Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I Remove/install of Cylinder head temp sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AzGuy238
I recently purchased a Cyl head Temp sender extension from Brad Mauer....and a new sender. Working room is very tight in that area. I'm thinking of using a 13mm semi deep socket and maybe vice grips .....Has anyone got a better idea. Do I need to remove the Fuel Injection rails first? Thanks
brant
Get a cheep 3 inch socket extension
Dremel off one of the 4 corners on the square drive end
Make the cut a small valley that will be large enough to hold the sender wire

Put the deep socket on
Then install the extension while guiding the wire into the cut

Geezer914
Spray the sensor with PB Blaster and let it sit over night. You have aluminum threads in an aluminum head. You don't want the sensor snapping off leaving the threads! Ask me how I know. I had to carefully drill and tap out the head and make an insert to fit the new sensor.
bzettner
Click to view attachment

My variation to the solution. I did not want to destroy one of my Snap On sockets (and didn't want to go buy a cheap one confused24.gif )

This came with some HF mega set of driver "tips". Works great with a 1/4" socket to drive it.
piratenanner.gif
Lockwodo
A related question: After the CHT sender is in place, is there a grommet or rubber plug that is supposed to close off the hole in the engine tin to prevent cooling air from escaping? My car is a '74 2.0.
brant
QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Jan 12 2023, 02:49 PM) *

A related question: After the CHT sender is in place, is there a grommet or rubber plug that is supposed to close off the hole in the engine tin to prevent cooling air from escaping? My car is a '74 2.0.

yep... rubber grommet with a hole for the wire.
brant
QUOTE(bzettner @ Jan 12 2023, 02:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

My variation to the solution. I did not want to destroy one of my Snap On sockets (and didn't want to go buy a cheap one confused24.gif )

This came with some HF mega set of driver "tips". Works great with a 1/4" socket to drive it.
piratenanner.gif

thats a beauty!

I bought an extension from the FLAPS for around 3 dollars...
carry it in the car with spare senders on road trips.
AzGuy238
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 12 2023, 04:20 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

thats a beauty!

Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions. Wayne
AzGuy238
QUOTE(AzGuy238 @ Jan 13 2023, 08:02 AM) *

piratenanner.gif

thats a beauty!

So to follow up: I followed the example provided by @bzettner and it worked great (btw, I used a "wobbly" 3" extension and it gave a little more room to work). OK, got the old sender out just fine....but how do you get the new one back in? For about two weeks of frustration and trying every possible tool I owned I was ready to start taking the engine out of the car! Then I happened to harken back to the old days when I had Sunbeam
Tigers....and the way weird way I had to install the rear spark plugs thru a hole in the firewall under the dash....with a piece of gargen hose! Yes, Yes, a hose. So I took a scrap piece of about 1/2" to 5/8" Inside diameter heater hose...cut it to about 5" in length, pushed the sender into one end and VOILA! got it screwed in the first time. All is well again in my 914 World!
AzGuy238
QUOTE(AzGuy238 @ Jan 29 2023, 11:54 AM) *

QUOTE(AzGuy238 @ Jan 13 2023, 08:02 AM) *

piratenanner.gif

thats a beauty!

So to follow up: I followed the example provided by @bzettner and it worked great (btw, I used a "wobbly" 3" extension and it gave a little more room to work). OK, got the old sender out just fine....but how do you get the new one back in? For about two weeks of frustration and trying every possible tool I owned I was ready to start taking the engine out of the car! Then I happened to harken back to the old days when I had Sunbeam
Tigers....and the way weird way I had to install the rear spark plugs thru a hole in the firewall under the dash....with a piece of gargen hose! Yes, Yes, a hose. So I took a scrap piece of about 1/2" to 5/8" Inside diameter heater hose...cut it to about 5" in length, pushed the sender into one end and VOILA! got it screwed in the first time. All is well again in my 914 World!

Hope this helps someone else with a bad CHTS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.