Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Been awhile since I visited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
Hi all, not sure who might remember helping me a few years back when I was fixing up my 1973 signal orange 4 cylinder. Found an old blower motor that I listed for sale and it brought back a flood of memories. I bought the car because I was retiring and wanted something to keep me busy and a smile on my face. Turns out I was not well prepared for that experience. The repairing cars in my youth did not match my expectations of my golden years. Way to much work and frustration. It takes a great group like you to help me through it but I sold the car years ago for a loss.

I miss the car but also miss this forum. It still stings a bit to come back because part of me wants to do it all over again but hopefully I got the "bug" worked out of me. Now I make furniture and odds and end jobs here and there. Just wanted to stop by in this forum to wish all of the older and newer owners best of luck. You will probably know when I stop peeking in here if I sell the old manuals. Just can't let go completely yet.
DRPHIL914
beer.gif

its hard to stay away so i dont try? that would be hard as they say its not just the cars its the people!! Maybe a non-project car might be the way to go, easier to maintain that it is to try and get it to that level, i am glad i started mine 14 years ago when i was in my 40's! I love working on them but i also am at the point of wanting not to spend more time working on it that driving it!.
930cabman
Finding a "completed car" might be an option so you can drive, enjoy and putter with smallish projects and interact with the nut jobs on 914 World aktion035.gif
jhynesrockmtn
I agree with the good condition driver. Even if recently restored, there is always something to do on a 50+ year old car.
Justinp71

Also finding a good reputable shop in the area for maintenance can make or break your experience... once they are sorted out with updated wear components they can be pretty reliable. Especially since your probably only doing 2-4k miles a year.

Just what he needs a whole bunch of guys talking him back into a 914 smile.gif
Root_Werks
I was absent a 914 for about 9 years and purchased my current 914 almost exactly 3 years ago. Life gets in the way sometimes and toys can be put on a backburner for a while.

It's never too late to locate another 914 and get back into the crazy we call 914World. In the meantime, maybe pop in to a local event, see if you can bum a ride in a 914?

driving.gif
mepstein
beerchug.gif
slowrodent
"The repairing cars in my youth did not match my expectations of my golden years. Way to much work and frustration."

I can relate. This is sooo true for me as well. I bought mine as a retirement project too. It's physically tough for me at times, and I'm way slower, but I keep plugging along.
StarBear
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 26 2023, 12:17 PM) *

It's never too late to locate another 914 and get back into the crazy we call 914World. In the meantime, maybe pop in to a local event, see if you can bum a ride in a 914?

driving.gif

@tmc914
Maybe come to the NE Gathering in late June? Always some empty passenger seats available for the Saturday drive! No requirement on the car that gets you there and back home again!
infraredcalvin
While I'd normally be another voice to advocate getting a "done" car, but are they really ever done?

In the meantime, please keep snooping around, I'm sure many would appreciate any insight, experience, lessons learned during your ownership tenure as we've all developed methods/tools/hacks to get and keep these cars on the road.

Sounds like you still have a love for these little cars, that's all that's needed to be a part of this community.

StarBear
Bonus to owning a 914, even an “operating” one: at my age I don’t need those brain/memory pills and software. I have a 914 to keep my problem solving and critical thinking skills well honed. Even when “perfect” a 914 either it isn’t or will soon not be.
A perfect “Mostly Harmless” senior activity!
r_towle
Feel free to come by and visit.
I have a 75 on the lift getting new gaskets, prepping to sell in the spring.
I’m about 15-20 minutes away….

DM me if you want to come take a look at some old Porsches.
Rich
Lockwodo
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 26 2023, 02:31 PM) *

Bonus to owning a 914, even an “operating” one: at my age I don’t need those brain/memory pills and software. I have a 914 to keep my problem solving and critical thinking skills well honed. Even when “perfect” a 914 either it isn’t or will soon not be.

And, it's cheaper than another woman biggrin.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Jan 27 2023, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jan 26 2023, 02:31 PM) *

And, it's cheaper than another woman biggrin.gif happy11.gif

I have my Social Security check direct deposited into my " 914 fund"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.