Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter console leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I have a side shifter that leaks at the console.
I cold drip every hour…

I bought the transmission gasket set from pelican
There is nothing in the set for the shifter console….nada

I removed the console
It looks like there is a bushing at the bottom.

Does anyone have a clue on part numbers to order to rebuild the shifter console?
It’s a 75/76 if that matters.

Rich
Montreal914
Here is an exploded view of the assembly (found on Patrick Motorsport website).

Click to view attachment

#20 is the o-ring that seals the console to the gearbox housing and #15 edit #12 is a lip seal that seals the shaft to the console. To replace the lip seal, you need to remove pin #16 or 19 to be able to pull out the shaft from the console assembly.

AFAIK, there is no difference in any side shifter gearbox years.

Good luck with your repair! smash.gif
r_towle
Thank you!

While I am there….
Do you think 11,12 contribute to leaks?

The main leak, after wiping it all down and waiting, was right off the shaft.
I believe I have the correct o-ring in the gasket set
I had to order the paper housing gasket separately.

Montreal914
Sorry, I made a mistake!!!

You are correct, #12 is the lip seal. #11 is the bronze bushing. If the bushing is worn out, then there will be play in the shaft that could induce a leak via the lip seal.
r_towle
I will take it apart and see what I need.
It’s why I took it out.

I was hoping to easily find the parts, but I may need to look harder.

930cabman
Having the same issue and dis assembled it today. From the diagram item #'s 12 and 20 seem to be the only places where sha can leak. The shaft #13 on mine was rusted where the seal #12 rides. It appears I can clean things up with some fine sandpaper and go. Best of luck with your repair, is the trans still in the car
r_towle
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 14 2023, 07:09 PM) *

Having the same issue and dis assembled it today. From the diagram item #'s 12 and 20 seem to be the only places where sha can leak. The shaft #13 on mine was rusted where the seal #12 rides. It appears I can clean things up with some fine sandpaper and go. Best of luck with your repair, is the trans still in the car

Yes, trans is in the car.

I will disassemble and see what is wrong.
I have other if I need them, but I will try to fix this one.

Rich
930cabman
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 14 2023, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 14 2023, 07:09 PM) *

Yes, trans is in the car.

I will disassemble and see what is wrong.
I have other if I need them, but I will try to fix this one.

Rich

Take your time when removing cover #10, the shaft #13 may (probably) will come with it and the selector fork? is attached to it. Might be tricky getting things back together.
Dave_Darling
May? It will; it comes out as a unit. The rake has a roll pin that retains it on the shaft, just like the ball has a roll pin that retains it.

Put the box in neutral, remove the two retaining nuts, then rotate the assembly around 37 different orientations (it seems to help if you swear under your breath) to get it out of the case. Then put it on the bench, drive out one of the roll pins, slide the shaft out, and replace the bushing and seal.

Assembly is the reverse, but it takes longer to figure out how to get the thing back into place correctly. Louder swearing is probably called for.

--DD
r_towle
Btdt, no swearing required when in neutral.
Got it soaking, it was a caked on mess of grease.

I will pull it apart later and take a picture of all the pieces.

I may have gotten the seal with the gasket kit….not sure
If yes, I’m confused why the would leave out the paper gasket.

Btw, if you do this, just look inside and gently use a flat screw driver to line up all the shift fork slots.
That is neutral
Dave_Darling
There's just the slightest possibility I was exaggerating.

A touch.

But I did find that I had to move the whole side-shift assembly around to odd angles to get it out of the gearbox. And to get it back in again. The rake gets in the way of various things, including the side of the hole you're pulling it out through.

--DD
930cabman
Yes, the shaft #13 with rake attached did come out of the housing. My plan is to clean up the shaft, install a new seal and get it back together. Fitting the rake might be a challenge.
Dr Evil
Do not use the paper gasket under the console. That is a part for the tail shift only and goes on the side plug which does not use the O ring. Note in the above diagram the missing gasket, because its not used and using it can cause issues. Just change the O ring and seal on the lower shaft and you are good to go.
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 17 2023, 09:19 PM) *

Do not use the paper gasket under the console. That is a part for the tail shift only and goes on the side plug which does not use the O ring. Note in the above diagram the missing gasket, because its not used and using it can cause issues. Just change the O ring and seal on the lower shaft and you are good to go.

Cool.

Explains why it was not in the gasket kit!
r_towle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 17 2023, 06:06 PM) *

There's just the slightest possibility I was exaggerating.

A touch.

But I did find that I had to move the whole side-shift assembly around to odd angles to get it out of the gearbox. And to get it back in again. The rake gets in the way of various things, including the side of the hole you're pulling it out through.

--DD

Ok yes,

Lots of gentle wiggling.
The teeth come out one at a time…I think the overall diameter is larger then the hole….so wiggling involved.
930cabman
How did you remove the small oil seal from it's housing? Haynes mentions "prying" but I have had no luck with moderate prying.
thanks
Chaznaster
Maybe use a seal puller? Runs less risk of damaging anything.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
If it’s the rubber seal I think it is from the kit….use that tool above, or a dull flat screw driver.
Don’t touch the housing and scratch it…it will leak.

I will take some picks tomorrow when I take it apart.
Had to much going on today.
Rich
914werke
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Jan 18 2023, 05:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif Only way! just be careful
Mikey914
Got what you need

https://914rubber.com/shift-rod-seal-for-transmission
930cabman
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Jan 18 2023, 08:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Great idea, but waay to big. It's possible there is a tiny version out there. I may heat the aluminum housing slightly. "Gentle prying" with a screwdriver doesn't move it
r_towle
Ok, it is wicked cold and raw here.
I really need a huge shop heater….but the construction kerosene heater makes it tolerable.

Of course the part in question has been in the parts cleaner soaking….so it is at 30 degrees to touch..awesome times.

I learned two things.
The o-ring around the housing was torn and mutilated.
The shaft seal was 47 years old and no longer up to the task.

I’m not convinced the “transmission gasket kit” has the right o-ring diameter, so I will do some deeper research on that. Not sure where yet.

To pull the shaft seal I used a combination of a few steps.
1: tear out the rubber seal
2: take an old wood chisel and carefully put a cut in the metal top lip of the seal, without touching the housing
3: prying at that point still did nothing
4: map gas torch, heated up (it will catch on fire, there is still rubber and grease…be prepared
5: pry after heat and it popped out (after I put out the fires…. Nothing major)

r_towle
These
Montreal914
Perfect opportunity to convert the shifter console to a double supported bushing and U-joint linkage! smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 22 2023, 02:43 PM) *

Perfect opportunity to convert the shifter console to a double supported bushing and U-joint linkage! smile.gif

Nah, it’s a street car.
When I have done this before, replacing the loose shifter console bushing with a bronze or brass on with much higher tolerances, along with the two cup bushings, seems to do the trick
930cabman
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 22 2023, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 22 2023, 02:43 PM) *

Nah, it’s a street car.
When I have done this before, replacing the loose shifter console bushing with a bronze or brass on with much higher tolerances, along with the two cup bushings, seems to do the trick

Victory, even in the freezing cold. The O ring was probably part of the leakage, what is the condition shaft where the seal rides?
r_towle
Very slight side to side wiggle…
Not enough to concern me.

The o-ring was crushed and damaged….so that did not help with the issue.
It also had some classic yellow “used part” markings on it.

Rich
930cabman
"Crushed and damaged" O ring would indicate to me it was not installed properly. Do you suspect it was also leaking from the seal?
r_towle
It was certainly leaking from the housing due to the o-ring
The drip was always coming from the tip of the shaft….so that seal was certainly done too.

What I can’t believe is the tiny diameter of the o-ring versus the wide slot in the housing…

Does anyone know the specs of the oem o-ring?
r_towle
Drove up to my local dealer.
Pet2 lists the o-ring as
40mm x 1.5 mm

I’m not convinced that is right (superseded part??)

I will post some pics to show what I mean
r_towle
measured the housing groove, its 2.25mm
measure the o-ring...its 1.25 mm

I just don't want this to leak again...
930cabman
I was at my local bearing house today and picked up a couple new seals and a couple new O rings. I may add a small radius on the trans housing for the O ring to "ease" into it's home.

Mine was leaking at the seal, it sounds as yours was leaking at the O ring. Either way it's a leak

I haven't looked too far but is the paper gasket readily available? if not it will not be too difficult to fabricate
r_towle
There is no paper gasket in any diagram I have seen
930cabman
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 24 2023, 07:31 PM) *

There is no paper gasket in any diagram I have seen

Mine has some residue on the surface where a gasket could be, on second thought it's probably crap or some degradation of the metals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.