Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best oscillating saw tool blade to use for 914 windshield removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
Like the title says, I'd like some input on the most appropriate oscillating tool blade to remove a 914 windshield using a standard Ryobi oscillating saw / tool. I saw a glass tech remove do a driveway windshield R&R on a Passat TDI and it looked like he used a Fein saw with an "L" shaped (on the tool end) blade and was pointy and flexible on the cutting end.

I did a quick net search and I didn't see any blades that looked like that.
mlindner
I just did mine with fine wire pulled back and forth. Must keep wire close to glass on the inside as to not cut the vinyl trim. Also taped the outer painted edges. Only took 20 min. Best, Mark
914rrr
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 27 2023, 10:57 AM) *

Thanks Zach, that's the one I was guessing after watching a few you Tube videos. Could these be ordered through other vendors like Home Depot, etc.?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(914rrr @ Jan 27 2023, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jan 27 2023, 10:57 AM) *

Thanks Zach, that's the one I was guessing after watching a few you Tube videos. Could these be ordered through other vendors like Home Depot, etc.?

Maybe? But Home Depot and Lowes don't carry a lot of specialty stuff. Probably any autoglass local to you has them. Also Graingers and probably McMaster-Carr and Northern Tool.

That said, I've seen pros break windshields with the normal hook knife. Putting this blade on a tool might be faster but I'd imagine would also make it easier to break the glass. Be cautious.

Zach
rhodyguy
Best done with the trim removed and after the car has sat in the sun. What ever the window was sit in gets rock hard. A long drawn out process. In my experience. It goes pretty smooth until you get to the corners. I bought a pro tool that was useless. Plan on a potential windshield purchase in your budget.
BillJ
Ii used steel wire. Took about 20 minutes going slow and cerful. Glass came out perfectly.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 27 2023, 10:54 AM) *

Ii used steel wire. Took about 20 minutes going slow and cerful. Glass came out perfectly.

agree.gif

Used this method a dozen times, slow, but always seems to work. Only broken 2, maybe 3 windshields out of at least 12.

As others have said, tape edges to protect and a second pair of hands really help, especially when lifting glass out.
DaveB
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 27 2023, 10:54 AM) *

This works but I used a heat gun to warm each side before cutting.

DaveB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.