no panel. I also stripped the coating inside the door, but the interior door latch is on it. Neither of those things would add or detract much, I would think.

Merry Christmas Rob. Hey I forgot about the time we moved your tub. But I remembered it yesterday moving mine when I looked in the rear view mirror. driving.gif
Ishley
I read that the tub stripped is ~500llbs. With doors maybe 580ish. Easy to quickly remove the doors with 13mm socket and extension.

The issue I would have with lifting it onto a cart is where to grab. I wouldn’t just position have a group and lift it because you can’t grab it anywhere without bending a panel. Maybe tow straps under the car with 4 people. Or lower it down to blocks dropped onto trans mounts and the suspension mounting area. Then you should be able to get a cart under it and alternate lifting the front and back to remove the blocks and set it on the cart.

I have mine stripped and on mounts at the trans mounts and suspension connection area. I lift it from the bottom when I want to unbolt that.

I built a tip over jig and 2 people can easily roll it on it side and back.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=361149&hl=

pek771
My 70 was 1200 lb empty, no interior, no engine or trans. Suspension, wheels and tires were intact.
PaulFV8
I used this MK Tech formula car lift for my Spitfire tub with straps to the seat belt mounts and a forward crossmember. I'm planning to do the same with my 914 when it comes back from the painter. Click to view attachment
mlindner
Ok BeatNavy, thanks for your help with late door weight of 36 lbs. The early door stripped came in at 22 lbs.....Soo, late door is 14 lbs heavier. Or the early door is a 40% reduction in weight. Best, Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.