Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Petepat
So I have the 1.8 L engine which looks like it was injection but now has twin carbs so my understanding is that the timing for a 1.8 is 4.5 BTDC but does that need to change because of the now carburettors? And yes I'm having problems starting!
TheCabinetmaker
The carb guys will correct me. But I think it's 27⁰btdc
r_towle
22-32 at 3000 rpms

See chart

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm
ClayPerrine
The timing is different for a 1.8L engine.

It is 7.5 degrees at 900 RPM.

Clay
r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 24 2023, 04:20 PM) *

The timing is different for a 1.8L engine.

It is 7.5 degrees at 900 RPM.

Clay

properly documented in the article posted.

It also seems that 25-32 at 3k rpms is across the board....not sure though.
the chart goes by distributor number...which I don't know.

Rich
Osnabruck914
F.I. calls for 27 degrees at throttle, which never works for carbs in my experience. You'll be looking for 29-32 degrees. Too low and it will bog out on acceleration and chug-chug in cruise. Too high and you lose torque, run HOT, and your engine will sound like a sewing machine. Also, make sure your not starving for gas with too small main and idle jets. With carbs, go rich and go advanced. With experience you will find the sweet spots.

Osnabruck914
Petepat
Thanks for all the feedback and info guys and as has been said 1.8 L engines are different with only 7.5 degrees BTDC. HOWEVER are all 1.8L engines originally injection and if they were charged to Webbers at a later stage would that change the timing settings?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Petepat @ Jan 25 2023, 04:14 AM) *

Thanks for all the feedback and info guys and as has been said 1.8 L engines are different with only 7.5 degrees BTDC. HOWEVER are all 1.8L engines originally injection and if they were charged to Webbers at a later stage would that change the timing settings?

The 1.8L engine had carbs on it for Europe. It used the same distributor. And of all the stock distributors, the 1.8L distributor is the one to have for carbs. So set it to the factory settings i.e. 7.5 degrees at 900RPM.

Petepat
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 25 2023, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Petepat @ Jan 25 2023, 04:14 AM) *

The 1.8L engine had carbs on it for Europe. It used the same distributor. And of all the stock distributors, the 1.8L distributor is the one to have for carbs. So set it to the factory settings i.e. 7.5 degrees at 900RPM.

_This 914 was first registered in California before it came to France, so would that had made it an injection?
rhodyguy
Until you figure out and fix the fuel supply system, you’re spinning your wheels. Figure a cold start is key to on, hear pump whir, 3 full, kinda slow, pumps of the pedal, engage starter, when it starts feather the peddle a bit and it should idle for you. What is your idle RPM when warm? A clean engine bay is more fun to work in.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
27 degrees btdc at 3500 rpm, you could bump it up to 30 but no more. HOWEVER first check the dwell and set it to 50 or the timing will mean NOTHING

QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Jan 24 2023, 01:22 PM) *

The carb guys will correct me. But I think it's 27⁰btdc

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.