Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 breaker
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frostyf
Hi, one of my local scrap yards has a 944 being broken? I had a quick look, but wondered if anyone knows of any parts worth salvaging for use in a 914?
bdstone914
The headlight pivots are the same.
Hubs are wanted by VW Bus guys.
Chris914n6
rear wheel spacers and 80mm studs.

combo gauge is nice if you have a waterpumper swap. 160mph speedo. other gauges jic.

5 lug wheels. My local Pic-a-part gets $100/set so even if I don't need them I can't say no.

There are other stuff like switches that can be resold.
mate914
Seat belts, screws and bolts.
Jack Standz
The small space saver spare may be worth getting, depending on condition.
porschetub
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Dec 28 2022, 02:51 AM) *

The compressors for these are worth good money also.
frostyf
Right I feel trip back is on the cards. I looked at the space saver, which was kind of weird looking!
frostyf
QUOTE(mate914 @ Dec 27 2022, 07:08 AM) *

Seat belts, screws and bolts.

Do they fit a 914?
frostyf
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 27 2022, 03:10 AM) *

combo gauge is nice if you have a waterpumper swap. 160mph speedo. other gauges jic.

5 lug wheels. My local Pic-a-part gets $100/set so even if I don't need them I can't say no.

I think the wheels have gone, are the rear spacers attached to the hubs or simply over the studs??
zoomCat
I had read somewhere that the windshield wiper motor could be used to convert to a 3 speed, but I can’t find the reference.
914rrr
IIRC, the rear trailing arms, especially the alloy Turbo ones, can be used for Type 1 disc brake conversions.

If it were me and I was already there, I'd harvest whatever I could. 944 924 values are rising. I'm pretty sure the rear glass hatches are NLA and / or $$$$$. If it has even a "decent" dash, it's worth grabbing. I saw an early 944 NOS dash that was close to $2000.
mb911
QUOTE(zoomCat @ Dec 27 2022, 11:14 AM) *

I had read somewhere that the windshield wiper motor could be used to convert to a 3 speed, but I can’t find the reference.

Yup that was me
Front yard mechanic
The roof for hardtop conversion?
porschetub
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 28 2022, 01:23 PM) *

good point but depending on market most had the removeable near useless roof option,only one I have ever seen is my JDM 89 2.7 ,only bought this non compliant car for the motor only,it was a hardtop but often the JDM cars were budget spec so think it was a sunroof delete.?.
bdstone914
QUOTE(frostyf @ Dec 27 2022, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 27 2022, 03:10 AM) *

I think the wheels have gone, are the rear spacers attached to the hubs or simply over the studs??

Yes but not all years had spacers.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Dec 27 2022, 11:51 AM) *

Particularly the turbo SSS… alloy IIRC…
carr914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Dec 27 2022, 08:23 PM) *

only the early Manual Roof, not the later electric ones
Retroracer
The 5 lug 944 front hubs (bearings, washers and locking nut) and rotors are 911 strut compatible (NOTE - may differ over model years). These items may be of value to anyone doing a 5 lug conversion. I think they even have "911" part numbers...?

I have these on my GT tribute car, courtesy pick'n'pull (though I did replace the bearings with new ones),

- Tony
BK911
Click to view attachment

If the spare looks like this one I would be intetested.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(BK911 @ Dec 28 2022, 09:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

356 guys pay for those.
BK911
So do us 912 guys!
I need a spare.

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 28 2022, 10:59 AM) *

The 5 lug 944 front hubs (bearings, washers and locking nut) and rotors are 911 strut compatible (NOTE - may differ over model years). These items may be of value to anyone doing a 5 lug conversion. I think they even have "911" part numbers...?

I have these on my GT tribute car, courtesy pick'n'pull (though I did replace the bearings with new ones),

- Tony

@'Retroracer
The hubs are not 911 parts. The offset is about 1/2 inch less than a 911 hub and requires a spacer and longer studs installed to prevent the tires from rubbing. That may vary with the wheel offset.
Retroracer
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 28 2022, 11:58 AM) *

- Tony

@'Retroracer
The hubs are not 911 parts. The offset is about 1/2 inch less than a 911 hub and requires a spacer and longer studs installed to prevent the tires from rubbing. That may vary with the wheel offset.

@bdstone914 - I didn't claim they were "bolt on"; as stated, they are compatible with the 911 strut. Any GT (or flared 914 variant) will likely run with spacers / longer studs anyway. There are also various offsets / depths to 911 hubs I believe.

The OP asked for parts worth salvaging for a 914 - I believe these parts may have value,

- Tony
bdstone914
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 28 2022, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 28 2022, 11:58 AM) *

- Tony

@'Retroracer

@bdstone914 - I didn't claim they were "bolt on"; as stated, they are compatible with the 911 strut. Any GT (or flared 914 variant) will likely run with spacers / longer studs anyway. There are also various offsets / depths to 911 hubs I believe.

The OP asked for parts worth salvaging for a 914 - I believe these parts may have value,

- Tony

I agree. Also the thrust washers for the hubs are compatable with 911 hubs. I still have a bunch of the lock nuts as they are about $30 each new
frostyf
QUOTE(BK911 @ Dec 28 2022, 12:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi there, there is a space saver like that. I'll see what they're asking for a spare wheel and let you know likely price. Its numbered 911 361 022 11. Im not sure what postage etc would be.
frostyf
This is the spare tyre no!Click to view attachment
moldygreg
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 27 2022, 01:50 PM) *

IIRC, the rear trailing arms, especially the alloy Turbo ones, can be used for Type 1 disc brake conversions.

If it were me and I was already there, I'd harvest whatever I could. 944 924 values are rising. I'm pretty sure the rear glass hatches are NLA and / or $$$$$. If it has even a "decent" dash, it's worth grabbing. I saw an early 944 NOS dash that was close to $2000.

^^^ Good one! 1985.5 on up dashes are no longer available and worth $$$.
Early dashes are being remade by Porsche Classic again, but are costly.

If it has Sport Seats, grab them regardless of condition.
Van B
Aux air regulator is the same as the 1.8 L-jet part… but who knows if it works
BK911
QUOTE(frostyf @ Jan 4 2023, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(BK911 @ Dec 28 2022, 12:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hi there, there is a space saver like that. I'll see what they're asking for a spare wheel and let you know likely price. Its numbered 911 361 022 11. Im not sure what postage etc would be.

Thanks but I think that's a standard steelie.
frostyf
Was too late getting back and the car has gone, but the space saver wheel is still there. It is steel construction but has a strange tire with two valves.

Not sure what the yard will ask for it, or how much shipping would be, but could buy it if anyone is interested!

Thanks but I think that's a standard steelie.
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.