Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picking up new 914 project. Any tips tricks for loading an inop 914 on a U-haul trailer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914rrr
Hi guys, I'm picking up a inop roller 914 tomorrow in Louisville KY. I'm looking for ideas for loading this 914 on a U-Haul car transport trailer. It will likely be just my wife and I and we may need some mechanical assistance to load it.

Q: Has anybody figured out a way to temporarily mount a hand crank boat winch on said U-Haul trailer?

Another potential 914 parts car has a broken passenger side suspension console. Any ideas for loading that on a U-Haul trailer would be appreciated as well.
BillC
Maybe you can use a come-along instead of a winch? It's the same sort of thing as a winch, but has a hook on the end of the ratchet section.
914Sixer
Please make sure you have a spare short chain to run though the front tow hook to u-haul trailer frame. Had ratchet straps come loose. Only thing that saved car was the extra safety chain I put on.
914rrr
QUOTE(BillC @ Dec 29 2022, 09:58 AM) *

Maybe you can use a come-along instead of a winch? It's the same sort of thing as a winch, but has a hook on the end of the ratchet section.

Thanks, that looks like a quicker, easier solution. Something like this?
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-cable-w...ller-61964.html

914rrr
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 29 2022, 10:02 AM) *

Please make sure you have a spare short chain to run though the front tow hook to u-haul trailer frame. Had ratchet straps come loose. Only thing that saved car was the extra safety chain I put on.

Thanks, likely have to run some chain through the front suspension arms as this 914 has / had AC and I'm sure the front tow loop, due to hacking up the floor pan, has been severely compromised.
914rrr
Q: How much drop on the hitch, if any, would I need for a 2011 Ford F-150 / Lincoln Navigator to hitch up the U-Haul Trailer?

... Or could I use a straight multi-ball hitch?
FlacaProductions
Yes - like that - but with potentially no front tow hook you may be tempted to use the rear tow eye. Don't do it. Don't tow/trailer a 914 backwards - you'll blow out the rear window and maybe blow off the roof, too.

QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 29 2022, 07:10 AM) *

914rrr
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 29 2022, 11:32 AM) *

Yes - like that - but with potentially no front tow hook you may be tempted to use the rear tow eye. Don't do it. Don't tow/trailer a 914 backwards - you'll blow out the rear window and maybe blow off the roof, too.

Great advice and cautionary tale! I haven't tried or experienced the 914 backward tow results, but heard from a parts customer or 2 (used windshields) that had their 914 windshield blow out while towing backwards!
flmont
also make sure your come-a-long cable is long enough a definite hassle if it's not,..Have fun..
BeatNavy
Both 914 projects I trailered home had one or more frozen calipers. That can make things trickier unless you have confirmation that it actually, you know, rolls. If not, bring enough tools to remove calipers as needed.
914rrr
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 29 2022, 12:39 PM) *

Both 914 projects I trailered home had one or more frozen calipers. That can make things trickier unless you have confirmation that it actually, you know, rolls. If not, bring enough tools to remove calipers as needed.

Ah yes, been there, done that! Confirmed they weren't frozen, bringing tools and pry bars just in case. Quasi-bonus, the brake lines are rotted away... so no fluid, no pressure!
burton73
The last 70 914 4 I saved from the wrecker had not only flat tires but after I sold it to someone here to build a 6 conversion had the parking brake froze up and when the flatbed picked it up it had to drag the frozen rear brakes.

Good suggestions. I must work this out when Eric picks up my blue 74 with no brakes in the new year. It does roll and we will have a number of people helping

Bob B
930cabman
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 29 2022, 12:52 PM) *

Ah yes, been there, done that! Confirmed they weren't frozen, bringing tools and pry bars just in case. Quasi-bonus, the brake lines are rotted away... so no fluid, no pressure!

Sounds like a project, keep us posted and hb a few pics of the before?
infraredcalvin
All good suggestions, also beware if the ramp lips hitting the bottom if tHe car is lowered or tires flat.

I’ve used ratchet straps to pull a 914 on the trailer, it works but takes forever, the come along you linked to is much better and faster.

I’ve also used a uhaul open trailer (6x12) & furniture dollys to transport no suspension parts cars, the width barely accommodates a narrow body car,.

Be smart, problem solve, and you should be fine. Good Luck!
Dlee6205
I've used Uhauls to haul home many 914s...

Bring a wheel chock or block of wood. The come along is not going to be long enough to do a single pull. I usually have to block the car halfway up the ramp and reposition the come along.

Depending on the state of the car, I also jack up the front of the trailer so the ramps are more in plane with the trailer bed. If you don't do this the engine bar could get hung up on the back of the trailer coming over the ramp/lip. I've had that happen plenty of times.
sixaddict
I have normally used portable winches ….obviously a bit more than the come along but really reasonable.
Walmart …tractor supply.n
I used jumper box to power it ….and it is piece of cake.
The uhaul auto transporters tow nicely ….
Just did a 6 hour each way haul…..empty you forget it’s there even with Tundra etc. The car in avatar was pushed with two people but no resistance as calipers are not on car.
As others have said use chains that are there as extra safety measure.
mepstein
Hit the easy button and hire a flatbed. I just did it with one of my cars yesterday.

I’ve picked up cars with locked up calipers. The winch on the flatbed moves the car whether or not the wheels roll.

JeffBowlsby
Flatbed is the way to go. Barring that forget the comealong, use:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/wi...inch-61237.html
808 WRX
QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Dec 29 2022, 10:21 AM) *

Bring a wheel chock or block of wood. The come along is not going to be long enough to do a single pull. I usually have to block the car halfway up the ramp and reposition the come along.

Depending on the state of the car, I also jack up the front of the trailer so the ramps are more in plane with the trailer bed. If you don't do this the engine bar could get hung up on the back of the trailer coming over the ramp/lip. I've had that happen plenty of times.

Yes, both of these!

You can use the safety chain to help reposition the come-along.

Jacking up the front of the trailer helps, especially if the floors are rusty and hanging down av-943.gif
watsonrx13
Congratulations... BTW it didn't happen unless there are pictures.... first.gif

Regards, Rob Watson
914rrr
QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Dec 29 2022, 01:21 PM) *

Thanks for the heads up. Yup, just bought a whole buncha straps, chains, slings, ratchet straps, a come along and 4 wheel chocks at harbor freight. No engine bar, engine and trans removed and sitting in passenger compartment.
914rrr
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 29 2022, 02:56 PM) *

Hit the easy button and hire a flatbed. I just did it with one of my cars yesterday.

I’ve picked up cars with locked up calipers. The winch on the flatbed moves the car whether or not the wheels roll.

Tempted, but car is 4+ hours away. It would be a hella tow bill! We're making the trip up and back in 1 day. Leaving at 4 AM.
930cabman
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 29 2022, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Dec 29 2022, 01:21 PM) *

Thanks for the heads up. Yup, just bought a whole buncha straps, chains, slings, ratchet straps, a come along and 4 wheel chocks at harbor freight. No engine bar, engine and trans removed and sitting in passenger compartment.

You will be fine, they are not that heavy. I have used a come along several times, frozen wheels and all. Make sure she is strapped down good and stop every so often to double check. For the price of a U Haul, it's a no brainer. GLWPU
914rrr
OK, Rant Time. U-Haul has maintained their 100% perfect record of delivering equipment (trucks, dollys, trailers, etc.) with underinflated tires !!! Employee told me " they didn't have an inflation gauge" WTF ?!?!?!?!? Guess what, I DID !!! Employee proceeded to thump trailer tires with a stick and proclaim "...they're all fine..." Quick check with my Ryobi inflator netted anywhere from 47 psi to 56 psi. They grudgingly agreed to top them all off.

Lesson: NEVER assume U-Haul has properly inflated tires on ANYTHING on their lot. Same goes for equipment maintenance like properly lubed tire strap ratchets (HA HA), broken or missing ramp pins, etc.
Ishley
After the first 10 minutes of driving stop and check everything. A few stop and go’s and you’ll know what’s moving around. Check it again after driving a bit on the highway. Place the car facing forward in the trailer.

Good luck!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 29 2022, 10:48 AM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 29 2022, 11:32 AM) *

Great advice and cautionary tale! I haven't tried or experienced the 914 backward tow results, but heard from a parts customer or 2 (used windshields) that had their 914 windshield blow out while towing backwards!

From experience.... the owner of the body shop that has Betty's car is a long time 914 owner. He has a 350 Chevy in it, and he used to put it on his trailer to take it to events, and he always put it on backwards to make the tongue weight better.

We were behind him on the freeway, and we watched his top peel off the car and come flying past us. It just missed us. So I suggest that you put it on the trailer facing forward. I have been trailering 914s for years with no issues facing forward.

Clay
lesorubcheek
Just a few things from the one we picked up earlier this year. First, those U-Haul car trailers are very nice. It was stable at speed and was a very affordable option. The 914 we picked up had no rear suspension, so the seller used a lift mounted on the rear of his van to pick up the rear of the car and (amazingly) we rolled it up onto the trailer with no problems. Used a tractor with a lift pole to roll it off, even easier.
This car didn't have a key and (of course) the front wheels were turned to the right with the ignition locked. Had to unbolt and remove the steering shaft u-joints so I could move the wheels by hand to steer it. We would never have loaded it if we couldn't straighten the wheels. Always a good idea to have tools handy.
The U-Haul trailer had a folding left side fender so with it folded down you could open the drivers door of the loaded car. The right side didn't fold, so once loaded you couldn't open the passenger side door due to no clearance. Likely not an issue, but good to know ahead of time just in case.
Best of luck with your new 914 and have fun!
Dan
willieg
My brother-in-law has used the Uhaul car trailers a couple of times for his 914 and says it is the best way. BTW: I heard a story about a 914 that was put on a trailer backward and the windshield blew out. Urban legend? Maybe but also something to think about.
willieg
My brother-in-law has used the Uhaul car trailers a couple of times for his 914 and says it is the best way. BTW: I heard a story about a 914 that was put on a trailer backward and the windshield blew out. Urban legend? Maybe but also something to think about.
Cairo94507
Never assume tires are properly inflated on equipment you rent. I always check them before trailering anything anywhere. I also check to make sure all of the lights are working properly. Don't be that guy with no brake/taillights on the road. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Not an urban legend, I had a brand new windshield blown out from towing it backwards. Took the new chrome with it. Expensive lesson.
mepstein
I towed a bunch of 914’s with u-hauls before I worked at the Porsche shop with a big trailer. There’s no reason to put a 914 on backwards. The 914 is light and the u-haul trailer is heavy. You will barely know the 914 is there. Targa tops and windshields do blow out when trailered backwards. Same with rear trunks. Front trunks have safety latches, rear trunks don’t. Cars are meant to go forwards, not high speed in reverse.
Drive a mile or so with the car on the trailer, hit the brakes, get out and recheck the straps. Be prepared for someone to cut you off or stop short at a yellow light. Trailering a car is a magnet for people to do dumb stuff in front of you. Prepare for the weather. It always starts to rain when you have to load a car.
FlacaProductions
Not to hijack, but on the topic of "Cars are meant to go forwards, not high speed in reverse" - why are nearly ALL open car haulers loaded with a reverse-facing vehicle on the top floor? Even new-car/OEM/factory haulers. This makes me itch and I just keep thinking that these vehicles aren't made to travel backwards at speed...but I must be missing something since everyone's doing it.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 31 2022, 12:25 PM) *

Not to hijack, but on the topic of "Cars are meant to go forwards, not high speed in reverse" - why are nearly ALL open car haulers loaded with a reverse-facing vehicle on the top floor? Even new-car/OEM/factory haulers. This makes me itch and I just keep thinking that these vehicles aren't made to travel backwards at speed...but I must be missing something since everyone's doing it.

Completely different scenario with modern cars where glass is bonded to the body and with functional body seals. Modern glass is not going to blow out.

Spend some time on Google images. How the first top level car is loaded is pretty random. Depends on the truck, the trailer, the size of vehicle being loaded, and driver preference managing the load and center of gravity. I’ve seen plenty of car haulers loaded in my life at the factory and see it done both ways.
mepstein
Like Phil said, modern cars are different. I gave Jarred a rear trunk lid when his was towed backwards and the hood sprung. No reason to tow it backwards, especially when the A-arms make great points to strap the winch.
914rrr
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Dec 29 2022, 04:46 PM) *

Congratulations... BTW it didn't happen unless there are pictures.... first.gif

Regards, Rob Watson

Here ya go! 3+ hour ordeal getting it on the trailer: discs dragging badly, crappy HF come-along wouldn't release reliably, tires wouldn't stay aired, etc., etc. almost late getting back home to U-Haul for the trailer return, luckily it rolled off way easier than it went on.

I discovered this 74 is already in the register. More details to follow.

Click to view attachment
914rrr
...passed the all important jack test!!

Click to view attachment
930cabman
Is that a longish hole in the lower portion of the door? but the long looks good. Glad you made it home in one piece and good luck with the resto
CCE
I use the tow hooks in the lower front and back, the day my coil failed.

They worked fine.

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 29 2022, 09:52 AM) *

Just be happy it has wheels, it's a lot harder when they don't....
914rrr
Wow, that's quite the save!!

OK, I may be doing "inop 914 on a U-haul trailer" V2 soon. The kicker with V2 is a broken passenger side suspension console.

Any tips / tricks / advice / etc. on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 29 2022, 07:17 PM) *

OK, Rant Time. U-Haul has maintained their 100% perfect record of delivering equipment (trucks, dollys, trailers, etc.) with underinflated tires !!! Employee told me " they didn't have an inflation gauge" WTF ?!?!?!?!? Guess what, I DID !!! Employee proceeded to thump trailer tires with a stick and proclaim "...they're all fine..." Quick check with my Ryobi inflator netted anywhere from 47 psi to 56 psi. They grudgingly agreed to top them all off.

Lesson: NEVER assume U-Haul has properly inflated tires on ANYTHING on their lot. Same goes for equipment maintenance like properly lubed tire strap ratchets (HA HA), broken or missing ramp pins, etc.

I once rented a U hual trailer that pulled funny. When i checked the tire pressure they ranged from 20 to 80 psi.
914rrr
In answer to my last post re: loading a non-op 914 on a U-Haul with a broken suspension console... did it !!!

Picking up the car involved prodigious amounts of redneck engineering. The seller was an old school southern import mechanic and was extremely helpful in loading up the car.

The donor car was hella rusty. like the jack went through several places in the floor pan. They jacked the front of the car way up using rubber blocks, sideways ATV ramps, etc. to enable me back up the trailer up under the front wheels and basically "muscle" the 2 rear wheels the rest of the way on the trailer. including the passenger side frozen wheel and severely broken suspension console.

Click to view attachment

930cabman
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jan 22 2023, 06:08 PM) *

In answer to my last post re: loading a non-op 914 on a U-Haul with a broken suspension console... did it !!!

Picking up the car involved prodigious amounts of redneck engineering. The seller was an old school southern import mechanic and was extremely helpful in loading up the car.

The donor car was hella rusty. like the jack went through several places in the floor pan. They jacked the front of the car way up using rubber blocks, sideways ATV ramps, etc. to enable me back up the trailer up under the front wheels and basically "muscle" the 2 rear wheels the rest of the way on the trailer. including the passenger side frozen wheel and severely broken suspension console.

Click to view attachment

And you are going to repair this specimen?
914rrr
Unloading was a whole different story... I rented the trailer for 2 days as a contingency plan, just in case. I "almost" was able to do the entire trip as a 1 day rental but a 2 hr. delay due to an accident on I-75 north of Chattanooga screwed that up. Not to mention that the air suspension pump on our Navigator decided to take a dump upon arrival home. At least it didn't happen DURING the trip. Another lesson learned, get the additional insurance on the trailer. Since I couldn't return the car trailer due to the wounded tow vehicle, they picked it up for free.

I slept on it and had a "eureka" moment! I had some large pieces of cardboard laying around and a bag full of "furniture" skates. Sooo... I was able to use the skates under the frozen wheel / broken suspension console and by alternating 3 rubber wheel chocks I slowly walked / slid the car off the trailer and into my garage.

Click to view attachment
914rrr
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 22 2023, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Jan 22 2023, 06:08 PM) *

Click to view attachment

And you are going to repair this specimen?

Nope... waay too far gone to restore, will be used as a donor vehicle for my 74 2.0. So much for "rust free southern cars" LOL!! 30+ years of sitting in a field in AL did a number on this teener!
Superhawk996
You do know the trailer has ramps . . . Right? confused24.gif

I guess from the unload photo you knew that - glad you got it loaded and unloaded without anyone getting hurt.
914rrr
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 22 2023, 07:47 PM) *

You do know the trailer has ramps . . . Right? confused24.gif

I guess from the unload photo you knew that - glad you got it loaded and unloaded without anyone getting hurt.

Yup, ramps were in Plan A consisting of a HF hand winch mounted to a hitch extender to pull it up on the trailer along with a HF small furniture dolly under the passenger side frozen wheel and broken suspension arm "combo".

Upon arrival and inspection, we were concerned about dragging the "combo" any distance at all as it was literally hanging on by a thread! With the "drive the trailer under it" Plan B method we only had to drag the "combo" about a foot vs 8-10 feet.

I didn't think of the "cardboard and furniture skate" Plan C method until I got home.
914rrr
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 16 2023, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 29 2022, 07:17 PM) *

I once rented a U hual trailer that pulled funny. When i checked the tire pressure they ranged from 20 to 80 psi.

Well, U-Haul in Knoxville on Clinton Hwy broke the 100% underinflated tire record and actually had all 4 tires properly inflated !!! Shocker !!!
930cabman
I have used U Haul several times in the past with nothing but good success
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.