Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914-4 Owner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doopsx3
Hello, I purchased a 71 914-4 from an abandoned/confiscated auction and I did it online so I was not able to inspect the vehicle thoroughly. from the pics it looked fairly complete but after I got it home and was able to open the engine compartment, I found that most (if not all) of the FI system was missing. I finally got the front and rear storage compartments open but no FI parts. My question is what is the best carbureted system to put on the car? I believe that an OG FI system would be way too much money for me to invest in that car before I know it can run or not. TIA
JeffBowlsby
What parts do you have and what do you need?
doopsx3
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 29 2022, 04:49 PM) *

What parts do you have and what do you need?

its missing (from what I see/know) injectors, intakes, plenum, throttle body, computer, air cleaner, all sensors....so everything just about
930cabman
Is there compression? Do you have any history to indicate if she was recently running? If you are somewhat confident she may run, find a set of Weber 40IDF carbs. The "standard" hex bar linkage leaves something to be desired. I have fabricated a couple sets of bell crank linkage and it works well.(If you are creative)

Most of all, welcome aboard
Art44
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 29 2022, 06:56 PM) *

Is there compression? Do you have any history to indicate if she was recently running? If you are somewhat confident she may run, find a set of Weber 40IDF carbs. The "standard" hex bar linkage leaves something to be desired. I have fabricated a couple sets of bell crank linkage and it works well.(If you are creative)

How about some pics of your bell crank linkage. Might be helpful at least for me . Thx
emerygt350
Pics will go miles. If there's nothing left in there, all the better for a pull and fun carb rebuild.
Superhawk996
With no intake on it I’d be highly suspicious as to whether water may have gotten into the engine. The rain tray does not ensure a completely dry engine compartment.

A compression test is definitely in order before you spend a dime on induction hoping it may run.

As far as carbs go, anything other than IDF style carbs (Weber. Dellorto, or EMPI) are a complete wast of time. However the stock cam leaves a lot of performance on the table if that wasn’t already changed.
doopsx3
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 29 2022, 06:56 PM) *

Thank you
doopsx3
Sorry, I have been busy with the other car I bought at the same time (not Porsche) I will try to post some pics soon the 914 had been sitting for some time and I assume the engine is stuck...been raining here on and off and I don't have space available to get the car in my shop just yet...the 914 is in a covered lean to
bkrantz
If you can find a bit of time, remove the spark plugs and squirt your favorite solvent/lubricant into the cylinders. It can sit while you find more 914 time.
searunner
For Carbs throttle command can be easy to follow my solution for Weber or Dell'Orto- here are some photos -hope that this helps:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KmbY1AhqFA63jomC8
all pieces can be find on a carbs shop and Hardware shop
rhodyguy
There is a whole lot more to swapping to a set carbs than just a set of carbs. ESP used ones. Intakes, a solid functional linkage, a distributor, a correct low pressure fuel pump, filters, some sort of vapor control, a Weber manual, various gaskets…Budget at least $1k for the package. Not to include any labor $ if you get lost. And the tow fee when you get lost and need the car hauled to the mechanic.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if you have to carb, then dual 40s. we have on the shelf. If you reinstall the original fuel injection, it would be the best to do but the parts would usually all have to be reconditioned. We have a complete 1.7 system USED for 1500 that is complete

QUOTE(doopsx3 @ Dec 29 2022, 03:41 PM) *

Hello, I purchased a 71 914-4 from an abandoned/confiscated auction and I did it online so I was not able to inspect the vehicle thoroughly. from the pics it looked fairly complete but after I got it home and was able to open the engine compartment, I found that most (if not all) of the FI system was missing. I finally got the front and rear storage compartments open but no FI parts. My question is what is the best carbureted system to put on the car? I believe that an OG FI system would be way too much money for me to invest in that car before I know it can run or not. TIA

JamesM
Not sure where you are in Texas, but you wont find a better deal then this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=362450

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.