Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust....replace or treat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RKramden
I have been trolling around for a few years getting lots of insight for my '74 Outlaw-ish build. Thank you all.
I Could use some advice on rust at the gas pedal support under the car. The floor pan was rusty (see pic) but had no holes so I used Corotech Rust Arrestor and have applied 1 of two coats of Eastwood Encapsulator. The support under the car creates a hollow space which is showing rust leaching from the sides of the support. I think I have two options and would like some thoughts on them and any others you could think of.
1. Remove the old support, treat the bottom of the pan and install a new one. My biggest issue with this is that it couldn't be in a worse location (working with jacks and stands)
2. Drill some holes in the sides of the support and use the interior frame encapsulator, treat the outsided and hope for the best.
Thanks for any input you may have
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
930cabman
How much section loss has occurred? It looks minimal
brant
I always drill a drain hole in that pedal depression area....
wet shoes always leave a small puddle in that area.
you can pour a couple of ounces of water in the area and see right where the drain needs to be.
rjames
Doesn't look too bad. Best plan is always to try and remove all of the rust to see how bad or good things really are before painting over it. Hopefully you did that before using the 'encapsulator' proroduct. Definitely do that before treating the underside.

If not opening up the inner cavity (I wouldn't unless you find holes after grinding the rust away) I'd do as Brant suggested and then spray some Ospho in there.
RKramden
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 6 2023, 12:16 PM) *

How much section loss has occurred? It looks minimal

Pan was not flaking and did not punch through when stabbing it with a screwdriver.
RKramden
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 6 2023, 12:50 PM) *

Doesn't look too bad. Best plan is always to try and remove all of the rust to see how bad or good things really are before painting over it. Hopefully you did that before using the 'encapsulator' proroduct. Definitely do that before treating the underside.

If not opening up the inner cavity (I wouldn't unless you find holes after grinding the rust away) I'd do as Brant suggested and then spray some Ospho in there.

I removed all loose rust with a wire brush on a grinder which did not uncover any holes, then used the rust arrestor. After rinsing off with Water and Baking Soda so stop the Phosphoric Acid reaction. I sprayed with the encapsulator for a little extra protection.
I think I will try to clean out the cavity underneath the best I can then hit it with the interior frame encapsulator.
porschetub
QUOTE(RKramden @ Jan 7 2023, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 6 2023, 12:50 PM) *

I removed all loose rust with a wire brush on a grinder which did not uncover any holes, then used the rust arrestor. After rinsing off with Water and Baking Soda so stop the Phosphoric Acid reaction. I sprayed with the encapsulator for a little extra protection.
I think I will try to clean out the cavity underneath the best I can then hit it with the interior frame encapsulator.

Mine was the same with only minor pitting PO had treated it with red oxide zinc primer,because of this primer I used POR 15 silver over top and it came out great...and still is after 4yrs,you have done the right thing ,cheers.
Geezer914
Remove the rust with Ospro, and fill the pin holes with JB Weld. then coat with rust encapsulator and POR 15
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jan 8 2023, 02:31 PM) *

Remove the rust with Ospro, and fill the pin holes with JB Weld. then coat with rust encapsulator and POR 15

agree.gif

Ospho is the brand. Used it a number of times, works very well.
930cabman
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 8 2023, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jan 8 2023, 02:31 PM) *

agree.gif

Ospho is the brand. Used it a number of times, works very well.

Yes, but must rinse thoroughly prior to coating with primer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.