Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I am currently doing a six conversion for a client and also working with the shop so they can offer this service in the future. The shop does high end VW full restorations and do incredible work. I just wanted to share. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=860
814]
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mlindner
Wow, thats great Ben. Look at that great oil tank, wish I new who made that. Best, Mark
mlindner
Do I see in picture two...the top portions of the rear engine compartment/trunk deleted.
mb911
QUOTE(mlindner @ Dec 23 2022, 04:47 AM) *

Do I see in picture two...the top portions of the rear engine compartment/trunk deleted.

They actually have them removed for some paint work once I am done with my portion
krazykonrad
Which shop is that? It looks like they do some really interesting stuff.
Root_Werks
Looks like some very neat projects! Thanks for sharing all the pictures.
Retroracer
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 23 2022, 04:51 AM) *

This English phone box looks like it could be one of the rarer twin cam versions.

- Tony
mb911
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Dec 23 2022, 08:32 AM) *

Which shop is that? It looks like they do some really interesting stuff.

Here is the link to their website. They will become a preferred installer of my products and whom I will direct people to for a -6 conversion https://daskaferhausvintagewerks.com/
xtophr
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 23 2022, 06:51 AM) *

Nice K6.
mb911
QUOTE(xtophr @ Dec 23 2022, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 23 2022, 06:51 AM) *

Nice K6.

I will trust you on that
mb911
Here is the oil line routing. Need to get adel clamps in there but overall nice clean installClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
Nice to see someone using black oil line fittings instead of that red and blue crap like on my -6!!!

Nice work! Great to see more and more shops putting effort into teeners.
mb911
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 28 2022, 09:31 PM) *

Nice to see someone using black oil line fittings instead of that red and blue crap like on my -6!!!

Nice work! Great to see more and more shops putting effort into teeners.

Just to clarify it’s not my shop but I am doing the conversion. Www.914-6werkshop.com is my website. I am providing all the parts for this one and the know how. The shop is learning as I do it as they plan to offer the service
SKL1
Ben, who's bulkhead mounted engine mount is that?
mb911
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 29 2022, 10:10 AM) *

Mad dogs. I only suggest and sell the oem style mount. I don’t care for the bulk head mount with the 2 rubber mounts. They get in the way of everything. The OEM mount works for everything
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2022, 03:55 PM) *

Mad dogs. I only suggest and sell the oem style mount. I don’t care for the bulk head mount with the 2 rubber mounts. They get in the way of everything. The OEM mount works for everything

Ben,
I would agree with you on the bulkhead mount, but only for the mag cased engine under 3.0L. Anything 3.0L or above needs the extra strength of the wider spaced mounts to handle the torque.

I worked on a factory six that had a 3.2 transplant. I had to replace the tail cone on the transmission because the ears were cracked and the rubber mount kept tearing. Needless to say, the owner didn't baby it when he drove it.

The Rich Johnson/Mad Dog mount, and the Naroescape mount are far better than the factory mount for really big engine 914-6 conversions.

I have a Rich Johnson mount in my big six, and it is a bitch to get the engine mount bolts into it. But it is far sturdier than the factory six mount.

Just my $.02

Clay
mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 30 2022, 08:57 AM) *

Ben,
I would agree with you on the bulkhead mount, but only for the mag cased engine under 3.0L. Anything 3.0L or above needs the extra strength of the wider spaced mounts to handle the torque.

I worked on a factory six that had a 3.2 transplant. I had to replace the tail cone on the transmission because the ears were cracked and the rubber mount kept tearing. Needless to say, the owner didn't baby it when he drove it.

The Rich Johnson/Mad Dog mount, and the Naroescape mount are far better than the factory mount for really big engine 914-6 conversions.

I have a Rich Johnson mount in my big six, and it is a bitch to get the engine mount bolts into it. But it is far sturdier than the factory six mount.

Just my $.02

Clay

Clay,

That makes sense and I agree. The naroscape mount is a last ditch no other options mount. Totally unhappy with the one I put in another car. For a race car yes makes sense for anything else totally in the way of everything.

mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 30 2022, 04:59 PM) *

Ben,

Just my $.02

Clay

Clay,

That makes sense and I agree. The naroscape mount is a last ditch no other options mount. Totally unhappy with the one I put in another car. For a race car yes makes sense for anything else totally in the way of everything.

I have the Naro mount on my 3.2 conversion and I’m disappointed how the engine turns n lines up. My next conversion is getting the mad dog oem mount but it also will have a converted 915 trans. The Naro mount is a good idea but the spacing needs to be adjusted. When Bob Seville designed it for his race car, I’m not sure but I don’t think he ran engine tin.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2022, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 30 2022, 04:59 PM) *

Ben,

Just my $.02

Clay

Clay,

I have the Naro mount on my 3.2 conversion and I’m disappointed how the engine turns n lines up. My next conversion is getting the mad dog oem mount but it also will have a converted 915 trans. The Naro mount is a good idea but the spacing needs to be adjusted. When Bob Seville designed it for his race car, I’m not sure but I don’t think he ran engine tin.

Yes agreed
campbellcj
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 28 2022, 09:31 PM) *

LOL I have extensive older red & blue AN plumbing on mine too -- Just learned of the black hardware options more recently and thought about converting it all over, but that would be a significant PITA and expense. Kinda an all-or-nothing proposition for it to look right I think.

Re engine mounts, I believe mine is a Vellios (sp?), the guy who made the 915 conversion bits. It was chosen by the car's original builder but I'm not sure why that one vs the Rich Johnson one which also was available at that time (engine tin came from him).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.