Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got car back.. clutch replaced - Relearn to drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
I got my 914 back from the guy today. Bought pelicans full kit minus flywheel.

300 to replace the clutch plus 65 to machine the flywheel. I couldn’t even drive the son of a bitch because I'm not used to it. That and/or the clutch pedal now is resting about an inch and a half from full top where it was and the release point is ON the floor. Think I'll have him readjust that. I can't leave a stop without nearly stalling it or leaving rubber

Clutch pedal is also softer... strange or just feels that way because too much play in the pedal's initial travel?

easy to adjust or have them do it.. also he said a plastic cup on the shifter was broken? Shifts fine though? what cup? held in with a allen head?

Nic
redshift
Clutch pedal should have a fingertip of free-play, then it should start taking up, and by the time it's 3/4 depressed, you should be all out.

You need to just change all the bushings, if the others are unknown... get a kit, and do it all.

M
SGB
if the clutch cable nut on the threaded end up at the pedal (in the tunnel- on a little pivoting arm) wasn't tightened down almost as far as it would go, then the end at the clutch won't tighten down far enough to pull the clutch pedal all the way up.
bd1308
mine did the exact same thing...i had to put a couple of nuts behind the clutch cable where it attaches to the throw-out fork....two or something.
Eric Taylor
When I did my clutch I had the same problem. I would almost bet that your clutch is properly adjusted in the back of the car, but the front is way out. You need to adjust the forward adjustment on the cable, the one that connects to the pedal cluster, this is the one that adjust's the actual feel of the pedal. The rear adjustment is just to make sure the clutch fully engages and disengages, and really has little effect on the pedal. You'll get it smile.gif.
Eric
TravisNeff
Your clutch should have about 1/2 inch of freeplay, meaning you PULL the clutch pedal towards you - that is where that 1/2 inch should be. Sounds like it was adjusted a little too tight?
snflupigus
I can pull it about an inch or a little more toward me... and it has more than a fingertips worth of free travel...

i guess i should do this vs taking it back to the shop... it could take many times for them to get it right for me... but if i do that myself... i know it will take once smile.gif

and for 300 who is complaining, right?

Thanks guys... I'll check it out this weekend. Front adjustment that is... bushings? or whatever it is, he ordered and I'll pick it up from him soon to see exactly what it was.

snflupigus
Been driving the car for a bit now... seems either i have successfully relearned how to drive it or the catch point has opened up a bit and the clutch will actually slip a bit when leaving from a stop vs being pretty much either engaged or disengaged. Loving it, shifting from 2-3 I feel it pull nice and hard as it puts the engine back in the power range sweet spot. Love the car again. Definately glad that i went with the full pelican kit too as it had everything i needed except a new "link ball cup" for the linkage which was deteriorated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.