Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Backyard pond with Aquarium type "window"?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Okay, I built an in-ground pond a few years ago...guess it's a few hundred gallons...it is surrounded by 2500 pounds of flagstone....after killing all 40+ goldfish last year*, I've let the pond dry up and now it's a trip hazard wacko.gif

Now I'd like to rebuild it with a new and better pump and filter. But instead of keeping it in-gound, I'd like to raise it up and make a viewing window at least a foot or so from the ground level..basicly a one-window aquarium.

Anyone have experiance with making something similar?
Should I plexiglass or tempered glass? What about sealing it to the rest of the pond walls?

*too much tap water into it when I drained it to clean it out some....poor fish unsure.gif
mightyohm
So I'm not an expert on aquariums or anything but... I predict in about 7 days the window will turn green, and in a couple weeks you won't be able to see the faintest amount of light thru it. Sounds like a bad idea. Plus the first time you hit a rock with the mower and shatter the window you'll kill another 40 goldfish. biggrin.gif
redshift
Google..

If you need new koi, I can work something out.

smile.gif

M
john rogers
I had a cousin back on the east coast (deceased now) who built several aquarium "walls" and used 1 inch thick tempered glass since they went to the ceiling. Remember the force of wather is about 1/2 pound per square inch per foot of height so the glass has to be pretty strong. If you are going up a foot or so then 3/8 inch should work okay. To seal it, I'd lay out the surfaces it sits against, seal them with a thin layer of concrete and then use GOOP sealer to glue the glass to it. If it were on a hill such as my back yard then the window could be much higher. This is on my todo list some day when I retire......
Mueller
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 9 2005, 07:16 PM)
Google..

If you need new koi, I can work something out.

smile.gif

M

had a few Koi at one time also, I blame the death of those on my wife, she put too much fertilizer in the flowers right in front of the pond and it leached into it....poor guys....
JeffBowlsby
I think you should use 914 glass pieces Mike....make it a 914 theme...maybe rear windows... biggrin.gif
snflupigus
I'd use plexi... probably a TON cheaper but it scratches so it might quickly hase up from the inside out.
jgara962
I built a 1,400 gallon koi pond with a stream and waterfall a couple of years ago. It is about 2 feet above the ground using interlocking blocks (10 pallets worth), my back aches just thinking about it. I can't make my picture smaller, so I will e-mail one to you. I've often sat on my patio thinking about the same thing. Biggest problem would be keeping it clean enough to see through, not to mention the possibility of leaks. My pond's enough work as it is.
Britain Smith
I wanna see a picture of your pond...post it here!

-Britain
MoveQik
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Aug 9 2005, 06:22 PM)
I think you should use 914 glass pieces Mike....make it a 914 theme...maybe rear windows... biggrin.gif

Hmmmm....given the 914's history with rust, it almost sounds cruel to turn one into an aquarium. I guess on really cold days you could put the Targa on! laugh.gif
jgara962
Hopefully this works...
Trekkor
Nice pond.

I've always liked ponds...Used to work at the Embassy Suites Hotel. They had a fish pond. It had koi, goldfish and even trout!

Mike, go for it! Sounds great.

Here in Napa the herons are hungry and they swoop into the backyard ponds and get the fish that aren't protected by netting or mesh. chowtime.gif

KT
TravisNeff
Stop peeing in the pond and the fishies might stick around a little longer laugh.gif
airsix
Mike,
Too much work. Just get one of these instead. wink.gif (I agree with the algae comments)

-Ben M.
Mikey914
I do not have experience building ponds but use 1/2" to 3/4" tempered glass for fabricating glass railings. I can get you an aluminum base if you need it, but the best bet is to use Hilti epoxy to set your panels and pour rock to finish the glazing.

Let me know if you need a glass quote.
www.rsnw.biz
jgara962
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 9 2005, 09:51 PM)
Nice pond.

I've always liked ponds...Used to work at the Embassy Suites Hotel. They had a fish pond. It had koi, goldfish and even trout!

Mike, go for it! Sounds great.

Here in Napa the herons are hungry and they swoop into the backyard ponds and get the fish that aren't protected by netting or mesh.  :chow:

KT

Herons are a touchy subject with me mad.gif

I've been doing battle with one for over a year now. Not that I want it eating any of my fish, but for some reason, it ignores the goldfish and goes after the more expensive koi.

I'll get it one of these days! ar15.gif
Brian Mifsud
Mike,

Sunlight will degrade plastic over time. I'd go with the tempered glass, and just quit mowing the lawn (put in iceplant or "Italian Grass" (rocks......))

I put in a pond this summer (160 gallons) using a rigid liner, (and 4 truckloads of rock donated by our nearby mountains.....) The algae seems to "bloom" and diminish on and off. All the books say to use a U.V. filter which will sterilize and kill everything that flows by (like algae). I'm losing fish right now to "Ich"... it's pretty gross, when chunks of them rot off. The Salt treatment seems to have worked.

Have fun.
MikeP
Yep go glass. You can get these very cool magnetic cleaners that go on either side of the glass so you can keep it super clean very easily.
markb
Fill it back up with water & put new fish in it. Spend your money on your 914, like the rest of us. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.