Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New OEM side shift bushes sloppy!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Hi guys.

The pair of new rear OEM from Porsche side shift bushes that I bought are larger than the pin. The pin OD is 12mm, the bush ID is 13mm. My options - with comments - are as follows:-

1. Install as is - but will the gear shift be sloppy and I don't really want to do it again in the near future
2. Take them back to Porsche - but I want to get the car going tomorrow
3. Get some 0.5mm brass shim and bush the bushes - that I think is my preferred option
4. Use 3D printed bushes that I have just made out of PLA+ that have a proper snug fit - but will PLA+ last??

Or, maybe, this slop is meant to be there??

Comments, suggestions welcome. I'm near the bottom of the world, so will check for any responses when I awake tomorrow.

Thanks
DaveO
930cabman
Yes, many of us have been in the same boat. I changed mine a year or so ago and had my local machinist make some for me out of teflon. So far they are working well. From what I can tell the factory made them very loose to allow for some amount of mis alignment in the system. There is some distance and some number of connections from your hand to the gearbox.
914Sixer
Quality control sucks. I used brass bushings I picked up on Ebay. You may have to tweak them to fit.
rgalla9146
The new OEM ones have an oval shape hole and a 964 (?) part number.
Pretty disappointing for our needs.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you bought the wrong ones, you need the white delrin with the exact sized hole. THOSE you bought are for 356 911 to allow for engine movement

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jan 4 2023, 04:06 AM) *

Hi guys.

The pair of new rear OEM from Porsche side shift bushes that I bought are larger than the pin. The pin OD is 12mm, the bush ID is 13mm. My options - with comments - are as follows:-

1. Install as is - but will the gear shift be sloppy and I don't really want to do it again in the near future
2. Take them back to Porsche - but I want to get the car going tomorrow
3. Get some 0.5mm brass shim and bush the bushes - that I think is my preferred option
4. Use 3D printed bushes that I have just made out of PLA+ that have a proper snug fit - but will PLA+ last??

Or, maybe, this slop is meant to be there??

Comments, suggestions welcome. I'm near the bottom of the world, so will check for any responses when I awake tomorrow.

Thanks
DaveO

robkammer
DaveO: I had exactly the same problem with Porsche bushings. George at AA has correct bushings, but remind the person who takes your order to pull the correct ones. They also have the wrong bushings in a bin close by. Shipping wlll take a while though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.