Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blower troubles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Supersax
Hi Guys, I cleaned my ground points and also sprayed electronic cleaner on the relay board(4 days) ago. Now the blower comes on really loud when I turn the key on. I pulled the blower relay out and it stopped but the car would not start with or without the relay. I did use dielectric grease on the relay posts and I spread them out a little with a knife blade to make good contact. What did I f&%# up!?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Supersax @ Jan 20 2023, 04:45 PM) *

Hi Guys, I cleaned my ground points and also sprayed electronic cleaner on the relay board(4 days) ago. Now the blower comes on really loud when I turn the key on. I pulled the blower relay out and it stopped but the car would not start with or without the relay. I did use dielectric grease on the relay posts and I spread them out a little with a knife blade to make good contact. What did I f&%# up!?

By blower you mean heater fan in the engine bay?

Probably not the current problem but lose the dielectric grease. Not good in any environment where it can attract dirt.

You know about the secret heater fan lever in the cabin right? The fan should always be on when the lever is pulled up. Lever down fan is off.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 20 2023, 07:53 PM) *

lose the dielectric grease. Not good in any environment where it can attract dirt.

agree.gif

Public service announcement.

Definition of dielectric: insulating; does NOT conduct electricity.

Really has no place in 12v automotive wiring. Want to use on high voltage spark plug wire terminals to help prevent condensation and arcing down wet wires? Sure - that is what it is intended for.

Sounds like you pulled the power supply relay - not the blower (heater fan) relay. Power relay feeds power to the fuel pump relay and the ECU.

Heater relay would not have any effect on starting the car unless something is massively miswired on your car.

Click to view attachment

Bench test the relay - may have gone bad. Old relays are notoriously fragile. The act of pulling it out of the relay board may have caused a connection inside the relay to break.

Pins 85 & 86 are the control solenoid ; apply 12v pin 85 and ground pin 86
Should hear and feel the relay click when the solenoid is powered.
pins 30 and 87 are the contacts; should measure zero ohms with solenoid powered.
krazykonrad
Jeff Bowlsby and Superhawk know what they are talking about. I, usually, do not. But I want to send you a welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.