Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 mechanics needed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If anyone hears of anyone who would want to have a great job restoring 914s we need them. Hard these days to find ANYONE to work on vintage cars, and we have a shop FULL of Porsches waiting to be repaired and or restored

Click to view attachment
914werke
Mechanics are a dime a dozen dry.gif sounds like you want craftsmen, but you gotta pay craftsman wages chowtime.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 30 2022, 03:48 PM) *

Mechanics are a dime a dozen dry.gif sounds like you want craftsmen, but you gotta pay craftsman wages chowtime.gif

Trying to find someone who can show up every day and (correctly) sweep the floor is near impossible. Too bad, the number of skilled conscientious workers is dwindling by the day. The high majority of young people these days wants to get an easy job and pocket $80.k the first year.
windforfun
Too bad you're back in Georgia. I'm in California & retired. I'd love to come work for you part time. Do you have steam cleaning capabilities? I suppose you have a good machine shop. Nice looking shop BTW.
Superhawk996
Remote position? av-943.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 30 2022, 07:05 PM) *

Trying to find someone who can show up every day and (correctly) sweep the floor is near impossible. Too bad, the number of skilled conscientious workers is dwindling by the day. The high majority of young people these days wants to get an easy job and pocket $80.k the first year.

I work out of the same shop as a bunch of young guys who started their own Porsche build and repair business. They work super hard but decided they wanted to work for their future, not to make someone else wealthy. I think a lot of younger people today have a different mindset from our parents and grandparents generations. They don’t want to slave away for 40-50 years just to make the people at the top rich. I don’t blame them. I’m also exposed to my kids and their peers. They want to have a life, not just a job. If they can figure out a way to make $80 a year without working too hard, good for them. My son made 150 his first year out of college so there’s opportunity out there if you go after it.
Root_Werks
I hope you find some people. Folks that work on older cars are getting scarce.

As said, a mechanic is fairly common, a craftsman is harder to come by.
sixnotfour
914's are not Cars....
JeffBowlsby
What degree, position and in what city gets 150 the first year out of school? Wall Street?
Chris914n6
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 30 2022, 06:12 PM) *

What degree, position and in what city gets 150 the first year out of school? Wall Street?

My sister graduated as a Geologist a few years ago. An oil company was offering $100k to start. Almost anything STEM will get you 6 figures these days.
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 30 2022, 09:12 PM) *

Davidson College, Physics major, math minor. First job was Jeffries bank in Charlotte NC. Worked in real estate division. Then private equity at Carlise (still real estate) Now Artemis real estate in DC. 5 years out of college, I think he probably make 400-450.
Most of his college friends have similar salaries.

He's always been good at math.
Superhawk996
agree.gif

Add lots of overtime and/or extensive travel to the mix and $150k is feasible in STEM fields. The problem is the lack of a life gets old quickly.

$16.50/hr to work at fast food. That is $33k/yr just to have a warm body flipping burgers. Harbor Freight near me is paying $18/hr if you can count change at a till. That’s $36k/yr! My previous landscape guy was telling me he couldn’t get help at $25/hr (most) kids don’t like hot and sweaty work.

From the outside looking in, lots of small business claim they can’t find help, but part of the problem is they still want to pay 2010 wages. The dollar ain’t what it used to be!
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2022, 05:26 PM) *

I work out of the same shop as a bunch of young guys who started their own Porsche build and repair business. They work super hard but decided they wanted to work for their future, not to make someone else wealthy. I think a lot of younger people today have a different mindset from our parents and grandparents generations. They don’t want to slave away for 40-50 years just to make the people at the top rich. I don’t blame them. I’m also exposed to my kids and their peers. They want to have a life, not just a job. If they can figure out a way to make $80 a year without working too hard, good for them. My son made 150 his first year out of college so there’s opportunity out there if you go after it.

Opportunity is not just measured in $$. I know lots of miserable people that make the big bucks. I also know many that love the work they do and are glad to be a part of it. It becomes a part of their family as well.
mepstein
My son was working 70-80 hour weeks when he started but now it's probably 50 and weekends are off. That's pretty normal in finance. Work like a dog at first but make more and work less as time goes on.
All his employers have treated him very well. Not just salary, he really likes the people and the working environment.

My daughter is living in NYC and doesn't make the big salary of her brother but she loves city life and is taking her time to find her passion.
JeffBowlsby
Wow, that’s impressive. Being both smart and hard working pays off.
mepstein
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 30 2022, 11:30 PM) *

Wow, that’s impressive. Being both smart and hard working pays off.

Passed down from my wife, not me.

He didn't have any interest in finance until the last year or so of college. Took an unpaid internship, then a paid internship. The unpaid internship was great because not getting paid, he wasn't pressured to do any particular job. He was able learn from the people who worked there and consequently, learn the business and get experience.
914e
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2022, 06:26 PM) *

Last year I pretty much chewed out my boss at a breakfast meeting for losing our best CAD operators to being UBER drivers. If you can't beat UBER's pay and/ or flexibility good luck finding anyone to work for you. The young generations saw first hand how much employers have their backs. It is pretty much, no thanks I will do my own thing.

wonkipop
QUOTE(914e @ Dec 31 2022, 12:10 AM) *

Last year I pretty much chewed out my boss at a breakfast meeting for losing our best CAD operators to being UBER drivers. If you can't beat UBER's pay and/ or flexibility good luck finding anyone to work for you. The young generations saw first hand how much employers have their backs. It is pretty much, no thanks I will do my own thing.

i honestly do not understand this conversation.

other than to say the young are out of time, and about to find themselves in a time.

observe the UK economy and soon to be european economy.
its already happening here.

yep. those 100K jobs etc are evaporating.
the banks are taking back the houses.
etc and so forth.

real jobs doing real things might be a reality again.

give it a year or two.

happy new year.
beerchug.gif

i am a day in front and its about 4 hours away.
but things are changing.

you might get your mechanics yet.

there will be all sorts of cult industries in the decade ahead. beerchug.gif
mb911
All good points

George to your need unfortunately for the most part you are looking for a middle aged skilled enthusiast. That is a hard market as that resembles many of us on this forum. We all have jobs currently that allow for this addiction and as much as I would love to work at your shop it would require selling my home and moving my family and giving up a great retirement. 20 years ago I and I am sure many others would have been in.
Amphicar770
If I were in the area and either younger or retired, I would consider this.

The worker shortage cuts both ways. In all fields, most job postings call for approx 7 years experience. What this says is that employers do not want to invest in training younger, inexperienced workers. Likewise, they do not want the level of experience that demands a premium salary. You can't have it both ways without being seen as a dead end job. Likewise, if you are raising your prices on goods and services due to inflation, while holding firm on what you pay your staff, don't be surprised when those people leave.
Lockwodo
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 31 2022, 12:46 AM) *

QUOTE(914e @ Dec 31 2022, 12:10 AM) *

i honestly do not understand this conversation.

other than to say the young are out of time, and about to find themselves in a time.

observe the UK economy and soon to be european economy.
its already happening here.

yep. those 100K jobs etc are evaporating.
the banks are taking back the houses.
etc and so forth.

real jobs doing real things might be a reality again.

give it a year or two.

happy new year.
beerchug.gif

i am a day in front and its about 4 hours away.
but things are changing.

you might get your mechanics yet.

there will be all sorts of cult industries in the decade ahead. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
914xr75
I am two years away from leaving a high-paying job that actually pays for your kids college education as well. If I stayed seven years I could take advantage of the college education but I’m going to pay for that myself and leave early. I don’t plan on ever not working, so in two years I’m gonna find some thing that I really enjoy doing.

I thought about pushing to be one of Jay Leno’s future drivers. I have friends that know him. I also figure once he can no longer drive he’s still gonna want to be behind an old car all day long. He’s probably going to need a team of drivers eventually.

If I found that job that was really not a job I would probably do it for nothing, just a chance to take my skills to the next level as pay. I would take this job George. But the first day I was treated with zero respect that would be my last day there. Lol. Not saying you would do that. I really respect you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.