Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: original color guards red
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lkeigwin
My 1975 1.8 is guards red and that is the original color. I think that is a rare color on a 914 (if original) and I wonder if it was a special order. Has anyone compiled data on original colors?

Thanks, Lloyd
Cairo94507
I have never had a red 914, but I do not ever recall hearing of one from the factory in GR. beerchug.gif
sixaddict
There are a couple of books listing/showing standard colors.
Dr Brett Johnson’s 914 …Restorer’s guide to Authenticity shows 75 MY reds as:
Malaga Red L30C
Scarlet (Mars) Red L31M
What is paint code on drivers door plate…..
Hope that helps
(Guards Red not listed on any year)
SirAndy
QUOTE(lkeigwin @ Jan 26 2023, 05:34 AM) *

My 1975 1.8 is guards red and that is the original color. I think that is a rare color on a 914 (if original) and I wonder if it was a special order. Has anyone compiled data on original colors?

Thanks, Lloyd

This should help:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

Guards Red was never a standard color for the 914.

If yours came that way from the factory the paint code on your drivers side door jamb should read 98 or L98 (Custom Porsche Color).
bye1.gif

PS:
welcome.png
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Probably Scarlet or Mars red, what is the color code on the plate between the drivers door hinges?

L31M ?

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 26 2023, 06:42 AM) *

There are a couple of books listing/showing standard colors.
Dr Brett Johnson’s 914 …Restorer’s guide to Authenticity shows 75 MY reds as:
Malaga Red L30C
Scarlet (Mars) Red L31M
What is paint code on drivers door plate…..
Hope that helps
(Guards Red not listed on any year)

lkeigwin
Sorry, I should have known better than to post without documentation. The paint code is 98. See attachment. Some time ago I convinced myself it is guards red, so if code 98 only means it was a non-standard color, shouldn't there be a way for a body shop to order the right paint?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(lkeigwin @ Jan 26 2023, 05:35 PM) *
Sorry, I should have known better than to post without documentation. The paint code is 98. See attachment. Some time ago I convinced myself it is guards red, so if code 98 only means it was a non-standard color, shouldn't there be a way for a body shop to order the right paint?

Guards Red has a lot of orange in it. Especially in sunlight, it will have a noticeable orange tint to it.
My 914 was Guards Red when i bought it (not original color) and i had it repainted with factory Guards Red again some 15+ years ago.

A good automotive paint shop should be able to match your color to a official paint code as long as you have some of the original color left on the car somewhere (i see paint over-spray on that tag, so its been repainted at least once).

Can you post a picture of the whole car?
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 26 2023, 05:41 PM) *
My 914 was Guards Red when i bought it (not original color) and i had it repainted with factory Guards Red again some 15+ years ago.

Here's mine, with the wife's matching hair.
biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
BR9
Here's a thread on code 98.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42416
Van B
That’s really cool! How’s the condition?
Montreal914
welcome.png

and... biggrin.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Bagpype
My 1970 is a rare Bahia Red. 914s definitely came in red.
targa72e
Might be worth getting a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from Porsche to see what the original color actually was. Sounds like it could be a Porsche color not offered that year/ model or a custom paint to order color.

john
SirAndy
QUOTE(targa72e @ Jan 26 2023, 09:12 PM) *
Might be worth getting a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from Porsche to see what the original color actually was. Sounds like it could be a Porsche color not offered that year/ model or a custom paint to order color.

98 means it is a Porsche color. Paint to sample would be 99.

The old CoA style does not exist anymore.
I'm not sure the new ones would be able to tell you what color car actually is/was.
dry.gif
wonkipop
some original unfaded color might be down in the fuel tank cavity region.
or if the whole body shell was not repainted at some stage should be plenty of weak half arsed spray all up under the dashboard area or under carpet along interior sills.
beerchug.gif

or poke around in engine bay. behind where the insulation pad was.
or down below underneath the engine.

depends if it had a full repaint at some stage in its career.
Geezer914
Testors Model Master paints makes a guards red. Great for touching up paint chips. Look up Auto Color Library. 1987 Porsche 911 came in Guards Red.Click to view attachment
Jamie
QUOTE(lkeigwin @ Jan 26 2023, 05:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Obviously a respray since there is paint bleed under the tape on the corners of the label.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(targa72e @ Jan 26 2023, 10:12 PM) *

john

I agree., see if the factory certificate of authenticity will identify YOUR 98 color
Geezer914
Look at the door sticker showing the serial number with the punch holes. What color are the holes?. That will be the original color.
wonkipop
QUOTE(BR9 @ Jan 26 2023, 08:48 PM) *

enjoyed that link. very interesting.

there is a guards red listed there in dave p's initial post.
a 74.
makes sense. porsche introduced g red on 911s in 74.
anything before 74 could not be g red? anything after could be.

@lkeigwin - if your car is at the body shop your paint man should be able to sand down through the paint layers to see if there is anything else there under the top layers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.