Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six Engine Cover Torsion Bar Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrrobertson
I am restoring a 1971 six and I hope someone can help me with a question about the paint color on the torsion bars that hold up the engine cover. The ones that came with the car are painted black and this appears to be the original color. However, I have seen some sixes with these torsion bars painted body color. Does anyone have a six with original paint that could verify the paint color?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jrrobertson
Sorry, the picture of the black torsion bar got added twice. I am new at this.
Cairo94507
My '71 Six, which was gold from the factory, had the black torsion rods for the engine lid. That is the way they came. Though it looks like at some point they got a bit of overspray on them, they were black.

Additionally, engine lid torsion bars on a 6 were smaller/thinner than on a 4 as the 4 cars had a rain tray which added weight. The 6 never came with a rain tray so lighter rods were installed so the lid would not fly open and bang the rear of the targa bar.

When we repainted my car we did them in body color. In hindsight, I should have done them in satin black. Maybe I will address that in the future. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
jrrobertson
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 21 2022, 11:01 AM) *

My '71 Six, which was gold from the factory, had the black torsion rods for the engine lid. That is the way they came. Though it looks like at some point they got a bit of overspray on them, they were black.

Additionally, engine lid torsion bars on a 6 were smaller/thinner than on a 4 as the 4 cars had a rain tray which added weight. The 6 never came with a rain tray so lighter rods were installed so the lid would not fly open and bang the rear of the targa bar.

When we repainted my car we did them in body color. In hindsight, I should have done them in satin black. Maybe I will address that in the future. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Thank you for the information. This is good news. It is much easier to paint them with a spray can of satin black than to mix the body color and use big spray gun.
Good morning, just wanted to say something which might be considered contrary to Cairo's advice but having owned my 6 for 50 years and I know for fact that my engine cover torsion rods are body color Canary Yellow. My car is a1970. Never discount the fact that changes were made between the years. Trunk torsion rods are also body color too. Besides yours look much nicer body color.
Cairo94507
Well, I could be remembering wrong.... beerchug.gif
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 21 2022, 12:13 PM) *

Well, I could be remembering wrong.... beerchug.gif

Hey Cairo my apologies, never intended to make it sound like I was correcting you, hence the reference to yearly model changes. Mine a 70 yours a 71. Anyway hope all is well. Have a Merry Christmas. Tony beerchug.gif
Thought I might include these as a point of reference.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
fixer34
March '70, factory -6.
Both deck lid and trunk torsion bars are body paint color, in my case, Irish Green. per another thread, the brackets and nuts holding the trunk torsion bars are also body paint color.
rgalla9146
Original 6 engine lid. Body color torsion bars. Oh, 1970. Only had '70s
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.