Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrod tube Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nivekdodge
Like Bob Krantz, Powerplant in ....Powerplant out.Cha-Cha. I'm waiting for tranny parts and replaced the one pushrod seal that was leaking. The motor still has oil in it. Can i tilt it 10 degrees or so overnight to check for a leak?

Kevin
nathanxnathan
The motor will more likely leak when it's hot and running. The oil is thinner at temperature and quite a lot of oil goes from the head to the sump via the pushrod tubes. To check it when it's cold and not running isn't going to show you very much. ...if I am understanding what it is you're asking. With the trouble to remove rockers etc, I would opt to redo all the pushrod tube seals at once.
Mikey914
Won't be able to really check until it's running, but you will feel a positive engagement and DO -make sure you get the spring back in correctly. It's way softer than the push rods and will cut into them. So make sure it's not touching.
bkrantz
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jan 12 2023, 05:39 PM) *

Like Bob Krantz, Powerplant in ....Powerplant out.Cha-Cha. I'm waiting for tranny parts and replaced the one pushrod seal that was leaking. The motor still has oil in it. Can i tilt it 10 degrees or so overnight to check for a leak?

Kevin

Hey, I didn't mean to start a trend.
nivekdodge
Thanks guys,
Motor was just rebuilt and I know which one is leaking. Bob, I guess you really are my mentor!

Kevin
930cabman
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Jan 12 2023, 09:00 PM) *

The motor will more likely leak when it's hot and running. The oil is thinner at temperature and quite a lot of oil goes from the head to the sump via the pushrod tubes. To check it when it's cold and not running isn't going to show you very much. ...if I am understanding what it is you're asking. With the trouble to remove rockers etc, I would opt to redo all the pushrod tube seals at once.

agree.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jan 12 2023, 11:27 PM) *

Thanks guys,
Motor was just rebuilt and I know which one is leaking. Bob, I guess you really are my mentor!

Kevin

You can remove and replace the seals with the motor in the car.
930cabman
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 14 2023, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jan 12 2023, 11:27 PM) *

Thanks guys,

Kevin

You can remove and replace the seals with the motor in the car.

I recently did this and as I recall cylinders #1 or #2 were difficult
r_towle
You do not need to remove the tube from the engine to simply replace the seal. If you must remove the whole tube for replacement, you sadly will need to drop the engine.
Otherwise, remove rockers, pull tube and pushrod out far enough to replace seal, then install again.

Rich
nivekdodge
I haven't tried this a second time but I am going to over the winter. I've red about polishing the mating surfaces and plan on that.

Bob
Are yours still dry?

Kevin
bkrantz
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Nov 17 2023, 06:00 PM) *

I haven't tried this a second time but I am going to over the winter. I've red about polishing the mating surfaces and plan on that.

Bob
Are yours still dry?

Kevin

Yes--so far. But I hate to claim final victory.
nivekdodge
Superstitious like that huh?
Jack Standz
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 15 2023, 08:11 AM) *

You do not need to remove the tube from the engine to simply replace the seal. If you must remove the whole tube for replacement, you sadly will need to drop the engine.
Otherwise, remove rockers, pull tube and pushrod out far enough to replace seal, then install again.

Rich

Not sure what you meant to say, but you do not need to remove the engine to replace the pushrod tubes or seals.

rjames
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Nov 17 2023, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 15 2023, 08:11 AM) *

Rich

Not sure what you meant to say, but you do not need to remove the engine to replace the pushrod tubes or seals.

agree.gif

It’s not fun with the engine in the car, but it’s doable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.