Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914- 6 conversion electrical question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Looking for some insight about hooking up the alternator to the relay board. See the pictures. Cleaning up electrical from the previous owner. I want to be sure it’s all copacetic. I’m quite tentative to put things back as I found them since a lot of the electrical and mechanical systems for in disrepair when I bought it.

1. 1976 3.0 euro Carrera Engine ready to go back in after the rebuild- Bruce Abbott did the important inside, and I did the outside!
2. I replaced most of the harness and a lot of the ancillary wiring in the engine bay. New alternator.

Can the blue alternator wire just plug into that spot identified on the board? That’s where it was located.

Thanks. drunk.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
There should be a blue, black, and brown plug on the harness that is meant to plug right into a regulator Click to view attachment
mb911
I should note that I do not use the relay board though
Cairo94507
Hi Todd- Your engine is looking great. Here is a picture of my relay board; I hope it helps. Ignore the small square item with the 2 blue spots-that is a hi-mount 3rd brake flasher that I have since turned off and will be removing soon. Nothing else is on my relay board except the cover that is not shown.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
roundtwo
Thank you, gentlemen for helping follow the popcorn trail…
My board pictured is complete minus the engine harness of course. I built the engine wiring harness based on the previous owners example.
It seamed to function fine for the half hour that the engine actually ran. All the electronics on the car seem to function correctly, power to headlights, cabin instruments, spark, etc…

Oh, using Protonix ignition- might be a useful fact - mounted in trunk with thin rubber shims under the base.

I don’t know enough to know why the blue wire is connected to that tab.

Trying to fact check aktion035.gif screwy.gif
Click to view attachment
Luke M
Is your alt internal or external regulated?

I removed the relay board when I wired my brothers 3.0 conv. which has a internal regulator alt. There's no need for the relay board if you have an internal reg.
I also wired in a new fuel pump relay in the front trunk by the fuel pump.

I used an engine wire harness kit that Perry sells (or use too).

You'll have to play around with the pin configuration but that's not too bad to do.

Cairo94507
Boy, that sure makes access to the oil filter easier. beerchug.gif
roundtwo
Yeah, look at all that space!!!
I like the semi translucent wiring jacket.

This is all I know about the Alternator- I imagine it has a built-in regulator. Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(roundtwo @ Jan 15 2023, 08:28 PM) *

Looking for some insight about hooking up the alternator to the relay board. See the pictures. Cleaning up electrical from the previous owner. I want to be sure it’s all copacetic. I’m quite tentative to put things back as I found them since a lot of the electrical and mechanical systems for in disrepair when I bought it.

1. 1976 3.0 euro Carrera Engine ready to go back in after the rebuild- Bruce Abbott did the important inside, and I did the outside!
2. I replaced most of the harness and a lot of the ancillary wiring in the engine bay. New alternator.

Can the blue alternator wire just plug into that spot identified on the board? That’s where it was located.

Thanks. drunk.gif
Is it one of Perrys looms ?,looks like the quality he builds .
I would say you have an intergrated VR with your altenator ? you should have no issue running the blue wire as per your pic and long as the altenator still has excitation ,could be wired that way due to a dead spot in the relay board I had a similar issue with my old relay board and had no power @ the fuel pump feed.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.