Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering binding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dherr
I am working on a 1973 914 that I picked up with unknown history. The steering has been binding and I have now put it up in the air to try to see what is happening. The steering rack bushing that is clamped down under the gas tank was pretty bad, so I replaced it and put it all back together. The system is still binding at appears to be an issue with the two joints under the dash as they seem to be at the limit of their angles. Any ideas as to how to lessen the angles, or what I am missing (shims, spacers, etc.) to help improve the angle of the joints under the dash?
dherr
QUOTE(dherr @ Jan 25 2023, 03:02 PM) *

I am working on a 1973 914 that I picked up with unknown history. The steering has been binding and I have now put it up in the air to try to see what is happening. The steering rack bushing that is clamped down under the gas tank was pretty bad, so I replaced it and put it all back together. The system is still binding at appears to be an issue with the two joints under the dash as they seem to be at the limit of their angles. Any ideas as to how to lessen the angles, or what I am missing (shims, spacers, etc.) to help improve the angle of the joints under the dash?

Figured it out. Looks like the previous owner had fitted some large aluminum spacers under the steering rack, I guess to try to minimize bump steer or something, but this was lifting the rack too much and binding the steering. Mounting it back on the stock mount without a spacer and now the steering works properly.
SirAndy
Yeah, those "bump steer" spacers are the worst way to "fix" bump steer since they completely throw off the steering geometry.
And as you already know, can cause binding upstream.

Instead of pushing the whole steering rack down, you can add drop-link spacers at the tie-rod ends.
popcorn[1].gif

IPB Image IPB Image
914sgofast2
Are the u-joints on the steering column properly "clocked" so they are not binding?
dherr
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 25 2023, 05:46 PM) *

Yeah, those "bump steer" spacers are the worst way to "fix" bump steer since they completely throw off the steering geometry.
And as you already know, can cause binding upstream.

Instead of pushing the whole steering rack down, you can add drop-link spacers at the tie-rod ends.
popcorn[1].gif

IPB Image IPB Image

That solution looks like the best way to handle it. This is the problem with these old cars as too many previous owners and hard to tell what is right and what is wrong. Parts diagram helped me after much frustration. Thanks for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.