Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Music distribution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
Is anybody using a whole house music distribution product? If so what do you have and recommend? I'm trying to get away from a buzzzillion wires running thru my walls and was looking at this: The Roku Wireless

Thanks!
Mike beerchug.gif
MoveQik
I have a Yamaha receiver with 3 zones and a Monster Cable speaker selector. Music/movies/stereo in every room. A lot of wires however!
914forme
Question comes down do you want to have it play in every room the same exact track or are you going to carry the Ruko around? If it is to carry it around buy and iPod save the trouble. If it is to feed multiple rooms, why not get wireless speakers and feed from a source.

Mine is old school, multi-zone AMP and lots of wires switches and fadders. I installed it 15 years ago. If I where to do it all again, I would do this.Sonos wub.gif

Take care, Stephen
bd1308
lol...

i have computers all over the place, and I *DID* have a windows 2000 server acting as a file server to share music......

i should get that working again.....

hmmm.......
Sparky
I like the SONOS but not the price tag. I'm a cheap ba$tard. Aside from some of the 900Mhz systems from Sony I don't see any real quality wireless speakers out on the market. If you know of any please point them out. I have a centralized media system and am just looking to distribute the sound to different rooms without going wire crazy. Sadly the reciever and surrond aren't hooked up to the 50" tv anymore (the room is just too small for the sound) but I'm going to be relocating that to a new room in the basement over the winter.

My best,
Mike
914forme

get a
keyspan
wireless remote for airtunes - and pickup Apples Airport Airtuens adapter run itunes your done. Less than $150 you got it. Just plug it in and add speakers of your choice.

Other option is to get a 900Mhz video distribution system, and just run audio through it, wire it up to all the recievers and walk throught the houos and select the source. Badabingbadaboom, music, yeah baby. Ebay is your friend here, majority of my audio gear came off ebay.

Stephen
mightyohm
Netgear has a box that shows up on sale for under $100 every once in a while. It has a nice display, seems similar to the Roku (which I have seen on display at Frys) in features but at 1/3 the price.
tat2dphreak
if you have tivo, you can stream all your mp3s from your computer through any tivo system... it's great!
bd1308
im building a small file server so I can stream music with it. small as in MicroATX and big as in 2x160GB hard drives and Windows 2000 Server.
mike_the_man
You can also use an X-Box to stream media of your computer. As far as wireless goes, I've heard good things about both the Roku and Sonos systems.

I plan to use a Haupauge Media MVP to stream media from my computer to my home theatre system. I think it should work pretty well.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 10 2005, 08:35 AM)
im building a small file server so I can stream music with it. small as in MicroATX and big as in 2x160GB hard drives and Windows 2000 Server.

and that will be more than the $50 for tivo...

a friend here at work wanted to buid a "tivo" computer... he spent more than $500 and it STILL wouldn't do what a tivo can do for $50! buy a $50 tive and put a 120GB HD from Weaknees.com in it and you are SET!
bd1308
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 10 2005, 08:30 AM)

a friend here at work wanted to buid a "tivo" computer... he spent more than $500 and it STILL wouldn't do what a tivo can do for $50! buy a $50 tive and put a 120GB HD from Weaknees.com in it and you are SET!

well i already have the parts, but...

can i buy the $50 TIVo and not have the service?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 10 2005, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 10 2005, 08:30 AM)

well i already have the parts, but...

can i buy the $50 TIVo and not have the service?

yes... you don't have to pay for the service, but I recommend it... $12/month or $250 for a lifetime... it's a great deal

I love my tivos! I have 2, my buddy has 4... they network with each other, you can watch shows recorded on any of them from any of the others...
aircooledboy
if you have tivo, you can stream all your mp3s from your computer through any tivo system... it's great!

I love my tivos! I have 2, my buddy has 4... they network with each other, you can watch shows recorded on any of them from any of the others...

Explain please. I am caveman car guy, and I am frightened by your modern ways. I have these things you call "tivo" and "xbox" and "wireless network", but I do not understand the magic you say will send music and moving pictures throughout my hut. confused24.gif

w00t.gif chairfall.gif
jonwatts
user posted image

lol2.gif lol2.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (aircooledboy @ Aug 10 2005, 09:57 AM)

Explain please. I am caveman car guy, and I am frightened by your modern ways. I have these things you call "tivo" and "xbox" and "wireless network", but I do not understand the magic you say will send music and moving pictures throughout my hut. confused24.gif

w00t.gif chairfall.gif

lol2.gif

you can get the "tivo software" for your pc if you have a series 2 and pay for the service... this is the easy way, but there are free hacks that do the same things...

with the tivo software, and the tivo set to communcate, via the tivo website, you can stream the tivo to other tivos in the same house, and soon over the internet to people on your "buddy list" (they are trying to get this approved)

you can also stream the tivo shows to your PC and copy to a dvd...

inversely you can send music and still pictures from your PC to you TIVO so you can hear MP3s/wmas all over the house...

you will need 1 extra piece of equipment... a USB wireless network adapter. you can get them for around $20(YMMV), and the tivo website has a list of the proven adapters(I use WUSB11 linksys, since it was cheap...

this also lets you use your broadband for tivo downloads, instead of the stupid dialup modem.

one more perk: you can go online and schedule your tivo to record things from ANYWHERE you have internet access through the tivo website...

good deal for $12/month... I use ALL of these functions, they are very useful.

I can get a buddy to send you XBOX hacks too if you want...

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Aug 9 2005, 09:16 PM)
Netgear has a box that shows up on sale for under $100 every once in a while. It has a nice display, seems similar to the Roku (which I have seen on display at Frys) in features but at 1/3 the price.

agree.gif

these are nice too... quiry to get set up the first time, but after that, they are really good quality... also watch WOOT they have a rockford fosgate kit that has one of these home units and a car unit to match, for about $200... you can copy 20GB of your mp3s to your car, wirelessly! and it hooks to any car stereo
mightyohm
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 10 2005, 05:35 AM)

Dude, you need to learn the wonders of the Linksys NSLU2. I'm telling you, these things are cool. Way smaller than a MicroATX, no fans... Just pair it up with an external USB bay and you are good to go...

bd1308
google doesnt have anything....where can i dig info on these?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.