Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seats - thinking crazy thoughts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I recently got behind the wheel of a 2018 BMW 230i Sportline and my usually aching back fell in love with the seats.

Likely no way to modify to fit in a 914, but keep thinking it may be possible. The styling might look out of place though, especially that head rest.

That said, a pair of used leather seats from that model can be had for ~$500-700- about 1/2 the price of any other leather-clad 914 aftermarket alternative. The bass of the seat is metal with the seat logic taking up a bunch of space between the bottom of the seat and the rails, so seems like a possibility to remove the logic box and mount the 914 rails directly to the base with some modifications. I think the same seats are in the 3 series of that year, too. Anyone here have one that that they can get the dimensions of the seats from? Profile looks similar to a 914 in pictures, minus the headrest.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Chris914n6
I'm sure the seats are wider, but enough to be a problem??

I used 240sx seats in mine. Seat mount bolted to the sides so I used 2" 6061 angle to mount the 914 rails. Pretty straight forward.

IPB Image

IPB Image
JamesM
My issue with every non stock seat I have driven with in a 914 is always either height of the seat bottom (911/any other porsche seat) or the angle of the seat cushion (scheel/konig etc) making for an awkward feeling driving position and pedal actuation.

I have been having some crazy thoughts around seats recently as well, as stock 914 seats are not great when autox'ing, so much so that i recently went through with a purchase of some fixed back 997 GT3 clone seats. I had rode in a buddys car that had them and realized just how low they were and dimensionally similar to a 914 seat.

Probably wont do anything in terms of comfort, but you defiantly are not sliding around in your seat with these bad boys.

Only question now is if I can mount them low enough and at the proper angle on stock seat rails as to retain a stock driving/leg positioning.

If it all works out, the centers are just velcro'ed in cushions that I am thinking of having re-made in early basket weave to match the 914 interior.

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
I put a recaro spg (similar to race seats above) in my car. i mounted them on top of the rails, my helmet ends up rubbing on the padding. I was able to gain an inch by mounting the recaro rails from the top vs the bottom... see my crude sketch (front view)... top sketch is the old way, bottom is the new way that gained me an inch...hopefully this makes sense.

Most aftermarket race style seats have side mounts similar...

Click to view attachment
914sgofast2
As others have noted, the biggest issue is the thickness of the seat cushion bottom and the angle of the backrest/headrest. The 914 has extremely thin seat bottom cushions and a rather upright backrest. If you are 6 ft or taller, headroom becomes a significant problem. Seats with a fixed backrest angle are also a problem, because you cannot put the seat far enough back to get adequate legroom before the backrest hits the rear bulkhead. I would not buy any seat until you physically try to fit it into a 914 and see if it will work for you. (Ask me how I learned NOT to buy new seats without doing a trial fitting!). Adapting seat rails for a different seat is the least of your problems when trying to replace the 914 setas.
JamesM
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jan 25 2023, 04:01 PM) *

I put a recaro spg (similar to race seats above) in my car. i mounted them on top of the rails, my helmet ends up rubbing on the padding. I was able to gain an inch by mounting the recaro rails from the top vs the bottom... see my crude sketch (front view)... top sketch is the old way, bottom is the new way that gained me an inch...hopefully this makes sense.

Most aftermarket race style seats have side mounts similar...

I picked up some side mount rails with the seats but havent check out the fit yet.

Not sure if these are the correct mounting for the seats I picked up, but have been eyeing these as a possible back up.

https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/int914521recstbkpmp

Doesent look like they have any adjustability as far as how high you install the seat though.

Worst case ill just have PMB fab something up. Goal is to have stock (or lower) seat cushion height and angle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.