Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sitting sideways in stock seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gnomefabtech
Hello All-

I took a break from the 914 thing but now I'm back after a few year putting a barn found 73 back together. I modded some stock seats to have side bolsters and now that I put them in I notice that the driver's seat isn't really in line with the steering wheel but off to the right a bit. Stock seats, stock mounts. Is this normal? My last 914 has aftermarket seats so I don't have a point of reference. av-943.gif
gnomefabtech
Also. How do I post a picture here?
rjames
That's normal. It threw me for a loop, too, when I replaced my floor pans and then put the seat back in. I thought I had misaligned the brackets that the seat rails attach to when I welded them in.
mepstein
I’ve owned a 914 since I was 16. Sitting in one always feels normal to me and I didn’t get the “offset” until someone pointed it out to me. Since it was an early car, I’m also used to reaching for the wiper switch on the dash.
914Sixer
Part of the crash safety engineering that was ahead of the times.
gnomefabtech
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll do more stretching on the right side.

Still can't post a pic of my seats though. I'm getting some error when I upload the image.
Superhawk996
Pretty much all vehicles have an offset. Some more, some less.

It depends on the vehicle architecture. Vehicles with a tall transmission tunnel and or wide wheel wells are typically the worst.

Although the 914 has a low tunnel, the front wheel wells intrude on the passenger compartment quite a lot. This drives the pedals toward the center line. After that the steering wheel and the seat just follow.
SirAndy
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Jan 26 2023, 05:34 PM) *
Still can't post a pic of my seats though.

Try the nailed FAQ thread, it has info about adding pictures.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94568
bye1.gif
SirAndy
This might explain it better

Spoke
Not only the steering wheel, but the peddles are skewed towards the center of the car and not in line with the seat.
Montreal914
Imperfection is perfection! driving.gif smile.gif
wonkipop
the skew whiff thing is nothing to complain about left hand drive.

wait till you have to sit skewed in a RHD beetle, type 3 or worst of all a 914.
thats when you really sweat the clutch pedal, the steering wheel and the seat as you do your conversion of a "never made" rhd 914.

it kind of works in beetles and 911s. nice and narrow between the seats.
a 914 is so wiiiiiiiiiide.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
lkeigwin
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Jan 26 2023, 07:26 PM) *

Hello All-

I took a break from the 914 thing but now I'm back after a few year putting a barn found 73 back together. I modded some stock seats to have side bolsters and now that I put them in I notice that the driver's seat isn't really in line with the steering wheel but off to the right a bit. Stock seats, stock mounts. Is this normal? My last 914 has aftermarket seats so I don't have a point of reference. av-943.gif

Jamie
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 26 2023, 10:39 PM) *

the skew whiff thing is nothing to complain about left hand drive.

wait till you have to sit skewed in a RHD beetle, type 3 or worst of all a 914.
thats when you really sweat the clutch pedal, the steering wheel and the seat as you do your conversion of a "never made" rhd 914.

it kind of works in beetles and 911s. nice and narrow between the seats.
a 914 is so wiiiiiiiiiide.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I can't even imagine trying to shift gears with my Left hand in a RHD car of any type!!! hissyfit.gif
gnomefabtech
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 26 2023, 05:55 PM) *

This might explain it better

That diagram is pretty interesting. Thanks for posting.
gnomefabtech
My image was too big before. So here are the seats I "made". Don't zoom in too far because I am not a pro upholstery person and I sewed the bolster sides myself. That said, they are way better than stock seats.
Click to view attachment
MM1
The "angled to center" implementation seems especially prominent on mid-engined vehicles for packaging reasons, etc.

I'll never forget the first time I sat in and drove my friends 1975 Dino 308 GT4 . . .the skew was initially quite disturbing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.