Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jets are too small, how do I replace?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ronan
I just bought a 1975 1.8L, with dual weber 40mm carbs. The car was in an elevation of 7000 feet, but I live at 1300 feet, so it runs lean and dies when it tries to idle. Does anyone know about how difficult it is to replace the jets for my elevation? What is the proper size of jet? Any videos of how to do this?
930cabman
welcome.png

Was the engine running good at the higher elevation? I would not assume the jets are incorrect. Could be plugs, spark timing, clogged jets, .....

Have you checked the AFR with an accurate gauge?
QUOTE(ronan @ Dec 31 2022, 12:17 PM) *

I just bought a 1975 1.8L, with dual weber 40mm carbs. The car was in an elevation of 7000 feet, but I live at 1300 feet, so it runs lean and dies when it tries to idle. Does anyone know about how difficult it is to replace the jets for my elevation? What is the proper size of jet? Any videos of how to do this?

Go to Piercemanifold.com Much info about Weber carbs. you wont be sorry
stownsen914
Below is a pic of Webers. The jet stacks are the tall brass things between the air intake stacks. They unscrew, and the jets are assembled in a stack. Here's a thread from right here on the forum showing/describing how to disassemble the jet stacks.

Click to view attachment
slivel
Elevation makes a big difference in performance especially with carbs. From sea level tracks to Miller Motorsports near Salt Lake the change in elevation required one or two sizes smaller main jets for my car depending on air temperature/density.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.