Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123 Distributor Temp accuracy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nivekdodge
I was just wondering how well the 123 distributor temp gauge works. If you have both have you noticed?

Kevin
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jan 25 2023, 05:39 PM) *

I was just wondering how well the 123 distributor temp gauge works. If you have both have you noticed?

Kevin

I have measured the temp of the distributor housing with a Raytech IR non contact thermometer and it was within a few degrees. I would say pretty accurate.
nivekdodge
Brian
Mine is running at about 175 is that where yours is?
Kevin
Porschef
Wow, never tried this, now I’m curious to see how it compares to the dipstick gauge and the console temp gauge beerchug.gif

jim_hoyland
Are you reading the temp on a Bluetooth 1-2-3 ?
mgphoto
The temps are different, the 123 displays the temperature of the distributor, the cabin gauge reads oil temperature as does the dipstick which can go much higher than the 210* where the 123 operates between 175 and 210*F.
Porschef
Yes, now I do remember there being a potential problem with them running too hot, although I’ve never had an issue with that
nivekdodge
Yes I am trying to see where too hot is for the engine with the temp of the distributor and how that compares to the rest of the motor. What is too hot for a type4?

Kevin
nditiz1
Too hot is when your heads are cooking past 400. Stop reading oil temps and get a CHT under #3 plug.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.