Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat forward/aft adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
uncle914
Was helping a friend with his 1971 and his driver's seat is stuck in the furthest aft position, also the adjuster handle has snapped off. We still seem to be able to operate the adjuster handle with a finger but the seat will not slide forward given the limited amount of force we can apply to the back of the seat. The up and down lever works as it should. Any helpful hints? I was thinking we may use a padded 2x4 or similar lever with the rear door jam as the fulcrum and carefully try to push the seat forward.
Lockwodo
I wouldn't force it. You should be able to unbolt the lower track from the floor and remove the seat with upper and lower tracks attached. You'll be able to see why it is jammed.
Cairo94507
How long has the seat been in that position? If it's been a lonnnnggggg time, it may be rusted/crudded in place. Try spraying with your favorite lubricant and let it sit over night. Also, pull out the seat bottom and pull it forward from the seat bottom as your friend lifts on the release lever. Check with a flashlight under the seat to confirm the lever is actually raising up out of the track and no other obstructions are present. beerchug.gif
uncle914
QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Jan 15 2023, 09:24 AM) *

I wouldn't force it. You should be able to unbolt the lower track from the floor and remove the seat with upper and lower tracks attached. You'll be able to see why it is jammed.

I can only see the allen bolts that hold the seat bottom to the track. I haven't pulled my seats in a while on my own car and i seem to remember that I could get to the front mounting bolts for the lower track to pan was accessible with seat all the way back but seat had to be moved forward to access the rear mounting bolts.
uncle914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 15 2023, 09:49 AM) *

How long has the seat been in that position? If it's been a lonnnnggggg time, it may be rusted/crudded in place. Try spraying with your favorite lubricant and let it sit over night. Also, pull out the seat bottom and pull it forward from the seat bottom as your friend lifts on the release lever. Check with a flashlight under the seat to confirm the lever is actually raising up out of the track and no other obstructions are present. beerchug.gif

Not long. He just bought the car recently and someone slid the seat all the way back. Now we are having a problem sliding it forward again.
bbrock
I would first confirm that pulling up on the adjuster handle stub is actually disengaging the adjustment lock. Pulling up on the handle lifts a pin out of the track to allow the seat to slide. It is close to midway on the seat and hard to see even with a flashlight. You might try sliding a long screw driver under the adjuster bar after pulling up with your fingers and then pry gently up to make sure the pin is fully disengaging.

If you are certain the adjustment pin is disengaging, you have soaked the track with lubricant as recommended before, and still can't budge the seat, then I'd try your 2x4 idea with an emphasis on "careful." Also, try rocking the seat side to side as you pull forward as much as you can. I've been able to walk a stubborn seat forward to clear where it is binding before. These have all been mentioned, but the things that could keep the seat from sliding are the adjustment pin, friction from lack of lubrication, gunk or rust. Unbolting the seat would be great, but as you already know, you can't access the rear bolts without sliding the seat forward so are kind of screwed.
Lockwodo
QUOTE(uncle914 @ Jan 15 2023, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Jan 15 2023, 09:24 AM) *

I can only see the allen bolts that hold the seat bottom to the track. I haven't pulled my seats in a while on my own car and i seem to remember that I could get to the front mounting bolts for the lower track to pan was accessible with seat all the way back but seat had to be moved forward to access the rear mounting bolts.

There should be two bolts at the front and rear of each bottom track, 8 bolts total you need to remove to lift the seat out. Then you can clean and lubricate the tracks see what is going on. And yes, the rear ones may be a challenge if the seat won't come forward. Useful links:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=231430&hl=
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=seat++removal
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=seat++removal
r_towle
if the up and down works...raise it up high.

the forward and aft adjuster is little teeth that flip down.
You can see them and flip them up with a flat screw driver and remove the seat....not easy...but you can do it.

There is also a spring that holds the rod with teeth and rotates that rod towards the middle to hold the teeth down.
if (a big if) you can find that spring and unhook it...the rod can simply be turned out of the way and the teeth will be disengaged.

There is also a rod going side to side that connects the two side rods so they move together when you use the adjuster lever.
Look for that rod and the geometry might make more sense that this thread.

Once removed..fix what is broken, there are plenty of parts for these floating around.

There is also a "final stop" flap that is inside the channel, not on the adjuster side.
It lays flat and catches one final stop so you cannot go to far when normally adjusting the seat.
that one is simple...once you hit it you are no longer going to engage the little teeth anymore...then you slide the screw driver in between the two runners, flat horizontal blade...and gently flip up what is basically spring steel to get over that last stopper...pull while you hold it up...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.