Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pek771
Hi all:
I am planning on flat towing the 914 from Bradenton to Conover, NC. 635 miles door to door. The car has no windshield installed. I have the old windshield (which is badly cracked) basically lying in it's channel-no butyl, no spacers, no trim. I put it there when the movers came...it was in the way. The rest of the glass is good, and in the rear trunk.

I do not have a new windshield nor will I have one before I leave for NC (next week).
I sort of have a plan to put the old one in more securely for the trip. I really don't need it, and I covered up the new seats with plastic.

Shall I simply forego the windshield entirely? Or?
TIA
Pat

Click to view attachment
Bagpype
Why move the old bad glass when you can just toss it? I don’t trust blue tape enough to hold that glass in over a bumpy road. I’d forego it completely.
brant
The risk of it coming out…. Even killing someone..
pek771
I realized that this may be one of the dumber things I have ever considered-towing with the broken glass in. I took it out.
PanelBilly
I’d use some good duct tape. It will leave some glue to. Lean up when you pull it off but if it works for NASCAR it should work for freeway speeds
Root_Werks
Good choice, would have left the old glass behind as well.

Flat tow or trailer tow?

I flat towed my 914 home after paint. Only 50+/- miles and two ferry rides. Not nearly the journey you're taking.
burton73
Eric picked up my blue car and took it to salt lake city (668 miles) and the rear trunk lid was not attached because I could not find the hinges. He wrapped it with standard pallet wrap and everything got there just fine my thinking is you're taped up you can wrap up the car pallet wrap I don't think anything is going anywhere when you get to where you're going just cut it loose.

Just a thought

Bob B
Click to view attachment
mlindner
I've done that and it work well. I would just run a couple of runs of duck tape around the windshield and through the inside of the car. lot stronger than painter tape.
mepstein
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jan 5 2023, 06:21 AM) *

I've done that and it work well. I would just run a couple of runs of duck tape around the windshield and through the inside of the car. lot stronger than painter tape.

agree.gif With the duck tape or pallet wrap. Either one is a lot better than painters tape if you want to keep the old glass on the car for water protection.
pek771
I simply took out the windshield. It was barely in there anyway.
I remember why I put it in, cracked as it was...I had to weight the car. I wanted everything to be where it should be.
Car weighs 2100 lb. with the motor and batteries.
I hate to put duct tape on new paint.
sixaddict
Two points
Wind is going to beat interior to death…… plus be sure to tie down anything that could flap outside and damage new paint. Frankly I would not do it without wi dshield.
(Ask how I know) very expensive lesson
Also duct tape on new paint is bad …
Personally I would use windshield duct taped in but if no side glass it presents problem as that’s
If you go without windshield buckle seat belts into receivers.
mlindner
cover the new paint and any plastic or rubber with the painter tape to protect, put the duck tape over as mepstein said using pallet rap.
Drex
i see the tie down straps go through the wheels
will the straps rub/damage the wheels at all?

thanks

Drex
mepstein
I’ve towed a lot of vehicles. Buy 4 of these. Put them through the wheels, a-arms, etc. they are worth buying. The cover will protect your wheels and make the whole process easier. If the wheels have a really nice finish, use the a-arms and rear trailing arms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.