Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS- 1974 914-V8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Pages: 1, 2
MM1
1974 Porsche 914-V8 for sale. It originally was L80E Ivory White.

Asking $14,500 OBO

Current odometer: 83,118+ (still driving it). True mileage unknown. I have driven it approximately 500+ miles since recommissioning/upgrading it.

Never wrecked (!)

Videos:

Porsche 914-V8 drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qrQEGfp0xk

Porsche_914-V8_walkaround

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8ZQxCaNUs

Porsche_914-V8_cold start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XFeT7puGDo

Porsche_914-V8_wheel trueness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQh6dP_UZjA

Porsche_914-V8_shifting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-LMYwZbfhk

1965 Chevrolet 283 c.i. V8 - 195-220 h.p., 285-295 lb./ft of torque, rams horn exhaust manifolds (no maintenance, allows for room to work), Edelbrock Performer intake manifold with Edelbrock 1406 (Holly 8867) 4-barrel carburetor

***Will idle for +30 minutes at rest with no issues.

Provenance: records and receipts dating back to 2002

BMW 320i front brakes with 19mm brake master cylinder

*New parts installed:

Uro 19mm brake master cylinder

PMB refurbished rear brake calipers

Porterfield R4-S brake pads (front and rear)

Passenger parking brake cable (Gemo)

parking brake cable grommets at caliper (both sides)

correct year new fuel tank (new fuel socks, copper gaskets, sending unit, gates green stripe and continental fuel hoses, fuel filters)

Moroso combination coolant expansion tank/overflow tank, mounted at the car's highest point in the engine bay

water inlets (engine block) re-sealed (Fel-Pro gaskets and Permatex thread sealant with activator)

Gates green stripe coolant hoses with stainless t-bar clamps, fittings

mishimoto billet aluminum bleeder fitting in engine compartment (can be lifted to highest position for bleeding)

bleeder valve for radiator in front

Davies-Craig electric water pump

new hei distributor cap, rotor, ignition module, wires, spark plugs with heat shields

chrome air cleaner with new filter

chrome valve covers and clamps with Fel-Pro 1628 silicone valve cover gaskets

mobil 1 oil change with wix filter

4 new (sticky) Falken Azenis 615K+ tires (205/50-15) with less than 500 miles of use.

numerous oem original used interior parts (A and B pillars, knee pad, door pulls etc.)

Momo steering wheel

Battery

shifter bushings

tailshifter firewall cover rubber bellows

Cleaned and repaired door handles

One Porsche key (red) works in all locks.

All driving lights/blinkers function.

Jack points are great.

Weltmeister short shift kit

new Renegade Hybrids front spoiler mounted

Currently registered in California with a clean title in my name.

Sounds great, steers straight and responsively, brakes great, starts and revs eagerly . . .great chassis and engine . . .I drove it 100 miles in the rain the other night with no issues (other than the driver's wiper calling it a day - grrr/lol)

Tailshifter - 1st gear is locked out, needs to be resealed. If I were keeping it I'd fit a cable shifter. Hard to get second when cold (and if it is in a bad mood). 4th will occasionally grind if rushed.

283 weeps slightly at oil adapter (new gasket should fix it), pan gasket weeps slightly

Paint is peeling and there are rust bubbles (see pics)

Driver wiper doesn't work.

Rear passenger triangle/false firewall rusted through, but has not affected the integrity of the longs or even the passenger rear "doughnut" (which can still be used to lift the car even though it is not a factory jackpoint).

Holley Inc. said it should have a 390cfm (2-barrel) but that won't fit easily . . .the currently installed Edelbrock (weber) 4 barrel = slight over carburation. Choke is disconnected.

Please note:

**** ATS wheels seen in the driving video are NOT included - 4 very straight and true OEM Pedrini rims are currently installed on the new Falken Azenis tires****

Some process pics below show old yellow spark plug wires, old hei distributor cap/vacuum advance etc. and old Odyssey PC1200 agm battery . . .all have been replaced.

PM if interested in making an offer . . .I have nearly 1500 photographs and a few videos of the recommissioning/re-engineering process.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
MM1
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=863
693]
MM1
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

***Current non-agm battery below***

Click to view attachment

This (below) is how the valvetrain looked when I pulled the old valvecovers off . . .this motor has been loved (and turned over when it was in limbo)!

*** old valve cover gaskets - un-cleaned - exactly as they were upon first removal

Click to view attachment
MM1
Renegade veteran guru suggested these holes be drilled in the thermostat. Thermostat was temperature tested:

New fuel tank installation:
Click to view attachment

Cable management
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

MM1
Rockers and jackpoints (further continued ):

Click to view attachment
MM1
Sorry-it was an extremely long day yesterday.

Dear Admins, can you please move this thread to the proper section (FS/Wanted 914 cars and rollers)?

Thank you!
willieg
Very nice job of documentation through pictures.
JeffBowlsby
@MM1

The 17916 VIN on this 1974 originally L80E car confirms that is not an LE, however,

PLEASE, swap that real LE front spoiler with an aftermarket unit and sell the real one to me or another LE owner. I have a Creamsicle that really needs an authentic LE spoiler. Your spoiler needs significant repair but it is salvageable and an LE owner would be pleased to have this.
Front yard mechanic
Nice car needs more console gauges tho slap.gif
MM1
QUOTE(willieg @ Jan 23 2023, 10:39 AM) *

Very nice job of documentation through pictures.

Thank you, Sir!
MM1
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 23 2023, 03:06 PM) *

@MM1

The 17916 VIN on this 1974 originally L80E car confirms that is not an LE, however,

PLEASE, swap that real LE front spoiler with an aftermarket unit and sell the real one to me or another LE owner. I have a Creamsicle that really needs an authentic LE spoiler. Your spoiler needs significant repair but it is salvageable and an LE owner would be pleased to have this.

Thank you, Jeff. Sorry all, I intended to write "L80E" and have just corrected the original post.

Is it really an actual LE spolier though? I thought it had to have some indications (semi-circular stamp-like marks? or something else) on the ends .

I would be happy to trade you (or any 914World 'Teeners) for an LE style (copy) spoiler as I feel the cooling system should have an airdam unlike the original 1.8/2.0L front valence.

MM1
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jan 23 2023, 08:23 PM) *

Nice car needs more console gauges tho slap.gif

I know, right?

more like this, perhaps? (knee pad texture almost matches at least . . .)

Click to view attachment

Robarabian
Ill add for any potential buyer:

I drove Marcus up to Nor Cal to buy this car and bring it back. From where he got it to where it is now is amazing. I helped Marcus rebuild the brakes and the shifter. He did ALOT of the heavy lifting on this car as it relates to all the systems. When the tank got done, we also did the fuel level sender.

It starts right up, sounds amazing and drives well. As cars go, the rust is really minimal and fixable without too much fanfare. It needs someone to love it and you could not build it for what it is for sale for. Just my .02 cents.
MM1
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Jan 23 2023, 10:00 PM) *

Ill add for any potential buyer:

I drove Marcus up to Nor Cal to buy this car and bring it back. From where he got it to where it is now is amazing. I helped Marcus rebuild the brakes and the shifter. He did ALOT of the heavy lifting on this car as it relates to all the systems. When the tank got done, we also did the fuel level sender.

It starts right up, sounds amazing and drives well. As cars go, the rust is really minimal and fixable without too much fanfare. It needs someone to love it and you could not build it for what it is for sale for. Just my .02 cents.

Thank you, Sir!

Full disclosure - counting today, I now owe Rob more steak dinners than I can count!

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(MM1 @ Jan 23 2023, 06:45 PM) *

@MM1

Thank you, Jeff. Sorry all, I intended to write "L80E" and have just corrected the original post.

Is it really an actual LE spolier though? I thought it had to have some indications (semi-circular stamp-like marks? or something else) on the ends .

I would be happy to trade you (or any 914World 'Teeners) for an LE style (copy) spoiler as I feel the cooling system should have an airdam unlike the original 1.8/2.0L front valence.

PM sent
MM1
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 24 2023, 12:14 AM) *

@MM1

PM sent

Got it, Jeff - I'll check the front spoiler tomorrow. Thank you for the lesson!
pete000
Rod Stimson build possibly?
budk
IF the air dam turns out to be an original LE one, I have this air dam available and would gladly work out a 3 way deal that gets your LE air dam in Jeff's hands.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Bud, thank you! Marcus's spoiler is the real deal, although it needs significant repair.

@MM1
MM1
Thank you Jeff and Bud.

After some pics and discussion, it's a real LE spoiler.

It was given to me by an extremely supportive friend and World 'Teener . . .I feel it only just that I return it to him.

Bud - someone is driving from a distance to look at my 914-V8 this afternoon . . .if he wants it quickly I may need to contact you about your front air dam.

flat4guy
What a cool car - unfortunately I am looking for one with 2 less cylinders. GLWS
MM1
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Jan 26 2023, 10:10 PM) *

What a cool car - unfortunately I am looking for one with 2 less cylinders. GLWS

Thank you, Sir - wish I could trade for a flat six! At this price point, a Subaru H-6 would be fine. . . I drove one once and was great.
MM1
Ok - my first (ever) posted youtube video is available - I added it to the original post, but here it is as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qrQEGfp0xk

Well, I learned how to edit a bit today . . .at least enough to (mostly) muffle the neighbor noise . . .

First 914World "embedment" - thank you, Mark!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97052
MM1
I mounted a new 914 Renegade front spoiler 2 days ago . . .it was modeled specifically for the Rod Simpson-style front bumper cut out and stylistaclly fits better than the LE spoiler . . .I suspect it channels air into the radiator better as well.

I had to take a quick pic between rain sessions, so there was no time to clean it before taking this pic, which has also been added to the end of the original picture postings:

Click to view attachment

MM1
icon_bump.gif
MM1
Price drop before it goes to auction . . .

very straight and true Pedrini rims are now mounted

New walkaround and cold start videos are uploaded (please see new video links in updated original post).
MM1
@RobArabian and I did our best to represent the spirit of 914World at Supercar Sunday this morning with Porsche as the featured marque.

Surprisingly, we had the only two 914’s there : a green 6 and a red 8. .
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
MM1
“Red, I” in Irish Green . . . at the stoplight . . .Click to view attachment

Just before this V8 blew the doors off that amazing 6 . . .lol!

Just kidding folks - speed limit always, people!

If only I were still young and foolish though . . . idea.gif

But, alas. . .
MM1
Oh yeah, btw-it was 40° when I left this morning for Supercar Sunday and yet it started right up, went straight to idle and ran flawlessly the rest of the day as usual . . it’s surely making up for decades of slumber. . . so satisfying after nearly a year of effort!
Robarabian
That's you in my rear view mirror!!!!! evilgrin.gif

@mm1

QUOTE(MM1 @ Feb 12 2023, 02:29 PM) *

“Red, I” in Irish Green . . . at the stoplight . . .Click to view attachment

Just before this V8 blew the doors off that amazing 6 . . .lol!

Just kidding folks - speed limit always, people!

If only I were still young and foolish though . . . idea.gif

But, alas. . .

Click to view attachment
MM1
“True dat”, my friend! beerchug.gif

Thank you for that lovely new Renegade front spoiler!
MM1
red914.jpg
rhodyguy
Best sleeper ever. GLWTS.
MM1
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 20 2023, 09:15 PM) *

Best sleeper ever. GLWTS.

Thank you, Sir - funny, a few weeks ago at Super Sunday, a gentleman and his son said the same thing.
MM1
Asking $14,500 OBO - need it gone asap - other projects need space.
MM1
icon_bump.gif
JamesM

I agree didnt look like a factory spoiler but if it is I might consider buying the car so i could swap it with the one on my actual LE (and to have a v8 car because that just seems fun!)
JamesM
QUOTE(JamesM @ May 9 2023, 02:17 PM) *

I agree didnt look like a factory spoiler but if it is I might consider buying the car so i could swap it with the one on my actual LE (and to have a v8 car because that just seems fun!)

I take that back, looks like there could be more than one spoiler here. The one in the picture on the lift looks like an LE spoiler. The one on the car in the video not so much.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.