Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermal Expansion Valve for DPD system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alan_clary@comcast.net
I am changing over my DPD dealer installed system from R12 to R134a. I will be replacing the York compressor with a Sanden 507, installing new barrier hoses, new condenser, new condenser fan, and new drier. I plan on keeping and flushing the evaporator coil. Does anyone know which model/type thermal expansion valve I should be using for the 134a system?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(alan_clary@comcast.net @ Dec 24 2022, 02:22 PM) *

I am changing over my DPD dealer installed system from R12 to R134a. I will be replacing the York compressor with a Sanden 507, installing new barrier hoses, new condenser, new condenser fan, and new drier. I plan on keeping and flushing the evaporator coil. Does anyone know which model/type thermal expansion valve I should be using for the 134a system?

We have/had a DPD system in Betty's car for years running 134a. I used the factory expansion valve with no issues. The only things I did was replace the compressor with a rotary, replace the lines with barrier hose, replace the tiny fan on the condenser in the front trunk with a 12 inch Spal fan, and add a 911SC condenser with 2 Spal fans on it to the underside of the engine lid between the compressor and the front condenser. The addition of the extra condenser made the evaporator output temp get down below 40 degrees F. We had to turn it down from high blower in the summer to keep from getting too cold.

When her car goes back together, I will be upgrading the front condenser to a modern parallel flow condenser to improve the cooling capacity and eliminating the one on the engine lid.

Hope that helps.

Clay
alan_clary@comcast.net
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 24 2022, 05:25 PM) *

We have/had a DPD system in Betty's car for years running 134a. I used the factory expansion valve with no issues. The only things I did was replace the compressor with a rotary, replace the lines with barrier hose, replace the tiny fan on the condenser in the front trunk with a 12 inch Spal fan, and add a 911SC condenser with 2 Spal fans on it to the underside of the engine lid between the compressor and the front condenser. The addition of the extra condenser made the evaporator output temp get down below 40 degrees F. We had to turn it down from high blower in the summer to keep from getting too cold.

When her car goes back together, I will be upgrading the front condenser to a modern parallel flow condenser to improve the cooling capacity and eliminating the one on the engine lid.

Hope that helps.

Clay

Thanks Clay. Do you have any idea what the part number is. I have the one from the DPD parts list but can’t seem to find the actual part when I do a search
76-914
There are a lot of good, informative A/C videos here. beerchug.gif http://www.gpdtechtips.com/techtipvideos.html
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(alan_clary@comcast.net @ Dec 25 2022, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 24 2022, 05:25 PM) *

Hope that helps.

Clay

Thanks Clay. Do you have any idea what the part number is. I have the one from the DPD parts list but can’t seem to find the actual part when I do a search

No. I have never bought one. I just used the ones that came with the various AC systems over the years. You might take it to an AC shop and have them match it up.

Sorry I am not more help,

Clay
76-914
@ClayPerrine I always thought those were universal except for the length of the capillary tube??? No? SAE vs Metric? beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 26 2022, 11:38 AM) *

@ClayPerrine I always thought those were universal except for the length of the capillary tube??? No? SAE vs Metric? beerchug.gif

I think the threads are a standard, but it can have different fittings (o-ring/flare) and if it has or does not have a sensor bulb or capillary tube.

If I have to buy one for an aftermarket AC system, I always go to the AC shop and have them match it up.

Clay

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.