Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine rebuild sheet lists or examples?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I did search in old posts, but didn't get any hits.

I just had my 2.0 motor rebuilt. It's done and ready to be scooped. I asked the rebuilder to provide a build sheet. They asked me how detailed do I want it. Naturally, I thought "as detailed as possible."

But I thought I'd check here first ... can someone share a good rebuild sheet?

And/or what's the list of info to include (bare minimum vs. extensive)?

For more context ... it's a street car, 2056 rebuild.

Thanks in advance ...
rfinegan
here is my build thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=351117&hl=
mepstein
Short answer - It should be as detailed as what was agreed prior to the work done, signature, money changing hands.
Long answer - Does it really matter. What's done is done and why will putting it on paper make a difference. Maybe a good reference - I'll buy that. Hopefully the builder is telling the truth (think moter meister). Maybe it's all true but when they write down this or that, do you care.

So yesterday, my engine tech was adjusting valves on a turbo engine, outside the car. He said, "someone's been in this engine. I asked how did he know. He said it had cheap, aftermarket nuts on the rockers. They should be 13mm but these measure 12.7 so they strip out easier with a 13mm wrench. So the build sheet might have said. "new rocker nuts" but it might have been better to reuse the old, Porsche brand, ones.

Even further, we ( all of us) like use an engine builder that makes us feel comfortable trading his service and parts for money. Great. But when we fly on an airplane, do we check out all the techs who worked on the plane, never. So what are we actually checking out?

None of this is directed to the OP. These are just some ramblings of a crazy person. I probably will feel different tomorrow. I hope the engine gets you on the road with many smiles per mile.

bkrantz
Just off the top of my head, I would want the brand/model and specs for any non-factory parts, along with all the critical measurements (deck height, cylinder head volume, cam specs, over/undersize bearings, etc.).

What else, guys?
pete-stevers
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2022, 11:18 AM) *

Short answer - It should be as detailed as what was agreed prior to the work done, signature, money changing hands.
Long answer - Does it really matter. What's done is done and why will putting it on paper make a difference. Maybe a good reference - I'll buy that. Hopefully the builder is telling the truth (think moter meister). Maybe it's all true but when they write down this or that, do you care.

So yesterday, my engine tech was adjusting valves on a turbo engine, outside the car. He said, "someone's been in this engine. I asked how did he know. He said it had cheap, aftermarket nuts on the rockers. They should be 13mm but these measure 12.7 so they strip out easier with a 13mm wrench. So the build sheet might have said. "new rocker nuts" but it might have been better to reuse the old, Porsche brand, ones.

Even further, we ( all of us) like use an engine builder that makes us feel comfortable trading his service and parts for money. Great. But when we fly on an airplane, do we check out all the techs who worked on the plane, never. So what are we actually checking out?

None of this is directed to the OP. These are just some ramblings of a crazy person. I probably will feel different tomorrow. I hope the engine gets you on the road with many smiles per mile.

Not none-sensical in the least! biggrin.gif
DC_neun_vierzehn
Thanks all. Helpful.

Mark, the desire for the sheet is mostly for reference for maintaining the motor moving forward since it’s no longer stock spec.

Also, while I have zero plans of ever selling, it’s always helpful to have documentation of a motor rebuild for prospective buyers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.