Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil in a 914 with LSD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pat4
Here is my big dilemna...

Do we have to use regular gear lube or specific in a trans with limited slip differential ? I have read many and many things...
Some said that synthetic 75W90 is good, others said 75W90 with LS code only (friction additive), others said 75W140. I also read that MoS2 additive is not good for LSD but I read on Swepco website that Swepco 203 WITH Mos2 is LSD certified ...

Any advice welcome !
ArtechnikA
my advice is to contact Paul Guard: gears@gte.net

Guard Transmissions makes both Gleason-style torque-biasing (TorSen) diffs and ZF-style clutchpack diffs. he's clued into what lubricants are available and working now. GT advertises in Panorama, Excellence, 911 & Porsche, and others...

when you find out what Paul recommends, pls report back here, because i'm curious about this very thing too.
Mark Henry
The Bradster said that the synthetic was not good in our gearboxes and I tend to agree with him.

I like the Swepco 203...and it's a dino.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Aug 10 2005, 07:38 AM)
I like the Swepco 203...and it's a dino.

i run it in my Type 911/01 box, and i'll probably run it in the 915/67.
but those are open diff cars.

i wouldn't use a moly-disulphide oil in a ZF-type clutchpack LSD unless i got a go-ahead from Paul Guard.

clutchpack diffs work on friction. MoS2 reduces friction...
RON S.
I've recently gotten my 6'r project running,

And since I needed to fill the 915 trans with oil,I went to my local P-car mech's.Autometrics Motorsports
and Asked if they'd get me a gallon of Swepco.

I had bought a Guard LSD unit for the trans from them,and was suprised when the mechanic told me that they do not run any Swepco oil in their race car gearboxes. huh.gif

He politely told me that the stuff was a good product,but they always run Mobil 1 synthetic,cause it's virtually the same stuff,but at half the cost.He told me to go to the local auto parts store and just read the labels.

Sure enough,every synthetic gear lube,Mobil,Valvoline,Castrol,etc. Said their products were approved for LSD units. wink.gif

@$8.00 a quart,and 3 quarts needed,I didn't need any convincing,since the last time I checked,the Swepco was about $40.00 a gallon plus shipping costs.

Ron
KenH
From Jerry Woods - Swepco 201.

Ken
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (RON S. @ Aug 10 2005, 09:03 AM)
...the last time I checked,the Swepco was about $40.00 a gallon plus shipping costs.

have you priced pinion bearing replacement ?

synthetics in G-50's, Swepco in anything older.
hear me now, believe me later ...

(race car guys tear down transmissions frequently and budget replacement parts as needed in the name of a competitive edge...)
Sure enough,every synthetic gear lube,Mobil,Valvoline,Castrol,etc. Said their products were approved for LSD units
i don't think anything you find on the shelf at the FLAPS is going to be a MoS2-supplement oil, and the question was specifically about running Swepco 203 (a MoS2 friction-reducing additive) in a clutchpack diff.

i have yet to hear anyone recommend a friction-reducing additive for a ZF diff...
Matt Monson
At carquip, we recommend the Swepco 201 with every gearbox we rebuild, LSD or not. Or the Swepco 203 only for non-ZF gearboxes if they want the added protection. But the 203 is too slippery for the ZF diffs...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Matt Monson @ Aug 10 2005, 01:05 PM)
We recommend the Swepco with every gearbox we rebuild, LSD or not.

yes, but do you recommend 203 for ZF diffs?
again - that was the original question...

(BTW - the 915 arrived moments ago. nice crate! no observed damage. i'll hafta wait until tomorrow to open it up for an internal inspection...)

oh - and welcome to the 914Club !

{saw your edit that answered that question ...}
Matt Monson
yeah,
I re-read the thread after I posted, and realized I hadn't really answered the question on the table..
pat4
A lot of point of views unsure.gif

I have the answer for MoS2 : not recommended for LSD trans. There is consensus, OK many thanks

So Swepco 2001 appears to be a good solution : LSD certified AND well known for many other qualities.

But Swepco products are not available in France sad.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (pat4 @ Aug 10 2005, 04:11 PM)
But Swepco products are not available in France

are you sure?

they have a factory warehouse in Belgium...

Swepco Field Service Reps
Cap'n Krusty
NO MOSO2 in ANY tranny with the earlier "Porsche Style" synchros. Ever. Period. The Cap'n
Matt Monson
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 10 2005, 12:45 PM)
NO MOSO2 in ANY tranny with the earlier "Porsche Style" synchros. Ever. Period. The Cap'n

Can you explain the reasoning behind this?
356&912E&9146
Duane Spencer and Vic Skirmants both recommend SWEPCO moly lubes (203 90wt and 212 90-140wt) for 356 trans used for racing.

I've got each in use in the 356, 9146 & 912E.

Ron
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (356&912E&9146 @ Aug 11 2005, 12:04 PM)
Duane Spencer and Vic Skirmants both recommend SWEPCO moly lubes ... for 356 trans used for racing.

racers accept accellerated synchro and dog-ring (replacement parts) in exchange for the performance advantage and possible wear reduction of the tooth contact surfaces.

it's a tradeoff. i use 203 in my 911's box, because the synchros and dog teeth are already dead, and i definitely pay the price in clashing if i get sloppy with my shifting.

now that i've paid a big pile of cash for a nearly new 915, it'll be back to 201 for me...

Porsche synchros (i.e. - those used after 1952 and before the G-50) NEED friction to work. they're little conical brake bands and they use friction to spin up the hub. without the base level friction they were designed for, they can't work right.
pat4
Here is the answer Paul Guard gave me some minutes ago :

Hi Philippe

I do not remember the various European transmission oils that top the list
(Shell, BP, etc). Just use a top quality organic (NOT synthetic) oil,
75/90, 80/90, 85/90, 90 weights are all fine. I do not know which European
oils have LSD friction modifier (or do not need friction modifier). I would
just ask around in your own neighborhood. Shell Spirax rings a bell ---

Good luck, Paul
Matt Monson
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 11 2005, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (356&912E&9146 @ Aug 11 2005, 12:04 PM)
Duane Spencer and Vic Skirmants both recommend SWEPCO moly lubes ... for 356 trans used for racing.

racers accept accellerated synchro and dog-ring (replacement parts) in exchange for the performance advantage and possible wear reduction of the tooth contact surfaces.

it's a tradeoff. i use 203 in my 911's box, because the synchros and dog teeth are already dead, and i definitely pay the price in clashing if i get sloppy with my shifting.

now that i've paid a big pile of cash for a nearly new 915, it'll be back to 201 for me...

Porsche synchros (i.e. - those used after 1952 and before the G-50) NEED friction to work. they're little conical brake bands and they use friction to spin up the hub. without the base level friction they were designed for, they can't work right.

These are very good points. The one thing I would add is that a lubrication like the 203 is going to favour the bearings over the synchros. As you mentioned it's a tradeoff.

If your synchros are getting tired and you want to squeeze a little extra life out of the tranny before a rebuild, put in some 203. It will prolong the life of the bearings.

Of our customers, the only people that put 203 in a new gearbox are racers. Otherwise for a fresh street box, 201 is the proper choice...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.